Info: Big Changes To Accessing Betting Boards, Gaming, In-State Rivals, and Politics Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Going forward, we will be making the Betting Boards, Gaming & Hobbies, In-State Rivals, and Politics Forums as opt-in only.

In order to accommodate the frequently requested functionality for users to decide what forums they see and what posts/threads they see on various portions of the site, we have greatly enhanced what happens when you opt-in to the specific forums often times requested.

I have added code that will drive what threads you see throughout the site based on if you have elected to opt-in to one or more of the above mentioned groups - previously this was a half-baked, very buggy functionality. If you do not opt-in to view the above mentioned forums, you will not see any reference to them on the Forum home page, the Recent Threads section, the Activity Stream, within User Profiles, or in the New Posts section. Essentially, you will not know they exist.

To opt-in to any of the above mentioned forums, click on the link below - note that it can also be found under the Quick Links menu in the navbar, as well as a tab within your User Control Panel. You can change your opt-in/out status at any time with no side-effects.

You can opt-in now and we'll enforce the new methodology later in the week.

http://www.cyclonefanatic.com/forum/profile.php?do=editusergroups

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Re: Big Changes To Accessing Betting Boards, Gaming, In-State Rivals, and Politics Fo

Coolio!

yCy

Apr 12, 2006
Re: Big Changes To Accessing Betting Boards, Gaming, In-State Rivals, and Politics Fo

Thanks, Jeremy!

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames

The politics threads are still clogging up on the Forums page, even though politics is not selected for opting in. Before I selected the two groups I wanted to opt in, the politics threads did NOT show up on the Forums page. Something isn't working correctly.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006

I'm working on all the changes right now - thanks.

Topshelf

Jan 31, 2007
Ames, IA

Thanks for your hard work.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia

where did all my CyBookie $'s go?

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty

where did all my CyBookie $'s go?

CycloneErik took them all and traded them in for coupons when no one was looking. I think he got a buy one get one free clonecones with them.

CLONECONES

Mar 15, 2012
RVA

CycloneErik took them all and traded them in for coupons when no one was looking. I think he got a buy one get one free clonecones with them.

23850498.jpg

longtimeclone

Dec 8, 2009
Up north

This will probably be one of my favorite changes with the new site because it will eliminate the threads about each of these threads appearing on the front page.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA

I'll just say this once for the group. Why does it have to be opt-in, why can't it be opt out. Gaming and Hobbies isn't a forum that causes a lot of heated debate that people aren't looking for such as politics and in-state rivals.

If people don't like to see a mafia thread on the front page, why can't they opt out instead of having new users or those users who have never explored a game not to be able to see it at all. It's not like they are going to go stumbling around the site for these hidden forums they don't know about.

There have been many people who lurk the site forever who become active members through something being discussed/played on the gaming forum. Now they would never see these. It's your site traffic though.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006

I'll just say this once for the group. Why does it have to be opt-in, why can't it be opt out. Gaming and Hobbies isn't a forum that causes a lot of heated debate that people aren't looking for such as politics and in-state rivals.

If people don't like to see a mafia thread on the front page, why can't they opt out instead of having new users or those users who have never explored a game not to be able to see it at all. It's not like they are going to go stumbling around the site for these hidden forums they don't know about.

There have been many people who lurk the site forever who become active members through something being discussed/played on the gaming forum. Now they would never see these. It's your site traffic though.

I would probably agree with this. By making them invisible to everyone that doesn't already know they are here, you could really drive down the traffic to those forums. Love the user control for all of these, that has been a long time coming, but I would set it up as an opt-out model.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames

The politics threads are still clogging up on the Forums page, even though politics is not selected for opting in. Before I selected the two groups I wanted to opt in, the politics threads did NOT show up on the Forums page. Something isn't working correctly.

Seems to be fine now, so whatever was done in the interim worked. Thanks!

azepp

Dec 9, 2009
Ankeny

I like the way I used to be able to view the politics/in-state rivals forum without having it appear on my front page - I could go there when I felt like it without having it on my recent threads. It was nice because I don't care enough to have it on the front page but it was good for a little entertainment once in a while. Now it looks like it's all or nothing. Not a big deal, and I suppose I can just change my settings to view them, but I did like that option.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006

Quick update...

All the changes should be in place, I'm still testing scenarios but if you haven't yet opt-in to one of the above mentioned forums, you no longer have access to them until/unless you opt-in.

While I understand the complaints about preferring it be opt-out rather than opt-in, I have heard equal number of arguments for each side and from a coding perspective, an opt-in scenario is much easier (though still a very large undertaking). As it is, it is going to be opt-in for the foreseeable future.

Regarding it being an all-or-nothing situation where you can't elect to remove them from portions of the site while still maintaining backdoor access, that is not going to be considered at this time. I spent about 20 hours just on the implementation as it is to appease 95% of the user base and can't afford to spend another 60-80 hours just to make it customization by site section.

NebrClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006

Are you going to add more, like pro sports, off topic, etc?

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor

Quick update...

All the changes should be in place, I'm still testing scenarios but if you haven't yet opt-in to one of the above mentioned forums, you no longer have access to them until/unless you opt-in.

While I understand the complaints about preferring it be opt-out rather than opt-in, I have heard equal number of arguments for each side and from a coding perspective, an opt-in scenario is much easier (though still a very large undertaking). As it is, it is going to be opt-in for the foreseeable future.

Regarding it being an all-or-nothing situation where you can't elect to remove them from portions of the site while still maintaining backdoor access, that is not going to be considered at this time. I spent about 20 hours just on the implementation as it is to appease 95% of the user base and can't afford to spend another 60-80 hours just to make it customization by site section.

Thank you so much for this - it's something I'd been hoping we'd see for some time now. I can't rep you (need find somebody else worth repping), but you deserve it. Keep up the good work!

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009

I hate to beat a dead horse, but will the app ever be back?

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006

Are you going to add more, like pro sports, off topic, etc?

Not for the time being. The 4 sections addressed right now have been the most contentious over the years. I made the code easily adaptable though so if the mods agree that something else needs to be opt-in based, it can be quickly added.

Thank you so much for this - it's something I'd been hoping we'd see for some time now. I can't rep you (need find somebody else worth repping), but you deserve it. Keep up the good work!

Thank you for the positive feedback.

I hate to beat a dead horse, but will the app ever be back?

Please refer back to the app thread. Also, the new mobile view is much more advanced than the app was but follow the app related threads for updates or to voice feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.