Bill Self out due to illness or health issue

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
If he had cardiac catheterization he's probably out two weeks.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
When it comes to an employer disclosing medical information, I don't believe it's a HIPAA violation. It still can be against the law if they don't have your permission, but I don't believe that HIPAA is the law that is violated in that circumstance. HIPAA specifically applies to covered entities, and your employer wouldn't be one of those, unless you worked for a hospital or insurance company or something like that

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
When it comes to an employer disclosing medical information, I don't believe it's a HIPAA violation. It still can be against the law if they don't have your permission, but I don't believe that HIPAA is the law that is violated in that circumstance. HIPAA specifically applies to covered entities, and your employer wouldn't be one of those, unless you worked for a hospital or insurance company or something like that

The University of Kansas does have a medical center and school. Although its located in KC metro.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007

so he was showing signs of a heart attack and before he actually had one they caught it

Maybe pain and tightness in the chest.........shortness of breath........along with feeling ill.

I can see a battery of "standard procedures" being done. And I'm sure his blood was tested and if that came back a little different they will keep him under watch for a few days to see if the blood levels return to normal.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
After what happened to Mike Leach, TJ's little cough makes me nervous too.
I watched the postgame interviews and he couldn’t stop coughing for more than maybe 20 seconds.

I had to watch some little relatives this afternoon for a couple of hours, one with RSV again, one with norovirus, and a baby with an ear infection. Probably a lethal combo at my age.

Just hope TJ’s is just too much yelling and not something his kids gave him that’s going to run through the team too.

• Friendly
  • Wow
Reactions: nrg4isu and JP4CY

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
I watched the postgame interviews and he couldn’t stop coughing for more than maybe 20 seconds.

I had to watch some little relatives this afternoon for a couple of hours, one with RSV again, one with norovirus, and a baby with an ear infection. Probably a lethal combo at my age.

Just hope TJ’s is just too much yelling and not something his kids gave him that’s going to run through the team too.

Fingers crossed for you that you don't get noro. That's one persistent bug.

• Friendly
Reactions: carvers4math

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I THINK in the case of a self-funded / fully insured policy it may be different, but am not sure. But certainly in any other scenario you are correct.

Edit:

Employers with fully-insured medical coverage are only excepted from HIPAA’s privacy rule requirements (e.g., maintaining privacy policies and procedures, breach notification requirements, and distributing notices of privacy practices) if the employer maintains a “hands off” approach with respect to the administration of its fully-insured plan. A hands off approach requires that the employer have no access to the plan’s PHI, though employers may receive summary health information and enrollment/disenrollment information for certain purposes. If an employer does not maintain a hands off approach, for example, by assisting employees with claims without obtaining a HIPAA release, the employer will be subject to HIPAA’s privacy rules. Self-funded plans like health flexible spending accounts (health FSAs) and health reimbursement arrangements (HRAs) cannot maintain a hands-off approach and will be subject to HIPAA’s privacy requirements.

Last edited:

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Fingers crossed for you that you don't get noro. That's one persistent bug.
Same. That was the six year old so pretty easy just to stick her on her tablet in a separate room. I wore gloves in their house the whole time.

RSV freaks me out because we almost lost our oldest to that as a baby, but seems a lot less debilitating for a four year old.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Same. That was the six year old so pretty easy just to stick her on her tablet in a separate room. I wore gloves in their house the whole time.

RSV freaks me out because we almost lost our oldest to that as a baby, but seems a lot less debilitating for a four year old.

For sure. We had a Christmas where norovirus hit every single one of us in rolling wave fashion. Luckily, I recovered before I had to get on a plane. Bonus was I wasn't hungry at all, so didn't have to worry about inflated airport pricing on food...

• Friendly
Reactions: carvers4math

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Maybe pain and tightness in the chest.........shortness of breath........along with feeling ill.

I can see a battery of "standard procedures" being done. And I'm sure his blood was tested and if that came back a little different they will keep him under watch for a few days to see if the blood levels return to normal.
Troponin blood test would be a heart attack.

• Agree
Reactions: CYEATHAWK

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Actually HIPAA applies to anyone that has access to protected health information which is everything from providers, to insurance companies, to billing depts, as well as employers under certain circumstances. Something doesn’t have to be an “illness” to be protected under HIPAA, it is applicable to any protected health information
And nobody knows the rules. Rep at my insurance this week denied me the diagnosis and treatment codes for an eob because it would violate hipaa.

Reactions: FriendlySpartan

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I know we are supposed to hate KU but I love Bill Self. He’s an underrated (the most?) coach of this generation.

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
Any updates on Bill Self? Just because he may have had a troponin test does not mean anything without knowing the results.