Big 12 adds Beach volleyball

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
With this add, I'd be curious to see if ISU adds a team. Fun fact..... at an ISU tailgate tour stop maybe something like 8 years ago, I asked CJL if we would ever add a beach volleyball team and she shocked me by saying it was already in the works. Needless to say, I'm still waiting on that announcement.....

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
With this add, I'd be curious to see if ISU adds a team. Fun fact..... at an ISU tailgate tour stop maybe something like 8 years ago, I asked CJL if we would ever add a beach volleyball team and she shocked me by saying it was already in the works. I'm like way cool, only to sit here for years and never see it come to fruition.
Lacrosse seems more reasonable. Women's Lacrosse and baseball? :eek:

• Haha
Reactions: NWICY

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
out of curiosity I looked up USC's schedule (assuming they are elite and they are) and nearly half the season is in Feb/March

They'd move baseball, softball and this to actual summer months if they really wanted it to grow nation wide.

Even the championship game is May 7...not even warm by then some years.

sunset

Oct 18, 2006
San Diego, CA
Beach volleyball in Iowa sounds great. They'll need Band-Aids

They play in Utah so I’m sure they could figure it out in Ames if they really wanted to. There are some really nice indoor facilities across the country. Rumor is that the incoming Big10 teams are joining some smaller conference for beach so they must not be adding the sport.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Do you have to play beach volleyball outdoors?

Couldn't you put a sand court somewhere indoors?

Or is that just a mess?

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
  • Informative
Reactions: Sigmapolis

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
out of curiosity I looked up USC's schedule (assuming they are elite and they are) and nearly half the season is in Feb/March

They'd move baseball, softball and this to actual summer months if they really wanted it to grow nation wide.

Inclement weather. Collegiate beach volleyball is an outdoor sport. Events shall be played outdoors unless weather or court conditions threaten the health and safety of student-athletes

I think if you had a team at Iowa State, you'd definitely have an indoor facility when needed. If you get warm enough in Feb-May, great, play outside, but if not, its inclement weather.

You'd probably need some type of warmer uniform. Its not traditional, but novices play sand volleyball in the cold with hats, gloves, sweatshirts, pants. There isn't any reason collegiete volleyball couldn't do the same.

sunset

Oct 18, 2006
San Diego, CA
In fact, in a recent study carried out by the NCAA, college sports’ largest governing body, lacrosse, both men’s and women’s were officially labeled the fastest growing sport in America over the past 15 years and has been the focus of substantial investment at all levels, from the leading national governing bodies all the way down to local youth and community clubs.

Historically it is played on a natural beach next to an ocean but there have been real advancements building courts away from that setting. Newer facilities at Cal Poly and Arizona State rival the sand at any Southern California beach. Wouldn’t be too difficult add four walls and a roof for cold climates.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014

Beach volleyball in Iowa sounds great. They'll need Band-Aids.

A lot of Universities are building indoor Beach Volleyball facilities. I actually think most are. Even those in warm climates.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
You'd probably need some type of warmer uniform. Its not traditional, but novices play sand volleyball in the cold with hats, gloves, sweatshirts, pants. There isn't any reason collegiete volleyball couldn't do the same.
Looks like there are some cold-weather clothing options. Per regulations:

4.3 A player’s equipment consists of shorts with at least a one-inch inseam. A jersey or “tank-top” is required (Reference 4.3.d. and 4.3.3.). Players may wear a hat or sunglasses at their own discretion (or risk).

(snip)

e. Other than the approved uniform above, players may wear cold weather gear. Cold weather gear must fit within the institution’s color scheme on site. - Cold weather gear is worn under the uniform and must be form fitting. These items must be of solid color. Common example: long-sleeved black compression shirt or blue compression pant.

sunset

Oct 18, 2006
San Diego, CA
Nebraska has a team

They have a Beach program but they have historically used it to get extra reps for their indoor players. Last I heard, they just recently recruited their first full time Beach player so maybe they will take it more seriously. The sport is growing like crazy at the college level and they have indoor tradition so who knows?