Best Campustown Bars by Decade

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
A lotta love for Thumbs and that's awesome.
Eons ago they used to have a "dog and pony show."
It was maybe Fridays where you'd get a grilled hot dog and a High Life pony beer for maybe a buck if not less.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
In the late 1980s, I primarily hung out at Cy's, Welch Ave, and That Place/Top of the Town. Sometimes Peoples or Thumbs up but not often.

Freshman year I had my first legal drink at Grand Daddies when it was behind the Burger King where Sam Mack committed armed robbery. Legal drinking age was 19.

I went to Cy's with my son the night before his ISU graduation a couple of years ago, Cy's was not the same place I remember. It had a dance floor, WTF.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
In the late 1980s, I primarily hung out at Cy's, Welch Ave, and That Place/Top of the Town. Sometimes Peoples or Thumbs up but not often.

Freshman year I had my first legal drink at Grand Daddies when it was behind the Burger King where Sam Mack committed armed robbery. Legal drinking age was 19.

I went to Cy's with my son the night before his ISU graduation a couple of years ago, Cy's was not the same place I remember. It had a dance floor, WTF.
Dance floor!

Free for All Hellscape.JPG

NY Chicago Fan

Mar 17, 2023
This thread is indisputable proof of inflation. I couldn't fathom how I'd survive with some of these insanely low prices.
My review of ISU '98-'99 would be you could not afford not to drink

Although paying for Long Island Ice Tea's in the Dean's List mugs was a bad idea at any price

• Winner
Reactions: flynnhicks03

flynnhicks03

The Man That You Love to Hate
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
www.mapcon.com

Although paying for Long Island Ice Tea's in the Dean's List mugs was a bad idea at any price
Yup, that drink special sent me to my one and only night in the drunk tank (Spring '97).

Edit: during my time, you could take ANY mug, and we had some big ass mugs.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011

Just hearing the words, "Long Island Ice Teas" is giving me a hangover.

• Haha
Reactions: bozclone

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
Just hearing the words, "Long Island Ice Teas" is giving me a hangover.
Welch had $2 Long Islands one summer I was in Ames. Pretty sure the most damage I did to my body via alcohol occurred that summer.

clydeclone

Feb 27, 2014
I was there from 81-86

The Maintenance Shop
The Mississippi Queen
Grand Daddys
Tradewinds
Sportsmans
That Place
Top O the Town
Whiskey River
Tip Top
The Fox Lounge
Foxy Lady
Lucalans
Barnabees
Cave In
Thumbs Up
Cy's Roost and Dons Deli
Lost and Found Lounge
The Library
Welch Ave Station
The Fieldhouse
The Billboard
Johnnys Ringside Lounge
Dugan Deli
Torks Pub
Razzbar

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
2001- 2005, obviously didn't go to the bars until 2003-2005.

But we always went to Paddys and Welch Ave. There was always someone who wanted to go down to Sips, which was lame.

Es Tas used to be on Welch, and it was fun for a Pink Taco and a Jager Bomb.

I never liked People's because I hated cover charges. In hindsight, I probably should have gone more.

Reactions: crs8975

cal-cyclone

Dec 8, 2022
early 90's here....
M-shop + outdoor FAC w/ bands, close to campus for the end of the week, my first legal beer was at the MShop with their free popcorn after class
Dugan's Deli - close to the design building, my gf at the time worked there , so sometimes the drinks were very inexpensive
People's - Tom was nice to local bands sometimes and would give us free beer, really crowded at times in my era, great bands, decent drink specials, it was always busy
Thumb's / Lost and Found / Welch Av St.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
A lotta love for Thumbs and that's awesome.
Eons ago they used to have a "dog and pony show."
It was maybe Fridays where you'd get a grilled hot dog and a High Life pony beer for maybe a buck if not less.
The last time I was at Thumb's they were offering "Ham & Eggs",

It was like $3 for a pickled egg and a Hamm's. I had multiples.

• Funny
Reactions: jcyclonee

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I remember that. I think it benefited from having space and being a tier below Cy's/Paddy's/Mickey's as far as name recognition and popularity. Then it became packed like any other bar around Welch.
When it was good they had some decent live music and obviously had a lot more room than some places but I just really can’t remember why we quit going there.
I also observed the same. It hit a point where I just ended up at Cafe B for a few shots of Starry Night and an inappropriate amount of Long Islands. If able from there it was either up to Welch Ave Station by way of a Super Dog or Paddys by way of the gyroman. On occasion a fishbowl or two at Element was the starter for the night.
2005 to 2009 bar scene.
Our group hammered Element fishbowls for FAC my senior year. I will say that I loved Sgt Peppers FAC my junior year. Was sad to see it go.

Reactions: SolarGarlic

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

They what?! There only needs to three dance floors: Mickeys, Sips, and Outlaws. All serve a different purpose but together, all purposes served.

• Agree
Reactions: bozclone

Cypwr

Mar 18, 2006
Ameskeny
I don’t remember country kitchen, but know there was something there for about a year before okoboji grill. Country kitchen may have been the one before the roughly one year stint that was in it. I drove that route from fall of 90 to fall of 94.
I do not know about those specific years but it was Country Kitchen for many years at least starting in the 80's. There were 2 CK's in Ames with second location on South Duff. The North Grand one did close before the one on Duff. My wife was their insurance agent.

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
‘00-‘03

FAC - Mickeys and Lumpys for quarter draws. Played flip cup in Lumpys.

Live music - Peoples

Saturday night - Mickeys, after 10pm they had 2fers shots in the basement.

Thursday night - was $10 cover and coin you call it at “chasers” (I think that was the name)

Away football games or post early home football games, Welch Ave Station, good drinks, pizza pit was up stairs and Brooke Burke watched you pee. (It is still the same and that is awesome)

Thumbs was always a good off the main grid place to chill.

Sips if you were drunk and looking to hook up.

Somewhere downtown was a bar that had coin you call it pitchers on Wednesday I think. Remember my buddy puking in a pitcher under that table.

If you were too young for that get $5-$10 bucks and walk campus Ave on Thursday-Saturday night and you were sure to find a good house party.

Reactions: nrg4isu

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
‘00-‘03

FAC - Mickeys and Lumpys for quarter draws. Played flip cup in Lumpys.

Live music - Peoples

Saturday night - Mickeys, after 10pm they had 2fers shots in the basement.

Thursday night - was $10 cover and coin you call it at “chasers” (I think that was the name)

Away football games or post early home football games, Welch Ave Station, good drinks, pizza pit was up stairs and Brooke Burke watched you pee. (It is still the same and that is awesome)

Thumbs was always a good off the main grid place to chill.

Sips if you were drunk and looking to hook up.

Somewhere downtown was a bar that had coin you call it pitchers on Wednesday I think. Remember my buddy puking in a pitcher under that table.

If you were too young for that get $5-$10 bucks and walk campus Ave on Thursday-Saturday night and you were sure to find a good house party.
House parties were always good. You made “good” friends when drunk but had no idea who they were the next day. Would go party hopping with a couple guys I only ever called bud or dude. Never did know their names for that semester.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
Dean's List had Silver Coin Night on Friday's from like 98-01 and we'd walk from our Stanton apartment to the Kum & Go and get a roll of nickels and drink for the rest of the night.

Who else remembers Honky Dory's out on HWY 30 around those same years. That could also be a fun time.
Those were the days man.

Reactions: dahliaclone

RedlineSi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Twin Cities
This is such a great thread.

‘01-‘05ish

We spent a lot of time at People’s, Paddy’s, Cy’s, Sips, Dean’s list, and FAC at Mickey’s. I’m still not sure how I survived Fridays. Like we legit met at Mickey’s around 4pm and went until 2am +.

People’s was prob my favorite when they had Kentucky Friend Mullet. Towards the end, we ended up at Paddy’s often, especially Tuesday nights for darts. I remember it was so busy sometimes my friends would drag us down into Lumpy’s.

We’d go to Mo-Jazz too, but they started getting in trouble towards the end of my time in Ames.

Last edited: