Big East writer refutes ISU rumor

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny
Yeah Chris this thread title doesn't make sense considering it's just a guys opinion.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Tagliabue is a football man - to me that speaks loud and clear the direction of the Big East. Why do you hire him if you aren't trying to save your conference - it has to start with football for the Big East.

Exactly. The Big East would say "buh bye" to the Providences, Seton Halls, and DePaul's of the world to bolster themselves in football. Plus, the schools they're bringing in would be upgrades on the basketball court, too.

This "refute" doesn't worry me in the least.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
Exactly. The Big East would say "buh bye" to the Providences, Seton Halls, and DePaul's of the world to bolster themselves in football. Plus, the schools they're bringing in would be upgrades on the basketball court, too.

I think there might be something to your point...Good take.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
FWIW, i was hearing from someone with WVU ties this morning on another board that the merger might just be the football teams... and oddly enough would keep the big 12 name for some legal reasons, leaving the bball-only schools with the Big east name.

So much internet rumor you never know what will pan out (and i'm not claiming to have some super inside source), but if Chris's guy believes the bball schools would split, maybe that is indeed the case. The football schools know that football money runs college athletics at this point.

azn4cy

Dec 27, 2008
DSM

I agree. The real question is though, if it comes down to Georgetown and Villanova trying to keep the Big 12 teams out... instead of Providence and Depaul, then who takes priority? ISU or them?

azn4cy

Dec 27, 2008
DSM
With public statements like that, how the hell does Matt have a radio job?

I'm totally fine with the guy's takes, but he takes things way too personally to be a legit media member. Just because he thinks some CF members have been jerks to him, now he is making it a personal vendetta to pretty much give a big eff u to cyclone fans with any bit of possible bad news.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
I agree. The real question is though, if it comes down to Georgetown and Villanova trying to keep the Big 12 teams out... instead of Providence and Depaul, then who takes priority? ISU or them?

Very, very good question.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
FWIW, i was hearing from someone with WVU ties this morning on another board that the merger might just be the football teams... and oddly enough would keep the big 12 name for some legal reasons, leaving the bball-only schools with the Big east name.

A merger being "just football" -- do you mean it leaves B12 scraps to go somewhere else for other sports?

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I think there might be something to your point...Good take.
Yeah, this is minor cleanup compared to what just happeneed this week. More conferences will be juggling for next two months in a mad scramble. The ACC and SEC will heat up next week.

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
I'm totally fine with the guy's takes, but he takes things way too personally to be a legit media member. Just because he thinks some CF members have been jerks to him, now he is making it a personal vendetta to pretty much give a big eff u to cyclone fans with any bit of possible bad news.

I am just astounded by the "I told you :)" in his tweet. Aren't media supposed to act like professionals?

nickcyv

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 29, 2009
What I don't think your writer or mat the rat understand is that this realignment is driven by football. St Johns, Depaul, and Marquette are not going to make the Big East stronger. This would be a football decision.