Best "Cheap" Beer

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Schells makes good beer. It's kind of odd how close they are to Iowa and you don't hear a whole lot about them.
Old, historic company.

Not a cheap beer but their Snowstorm Oat Stout this season is quite good. I say that despite not being a huge stout fan. Definitely a brand of choice once I was old enough to legally purchase beer, that and Boulevard.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Schells makes good beer. It's kind of odd how close they are to Iowa and you don't hear a whole lot about them.
Old, historic company.

Part of the problem is that they don't distribute their whole line up out of state very often. They obviously distribute to Iowa, but it isn't that consistent, and there's lots of stuff they don't send out of Minnesota. Same applies with other neighboring states.

Schell's is one of my favorite breweries, honestly. The tour is awesome, and they make so many really good beers while mostly avoiding getting wrapped up in the goofy fads of the day. They did add a sour beer program, but it's in a completely different building under a different brand (Starkeller), and it's more of your classic Foeder sours instead of Mango Marshmallow Peanut Butter Banana Muffin sours.

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Part of the problem is that they don't distribute their whole line up out of state very often. They obviously distribute to Iowa, but it isn't that consistent, and there's lots of stuff they don't send out of Minnesota. Same applies with other neighboring states.

Schell's is one of my favorite breweries, honestly. The tour is awesome, and they make so many really good beers while mostly avoiding getting wrapped up in the goofy fads of the day. They did add a sour beer program, but it's in a completely different building under a different brand (Starkeller), and it's more of your classic Foeder sours instead of Mango Marshmallow Peanut Butter Banana Muffin sours.

Yeah, Schell's definitely isn't a brewer to jump on fads. They still don't even have an IPA as a regular option or seasonal option. despite that craze having started long ago.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Yeah, Schell's definitely isn't a brewer to jump on fads. They still don't even have an IPA as a regular option or seasonal option. despite that craze having started long ago.

They actually made one last year. It's ok.

ThHahiDtaEdzoHv2xm8FAI1uEGlS5v6-Saa4AACjv_coeXv-wA2w6kNmsWzW6_6BI6yxzLMoAq9KWACKYdWSkIxqNl3UmPs=s750

cyphoon

Sep 8, 2011
Old Style: costs about the same as Busch Light. Tastes better than bud heavy with about the same alcohol content.

Keystone light : Coors Light in a can that costs less

With less popular beers, you have to find someplace that goes through a lot of it, preferably chilled.

1611940870327.png

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: CYCLNST8