Best "Cheap" Beer

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
If you are in a state that sells it, Yuengling is pretty cheap.
I really wish this got distributed in Iowa.... I have a buddy from PA that always brings a ton of their stuff when he heads back for visits, great beer!!!

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
Grain Belt is an excellent choice, and probably my pick for "best" cheap beer. Both Premium and Nordeast are decent and get bonus points for coming in pint cans.

Others not listed that I've had and would have again are Narragansett and Michelob Golden Light Draft.

I can't taste a single bit of difference among the cheap Pabst beers...PBR, Stroh's, Old Milwaukee, Natty Boh, Lone Star...they all taste identical (and terrible).

I'm not sure I'd categorize Yuengling as a "cheap" beer. In Florida at least, it's usually priced between stuff like Pabst and craft beer.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
Grain Belt is an excellent choice, and probably my pick for "best" cheap beer. Both Premium and Nordeast are decent and get bonus points for coming in pint cans.

Others not listed that I've had and would have again are Narragansett and Michelob Golden Light Draft.

I can't taste a single bit of difference among the cheap Pabst beers...PBR, Stroh's, Old Milwaukee, Natty Boh, Lone Star...they all taste identical (and terrible).

I'm not sure I'd categorize Yuengling as a "cheap" beer. In Florida at least, it's usually priced between stuff like Pabst and craft beer.

Yuengling is cheap beer.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
Yeah, 'cheap' is definitely relative.

To me, it's not cheap if you can't get 30 (regularly priced) for <$20.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying

I've bought Yuengling in Ohio, TN, PA, and some east coast states and its usually been $16-17 a case.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
If you are in a state that sells it, Yuengling is pretty cheap.

I have a 6-pack of Yuengling in my fridge right now that cost me $5.99.

I know cheap beers come in cases and cans, not sixers and bottles, but I still wanted to share

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
Yeah, 'cheap' is definitely relative.

To me, it's not cheap if you can't get 30 (regularly priced) for <$20.

That's my relative comparison, too.

Where I've seen Yuengling, it's $6.99/6-pack. That's still cheap compared to craft beers, but it's not dirt cheap like Keystone, High Life, PBR, and so on that you can get a 6-pack for for less than $5. $6.99 puts it in the same category as stuff like Killian's, Shock Top, Leinenkugel's, Amber Bock, Molson, and some of the weird Budweiser stuff.

I guess I'm trying to say that's a "middle" category.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
Yeah and what we're saying is that you're getting screwed and paying too much for Pabst-level beer.

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
I wouldn't consider Nordeast that cheap, its usually over a dollar a bottle which would be my diving line.
Grain Belt Premium and Yuengling at the top end of my cheap range and Hamm's as my bargain basement beer of choice.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
You know what's not a good cheap beer? Minhas
Does Kum & Go still have their own beer? That was really bad.