Big East writer refutes ISU rumor

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
This is why I think a MWC consolidation looks better and better.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
A PO'd Providence writer who is mad because they don't offer football. Does he honestly think the Big East survives this if they don't expand.

It was strictly his opinion without any real knowledge.

None the less good find. But him talking to the Giggler only feeds into the Gigglers scheme. Finding people who will agree with him that ISU has nothing to offer, I bet this guy doesn't get interrupted the whole time. If it was the guy from the Washington Examiner the Giggler wouldn't let him finish a sentence because he would be going against the Gigglers views.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
The telling line is this:

According to McNamara, who recently wrote the book entitled “Basketball Warfare: Life in the Big East Conference,” the league’s prestigious basketball schools would more than likely jet.
“They aren’t going to have a 20 team basketball league,” McNamara said. “What kind of a conference tournament do you have with 20 teams? It is impossible. Villanova, Georgetown, Providence and St. Johns don’t want to be in the same league as Iowa State and Kansas State. I can guarantee you that. It is a football decision.”

It's the basketball members that aren't happy with this, and might want to break away to form their own conference (or join the A-10). Most of the Big East fans would be more than happy for the basketball-only schools to leave anyway. That also, IMO, leaves the Big East in a prime position to begin picking at the ACC.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
He seems to be going off of "tradition" which we have all found out means pretty much nothing right about now.

Lastplace

Oct 23, 2006
Hilarious he states that "it would be a football decision" well no **** sherlock, the big east would get a conference championship in football finally which = $$. Idiot

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
I can understand McNamara's point, but FB pays the bills, and the Big East is not going to make it much longer as a BCS AQ with only 8 teams. Especially if the Pac-16 comes along and starts pressuring for 2 AQ bids, which we know they will eventually do.

The Big East needs some more credible FB teams, and if a few BB only programs bail in the process, I think they'll be forced to accept it...

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Tagliabue is a football man - to me that speaks loud and clear the direction of the Big East. Why do you hire him if you aren't trying to save your conference - it has to start with football for the Big East.

Reactions: swarthmoreCY

RandomFan

Aug 11, 2009
Tagliabue is a football man - to me that speaks loud and clear the direction of the Big East. Why do you hire him if you aren't trying to save your conference - it has to start with football for the Big East.

:notworthy: