Best "Cheap" Beer

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I always liked Rolling Rock as a cheap beer. Problem with it is that it isn't always on sale like Miller Light, Bush Light, Keystone, etc. Once in a while Fareway will have it for $15-16 for a 30 box.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
If you drink it fast enough, you don't have to worry about it

The only way that's true is if you're talking about chugging it fast enough that you don't taste it.

I'll give GB credit in the fact that they really enclose their 12 packs to cut down the light, but still, every clear glass beer I've drank has at least some light struck tinge to it.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Since I'm on my clear glass rant, another funny thing, that 'cheap' beer comes in cans and the craft beer scene has primarily stuck with bottles. Now, from a capital standpoint, it's cheaper to get a bottling line up than a canning line, but cans are much better for beer overall than glass bottles.

harty83

Nov 15, 2006
Sioux Falls SD
I liked Pabst Blue Ribbon before it was the hipster beer of choice. Maybe they've already moved on? I don't keep up with that stuff.
Second choice is High Life.
Wanting to go back and try Old Style and Schlitz, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
I liked Pabst Blue Ribbon before it was the hipster beer of choice. Maybe they've already moved on? I don't keep up with that stuff.
Second choice is High Life.
Wanting to go back and try Old Style and Schlitz, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Schlitz is pretty good, they 'went back' to an earlier recipe, but I wonder if they're gonna try and upsell it out of the cheap beer category.

Reactions: Cyismymonkey

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
Since I'm on my clear glass rant, another funny thing, that 'cheap' beer comes in cans and the craft beer scene has primarily stuck with bottles. Now, from a capital standpoint, it's cheaper to get a bottling line up than a canning line, but cans are much better for beer overall than glass bottles.

"Better" is relative. Glass still is better in a lot of ways than cans, depending on the cans, canning line, seamer and QA/QC program.

And for many craft beers, bottles make a lot more sense. For beers that are "time-sensitive" (think: enjoy in a month or less from packaging), I'd argue that bottles are probably a better package because you can generally get lower dissolved oxygen numbers, even if they creep up over time due to penetration of the crown liner and leaching through the glass. And for aging beers, I think corked and caged bottles are probably a better option as well. For everything else, though, cans are probably a better package - IF - they are done well. Otherwise, it's a flavor nightmare.