Big 12 adds Beach volleyball

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014

• Informative
Reactions: HawaiiClone

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
A lot of Universities are building indoor Beach Volleyball facilities. I actually think most are. Even those in warm climates.
Nebraska plays home matches in the Hawks Championship Center. However, if you look at the matches they played there last year, the competition was NAIA or D2.

When they played D1 competition, it was all on the road.

Beach volleyball falls in the same boat as softball; they would spend most of the season playing on the road. The season runs from the end of February to the beginning of May.

Reactions: sunset

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
So is this considered a separate collegiate sport from regular VB. And if so, can athletes participate in both?

cedarstrip

Aug 26, 2013
They have a Beach program but they have historically used it to get extra reps for their indoor players. Last I heard, they just recently recruited their first full time Beach player so maybe they will take it more seriously. The sport is growing like crazy at the college level and they have indoor tradition so who knows?
Recruiting would be interesting. Do high schools have teams?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
So is this considered a separate collegiate sport from regular VB. And if so, can athletes participate in both?

Not only can they, its common.

Every member of Nebraska's current sand roster is on the regular volleyball team

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
My wife is going to judge based on my level of interest in beach volleyball.

RollClones14

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2018
We had a volleyball player transfer to LSU a few years back to play beach volleyball and I think have a pretty solid career.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
They have a Beach program but they have historically used it to get extra reps for their indoor players.

I imagine a lot of big 12 programs (including ISU) might want to add it for similar reasons.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
When I talked to CJL quite a few years back, she said we were adding it mostly for recruiting purposes

Certainly can't hurt from a bunch of standpoints. More practice time, recruits wanting to play it, some nice trips to warm weather locations to escape midwest winter for a bit (looks like nebraska, for instance, sends their team out to Hawaii for spring break almost every year)

CY9008

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2010
West Des Moines, IA
We had a volleyball player transfer to LSU a few years back to play beach volleyball and I think have a pretty solid career.
Not only a volleyball player, thee Jess Schaben took her grad transfer semester to play at LSU but that was 2020. So actually didn’t get to play a beach season until 2023

Reactions: RollClones14

CY9008

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2010
West Des Moines, IA
It’s definitely impacted our recruiting in the past decade not having that beach option in the spring. Nebraska only has that 1 indoor court which I don’t think you’re even allowed to host an official NCAA match with because generally there’s 5 matches going on at a time.

I remember following Jess at LSU and their outdoor beach facility was pretty impressive.

I’m not sure how feasible it is to add in Ames. Cook started out coaching indoor and beach but hired a full time beach head coach in 2018. I would assume CJL would want to take that on at first but I don’t know. Hiring maybe an assistant that has more of a beach expertise would be ideal.

Facilities wise, I’m not sure if you squeeze a practice court in the Lied addition or add onto the renovated tennis/vb facility in west Ames.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Not only can they, its common.

Every member of Nebraska's current sand roster is on the regular volleyball team
In case anyone was wondering, if you participate in regular volleyball and have a scholarship, you count against the regular volleyball limit -- you can't get extra scholarships by designating some of your regular volleyball players under beach volleyball scholarships. If they are under scholarship and they play regular volleyball, they count under regular volleyball.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY and sunset

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
In case anyone was wondering, if you participate in regular volleyball and have a scholarship, you count against the regular volleyball limit -- you can't get extra scholarships by designating some of your regular volleyball players under beach volleyball scholarships. If they are under scholarship and they play regular volleyball, they count under regular volleyball.
Thanks for the info!! Just curious, do players ever play just sand VB. If so how does that Scholly count?

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Thanks for the info!! Just curious, do players ever play just sand VB. If so how does that Scholly count?
Those scholarships only count for beach volleyball. It's a partial-scholarship sport, so there are 6 scholarships spread among up to 14 players if your school also has regular volleyball, or there are 8 scholarships spread among up to 14 players if your school does not have regular volleyball.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Nebraska plays home matches in the Hawks Championship Center. However, if you look at the matches they played there last year, the competition was NAIA or D2.

When they played D1 competition, it was all on the road.

Beach volleyball falls in the same boat as softball; they would spend most of the season playing on the road. The season runs from the end of February to the beginning of May.
I think they need to change these outdoor sports schedules to be more summer sports. Baseball, Softball, Beach volleyball. It is not really fair to have those seasons start in Feb for a lot of schools.

I get that 50 years ago, the seasons were set up for being in school in the spring semester. But most of these sports carry over into the summer as it is or at least several weeks after the spring semester ends. And now days it is not that big of a deal, because a lot of athletes are on campus all through summer and fall sports start weeks before school starts as well.

Start these sports April 1st instead of Feb, Finishing up in end of July beginning of Aug timeline, it would be much better. These are summer sports.

• Optimistic
Reactions: VeloClone