Beer of the Week

jdolson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 4, 2006
God's Country
We have family in Longmont, CO. I have a new favorite, Avery IPA, from the Avery Brewing Co. in Boulder. That area is the mecca for micro brews. Love it every time we go out!

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Re: CycloneFanatic Beer of the Week

I like the idea here. But I need to make some clarification. What I had in mind is there will be a recommended beer of the week. You can go buy it and try it out, post a review and leave some comments. I am not to keen on rambling posts of obscure beers that people have had, or which is better between Blue Moon and Weihenstephaner. Obscure beers can be recommended, but I would prefer to keep the focus on the beer that is in the spotlight. It would take me years to work through the beers at Cyclone Liquors if I tried them one by one, and I would like to rotate between beer styles so that we are really getting variety.

Oh, I know totally where you're going with this...consider my suggestion an offshoot. It's more of a small gathering situation, should one ever want to try something similar in person with their friends instead of solely online.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown

I'm not a big fan of the Leinie's. If you want a good wheat, wait for Sam Adam's Summer Ale. It'll be out in a few months, and it's delish.

The beer club is a great idea, btw. We should limit membership to those who don't drink bud/miller light exclusively though. :)

Next up for Sammy's is the sping white ale, which is good, since i am tired of the winter ale now. I LOVE this idea of everyone getting the same beer and rating it!

What do we start with? And who gets to choose?

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Lets do it on thurs, so we can have time to get a 6er before the weekend!

Broodwich

Nov 22, 2006
42.186391, -93.598597
I would think Friday, since that's when most people are heading out to drink....but I dunno....maybe more of you drink during the week.

I thought Friday would be best too. I would like to get a list of suggested candidates from those who are interested.

Here are the ground rules:

1) No beers from major domestic breweries. That means no beers that are widely marketed by the big two of Anheuser-Busch or MillerCoors.

Off limits are beers like Killian's (Coors), Rolling Rock(AB), Blue Moon(Coors) and Leinenkugels(Miller), Pabst(Miller). These are common beers and really aren't eye openers.

Domestic beers that are fair game? Beers from minor regional breweries like Schell, Iron City, Spoetzl and our own Olde Main Brewing Company in Ames, IA.

2) Beers must be locally available at liquor or grocery stores. We're not going to put a Westvleteren as a candidate for Beer of th Week. If we can't find it on the shelves, it's not going to make the cut. We will always post where I purchased it, and how much it cost.

3) No two consecutive beer types. We will try to always have contrasting beers types, locations and flavors from one week to the next. So you will never have a lager-to-lager, or stout-to-stout during BOTW.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Yeah we can do that, as long as it is not just a repacking of the same crap like miller chill or something. Like if Lineys comes out with something new, we can do that. But not Bud Dry Ice or something.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
Great Idea.

Sunset wheat is one of the worst beers I've tried in recent memory. It reminds me of fruit loops that have been soaked in milk for too long. It's really nasty, IMO.

The only problem may be finding "reviewable" beers that are widely available. I mean, you aren't going to find anything spectacular, or even somewhat unique, at BWW, Old Chicago or your local neighborhood bar, IMO.

Maybe larger brewery seasonals or something (Sam Adams comes to mind).

Also, Colorado has some awesome microbreweries. Yeti imperial stout from Great Divide is great, as is Hazed and Infused from the Boulder Beer Company.

I'm a huge fan of beers from Bells brewery in Comstock, MI as well. Two Hearted is one of the best beers I've ever had, period. Even including Trappist ales.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown

Ding Ding Ding...we have a winner!

So who is going to step up and suggest this weeks?

I love to try new wheat beers! Been drinking New Belgiums sunshine wheat lately again, I just really like it to have one nice big glass in the evening.

Broodwich

Nov 22, 2006
42.186391, -93.598597

I love to try new wheat beers! Been drinking New Belgiums sunshine wheat lately again, I just really like it to have one nice big glass in the evening.

I've got 3 months worth of ideas because of have been on beer safari for the better part of a year. I am just waiting to hear what others want.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown

I've got 3 months worth of ideas because of have been on beer safari for the better part of a year. I am just waiting to hear what others want.

I have one I have been waiting to try, so let me know when you run out and I will make a suggestion.

whirlybirds

Oct 25, 2007
Knoxville, IA
ive always wanted to try Brahma Beer, but not sure if you can find it around here or not. It is brewed in sao paulo, brazil and is the best selling brand of beer in the western hemisphere outside of the united states. if anyone comes across it let me know

Bovine

Jan 15, 2008

I would recommend Hoegaarden or Erdinger if you have not tried them.