SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Not only can they, its common.

Every member of Nebraska's current sand roster is on the regular volleyball team

Similar to Track and Cross Country teams. I think most Cross Country team members are also on the Track & Field squad.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

HawaiiClone

Dec 4, 2020
Has ISU been getting away with not having enough women's sports to comply with Title IX and thus won't be adding any men's sports if they add these 2 sports (assuming $ are there).

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Has ISU been getting away with not having enough women's sports to comply with Title IX and thus won't be adding any men's sports if they add these 2 sports (assuming $ are there).

Iirc we were actually ahead enough we could add a mens sport if we wanted to.

Its a financial decision not to for the most part.

• Informative
Reactions: HawaiiClone

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
IIRC we could add a men’s sport without a women’s pending the numbers. Easier to just add one of each to avoid any hurdles down the road.

• Informative
Reactions: HawaiiClone

sunset

Oct 18, 2006
San Diego, CA
Can they substitute snow for sand?
Snow volleyball is a thing. You can find games on YouTube. A group of American AVP players went abroad to play (South America and Russia I believe). Kind of fun to watch.

Last edited:

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
And they actually triple dip since there is an indoor track season as well as an outdoor track season in addition to the XC season.
Indoor and Outdoor track aren't considered 2 different sports, though. I don't believe. Track and Field is a single sport (if you are counting up the number of sports a school offers) but the 2 have 2 separate NCAA championships.

• Agree

sunset

Oct 18, 2006
San Diego, CA
Recruiting would be interesting. Do high schools have teams?
Yes, at least in California they do. There are Beach clubs all over the country. Former pro players have started clubs in Tennessee and the Carolinas. There is a club from Des Moines that comes out to California for the end of year National tournaments. Unfortunately they bring a lot of tiger hawk gear with them.

Last edited:

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
IIRC we could add a men’s sport without a women’s pending the numbers. Easier to just add one of each to avoid any hurdles down the road.
Pretty sure you are correct. I don't believe Iowa State could add women's Sand Volleyball without also increasing the number of men's athletic scholarships.

HawaiiClone

Dec 4, 2020
out of curiosity I looked up USC's schedule (assuming they are elite and they are) and nearly half the season is in Feb/March

They'd move baseball, softball and this to actual summer months if they really wanted it to grow nation wide.

Even the championship game is May 7...not even warm by then some years.
There has been talk about starting baseball season later, but web searches I have done haven't revealed an extensive nationwide debate about it as of now.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Pretty sure you are correct. I don't believe Iowa State could add women's Sand Volleyball without also increasing the number of men's athletic scholarships.
I didn't think there was any requirement for any men's scholarships just Title IX requiring equal opportunity for women so women must have essentially equal or better numbers of sports scholarships offered.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Here's the rough Title IX math for ISU:

M Basketball: 13 max scholarships
M CC/T&F: 12.6
M Football: 85
M Golf: 4.5
M Wrestling: 9.9
M Total: 125

W Basketball: 15
W CC/T&F: 20
W Golf: 6
W Gymnastics: 12
W Soccer: 14
W Softball: 12
W Swim/Dive: 14
W Tennis: 8
W Volleyball: 12
W Total: 113

Women's percentage of total athletic scholarships available at ISU = 47.5%
Women's percentage of total students at ISU, Fall 2023 = 45.5%
(44.6% for undergrad only -- not sure which is used for Title IX)

It's probably the number of scholarships actually used, not the number available, but that likely doesn't change the math much.

• Winner

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
There has been talk about starting baseball season later, but web searches I have done haven't revealed an extensive nationwide debate about it as of now.
Southern schools where most of the power in those sports reside have no incentive and actually a disinsentive to make a change. They want any potential rival from the north to have to come to them to play in the preseason OOC games.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
I didn't think there was any requirement for any men's scholarships just Title IX requiring equal opportunity for women so women must have essentially equal or better numbers of sports scholarships offered.

I don't think thats true. Found this blurb online.

"Title IX requires that schools treat both sexes equally with regard to three distinct aspects of athletics: participation opportunities, athletic scholarships, and the benefits and services provided to male and female teams."

If a school treated male athletes unfairly in comparison women's athletes, that would be a Title IX violation. I think the reason you never hear about those issues is they never happen, which actually explains why Title IX was needed in the first place. You never hear of men's athletes being treated unfairly compared to women, but you certainly do the other way around.

Even with Title IX, you hear of problems for female athletes.

HawaiiClone

Dec 4, 2020
Southern schools where most of the power in those sports reside have no incentive and actually a disinsentive to make a change. They want any potential rival from the north to have to come to them to play in the preseason OOC games.
They may have sway, but the earlier season keeps baseball from getting more fans in the north. However, west coast teams that have been great haven't garnered the attention that southern teams do. So maybe the northern schools would be better off having their own league that started later to see if playing in warmer weather and having more success would garner enough extra fans.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I don't think thats true. Found this blurb online.

"Title IX requires that schools treat both sexes equally with regard to three distinct aspects of athletics: participation opportunities, athletic scholarships, and the benefits and services provided to male and female teams."

If a school treated male athletes unfairly in comparison women's athletes, that would be a Title IX violation. I think the reason you never hear about those issues is they never happen, which actually explains why Title IX was needed in the first place. You never hear of men's athletes being treated unfairly compared to women, but you certainly do the other way around.

Even with Title IX, you hear of problems for female athletes.
I think you are right. I stand corrected.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Here's the rough Title IX math for ISU:

M Basketball: 13 max scholarships
M CC/T&F: 12.6
M Football: 85
M Golf: 4.5
M Wrestling: 9.9
M Total: 125

W Basketball: 15
W CC/T&F: 20
W Golf: 6
W Gymnastics: 12
W Soccer: 14
W Softball: 12
W Swim/Dive: 14
W Tennis: 8
W Volleyball: 12
W Total: 113

Women's percentage of total athletic scholarships available at ISU = 47.5%
Women's percentage of total students at ISU, Fall 2023 = 45.5%
(44.6% for undergrad only -- not sure which is used for Title IX)

It's probably the number of scholarships actually used, not the number available, but that likely doesn't change the math much.
dont those numbers then have to be put into the ratio of students. So if the school has more or less women/men the ratio/math has to be adjusted depending on the ratio of women to men.

IIRC it is not just the raw numbers of avail scholarships, it all depends on the student population.

edit: nvm I see where you state the ratio of student pop. I misread that part.