Best way to make beef brisket in a crock pot!

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Lol, are cigarettes bad for you? So what makes you think eating meat that's been infused with chemicals from burning wood is any healthier?
This is so ******* stupid. The link between cancer and eating grilled meats is tenuous at best, and nowhere near smoking. Eating smoked or grilled meat for every meal is probably a bad idea for many reasons including cancer risk, but enjoying the occasional smoked rib is not going to be worse for you than any other marginally unhealthy food.

• Agree
Reactions: CYdTracked

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
This is so ******* stupid. The link between cancer and eating grilled meats is tenuous at best, and nowhere near smoking. Eating smoked or grilled meat for every meal is probably a bad idea for many reasons including cancer risk, but enjoying the occasional smoked rib is not going to worse for you than any other marginally unhealthy food.

You’re telling me moderation is the way to go? I want to subscribe to your other secrets

• Haha
Reactions: Farnsworth and CYDJ

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
This blows my mind. My in laws won't eat it unless it's a hockey puck. The looks they get when we go to nice steakhouses and they ask for well done are of utter disbelief.

One of the first date nights my now wife and I had I grilled steaks medium (which is still more than I normally want it cooked) and she asked if it was OK to eat and know she wouldn't get food poisoning. She said it was the most flavorful steak she'd ever had. I thought she was totally full of ****. 4th of July meet her parents...and they made "steaks" I'm not even sure our dog would've eaten. My wife then volunteered me to do all grilling from that point forward.

I also believe their grilling sucks because they break rule #1 of grilling...some sort of booze is absolutely required. I'm confident the grill gods don't take kindly to that.

***note: if pregnant or nursing well done/booze rules do not apply***
I think she got it from her mom, who grew up very poor on a North Dakota dairy farm. It doesn't matter what she cooks, it's over done and under seasoned. I think her dad knows a little better, but cooking is woman's work so he just can't be bothered.

I don’t mean to imply poor people can't cook or have a really great palate, but when you take baths in a galvanized tub with water you hand pumped and then heated on the stove, it makes sense that you prioritize food safety over taste. I know that was a common way to bathe for a long time, but not in the 60s when her mom was in high school.

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
Processed meats can be bad for you, but it is awfully hard to call smoked meat processed. Most processed meats use chemicals for the preservative and flavor. ####, to much tofu is bad for you.

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
Smoked meat is about the worst thing you can possibly eat. Might as well just eat straight ashes, you'll get the same amount of cancer causing carcinogens.

This and your grammar enforcement are fun killers. Do you drink soda water or tonic water at parties?

MisterO

Proverbs 19:11
Dec 6, 2020
In Texas, where I live, pinto beans are a big part of the menu at some steak houses and bbq joints. Some will have the beans with generous amounts of brisket and it’s to die for…so here’s how I’ve learned to cook mine:

1. Add 4 or 5 slices brisket (untrimmed) to a crock pot. Add water to submerge the meat and season to your preference. Salt, pepper, and maybe a seasoned salt. The brisket slices should be 1/2 in to 3/4” thick. You will only use about 1/2 the brisket or less. Wrap and freeze and save it for the next one.

2. Let it cook for 4 hours on high. Make sure to add water to keep meat moist.

3. Add 2 cups of washed pinto beans to your meat. I also like to add 2 whole jalapeños (cut off the stems), a handful of chopped cilantro (stems only- not the leafy part), and a few slices of bacon that I cooked first on the grill for 5-7 minutes.

4. Let cook for several hours and continue to stir, add occasional seasoning, and make sure water level keeps meat moist.

5. When meat is tender, remove slices and trim the meat (I just use two forks, remove the fat and shred the meat). I also like to drain off some of the liquid fat.

6. Return the meat to the beans in the crock pot. Let simmer on low heat for another couple of hours. Enjoy.

This is a project and will take 14-18 hours depending on how much meat you use. It fluctuates and depends on the amount of meat you use. I believe less meat is more in this case as this is to make beans that just happens to have a lot of meat in them. I’ve done this for years and have tweaked it over the years. Turns out great.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: cstrunk and CYDJ

CyInDFW

Aug 14, 2015
Lewisville, TX
Also. Every hour, spray it with a mixture of water and apple vinegar lightly to keep it moist.

take the internal temp up to 195 degrees.
Would do it more like every 2 hours. As long as you have a pan of liquid in there, you shouldn't need to spray any more than every 2 hours at most

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Add my wife too the list that wants her meats cooked well done. Drives me nuts as a guy that likes medim to medium rare beef and just a touch of pink with pork. At least got my 7 year old on board with eating steak done the way I like it as once she tried my steak likes it more than the burnt up steak my wife prefers. I always point out I've eat my steak this way my whole life and has not killed me yet for being "undercooked" in her mind.

When I go to certain restaurants I may order medium instead of medium rare as have been served steaks that were more on the rare side that I had a hard time cutting it with a steak knife. Every place seems to have their own interpretation of what medium rare is.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
king-of-the-hill___taste_the_meat.jpg

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
When I go to certain restaurants I may order medium instead of medium rare as have been served steaks that were more on the rare side that I had a hard time cutting it with a steak knife. Every place seems to have their own interpretation of what medium rare is.

Ain't that the truth. I like mine on the rare side of medium.

This is why I usually just cook my own steaks.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Add my wife too the list that wants her meats cooked well done. Drives me nuts as a guy that likes medim to medium rare beef and just a touch of pink with pork. At least got my 7 year old on board with eating steak done the way I like it as once she tried my steak likes it more than the burnt up steak my wife prefers. I always point out I've eat my steak this way my whole life and has not killed me yet for being "undercooked" in her mind.

I've heard that most of the time in restaurants they'll cook your steak 1/2 a step down from what you actually order. I've always ordered my steaks medium, and pretty much every time they come to the table medium rare. But I'm with @CtownCyclone , I don't usually order steak when we're out to eat anymore, would rather get something I couldn't do just as well on my own.

JayV

Really Big Member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2012
Smoked meat is about the worst thing you can possibly eat. Might as well just eat straight ashes, you'll get the same amount of cancer causing carcinogens.

No. There have been studies saying that smoking meat introduces carcinogens. But it's a long way from "about the worst thing you can possibly eat."

Here's a link from the Moffitt Cancer Center with more info.

Edit: Also "cancer causing carcinogens" ? What other kind are there?

• Agree
Reactions: MisterO