Big 12 adds Beach volleyball

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
I think you are right. I stand corrected.
I had to look it up. It feels like Title IX just protects women, and sometimes people argue that its no longer needed because that kind of stuff no longer exists. You also hear arguments that Title IX is taking away opportunities for men, which is just a silly thought since it protects men just as much as women.

Reactions: VeloClone

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
I had to look it up. It feels like Title IX just protects women, and sometimes people argue that its no longer needed because that kind of stuff no longer exists. You also hear arguments that Title IX is taking away opportunities for men, which is just a silly thought since it protects men just as much as women.
I think people look at the number of sports at a university when they say that, not really looking at number of scholarships.

Football really hurts the number of sports most schools have. So the number/variety of sports a man can play at ISU is less than women. But the scholarships are in ratio.

So in the day and age of cutting costs, they end up cutting more mens sports instead of adding more womens, to help the ratio.

It is also why so many schools are adding Womens rowing, because until they just recently put a max on scholarships for it, they could have as many as possible even though many dont actually compete.

Iowa was one of those that were investigated I believe as well as a few others I cant remember of the top of my head, some counting over 160 scholarships for rowing. They are putting restrictions on it now or soon.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Arizona announced today they’re going to have to cut programs due to a math error that projected hundreds of millions more in revenue than actual.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Here's an actual lawsuit based on underrepresentation of male athletes: https://www.sportico.com/law/analysis/2023/esports-title-ix-fit-lawsuit-1234710612/

To persuade [Judge] Mendoza, the rowers offered statistical evidence showing a wide disparity between male enrollment at FIT and male athletes at the school. During the 2018-19 academic year, there were 3,261 undergrad FIT students, consisting of 2,325 men (71.3%) and 936 women (28.7%). But only 64.2% of Panthers athletes were men. Mendoza wrote the disparity “represented a shortfall of 132 athletic opportunities for men.”

• Informative
Reactions: HawaiiClone

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
It is also why so many schools are adding Womens rowing, because until they just recently put a max on scholarships for it, they could have as many as possible even though many dont actually compete.
I think there's always been a max on scholarships, but not a max on counters. So you could split those 20 scholarships among 100 people and make the participation numbers look good, because participation is one aspect of Title IX, not just scholarship numbers. So these schools make their participation numbers look good and hope nobody sues them based on scholarship dollars.

Reactions: 2speedy1

HawaiiClone

Dec 4, 2020
Reactions: sunset