Billy Fennelly new WBB assistant coach

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Re: father/son coaching. For you having some reservations, did we manage to attract Wally Burnham by offering him a chance to coach with Shane despite Shane not having experience in Division I level coaching ? Turn out Shane is doing fine.

C'mon - you're comparing Shane Burnham to Billy Fennelly?
FYI - Burnham had coached at Richmond, The Citadel, and finally Elon prior to coming to ISU. He was a decorated linebacker at South Carolina prior to that!
Billy has not been a player, nor has he coached...

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
So Billy's last five years in the business have meant nothing?

Chris, I don't think the major issue is with Billy per se, as he is probably ready for a entry level assistant coach position.

That being said, the main issue I have, and is the elephant in the room is understanding this from the perspective of the recruit/customer.

This is Wbb, with a W. Young girls today are not looking for father figures, but female role models. While Jodi is an amazing coach, and Latoya is a good bigs coach from what I have heard, they are not near in age to our players.

This for me is what I see as the disconnect that we do not have a young role model leader on staff. This is a sport where male coaches are finding it harder and harder to operate. Look at Geno's staff. All women. One, a formal player and national championship team member.....

This is a female sport. Not that men cannot be coaches, but I know for a fact that they is a healthy percentage of girls that will not play for a man, period. There are others that this is a gray area.

So, this is what I am sensitive to. Not is Billy qualified, nor is Billy going to work his butt off, but what does this say to recruits.

I will be much more secure in my confidence if we did add an Ezell, or Lacey to staff in Billy's old position, which it hasn't been lost on many of us, was created just for Billy at ISU. Has it been eliminated now?

Again, time will tell.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
One thing Bill Fennelly has earned (and he has earned a lot) in his tenure at ISU is the ability to hire whoever the **** he wants and be free from criticism, whether it's his son, daughter-in-law, or Elmer Fudd. Some of you people are just pathetic. And don't bother telling me what you think because I really don't care.

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
have to disagree somewhat. ISU wbb leveled off the last decade when we had hires that stayed and stayed

Really, leveled off?
-6 trips to the NCAA over the last 6 years (wonder how many other WBB programs have done that?)
-Runner up in the conference tournament in 2007
-Finished the regular season in the top five, 5 of 6 season with two third place finishes and a second place finish.
-7-6 NCAA record during the last 6 years including Elite 8 and Sweet 16 showings
-Was ranked in the top 20 for 38 weeks
-Finished in the top 4 in attendance 5 of 6 seasons

Did I forget anything? If this is the program leveling off I like it.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
A lot of Hawkeye football fans in this thread.

Sure we have had more success in WBB than we have EVER had and it's 100% b/c of Bill Fennelly, but our fanbase still thinks they know more about what it takes to win than a guy who has taken us to 13 out of 16 NCAA tournament appearances in what is the toughest conference in basketball during that time.

Bill Fennelly is so well thought of in the coaching community that he was asked to be the 2011 USA Basketball Women’s World University Games Team HEAD COACH.....but yet we have some fans on here that think the guy doesn't know who to hire on his own staff.

You really can't make this stuff up.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
C'mon - you're comparing Shane Burnham to Billy Fennelly?
FYI - Burnham had coached at Richmond, The Citadel, and finally Elon prior to coming to ISU. He was a decorated linebacker at South Carolina prior to that!
Billy has not been a player, nor has he coached...

It's actually a great comparison to any sane person. Both where raised by coaches and grew up around the game. Get over the fact that Billy didn't play, as he couldn't play, and frankly that doesn't mean a whole lot.

They were both around the game, saw the atmosphere and understand what it takes. They both took similiar routes to becoming assistant coaches and probably got jobs a tad quicker than the average Joe would have b/c of their "connections." Let's not be naive here, in the coaching profession it's 99% about who you know. I mean, coaches don't go from Elon to a Big 12 coaching job unless they have an "in".

You act like minor assistant jobs at D1AA schools like Elon are so much better than working at a high level WBB job at Maryland. Was Billy an assistant there? No. But do you have any idea how much time he was working with the staff? Do you know what his job entailed?

Reactions: cyclone13

907CY

Jan 30, 2010
Northern Polk County
It's actually a great comparison to any sane person. Both where raised by coaches and grew up around the game. Get over the fact that Billy didn't play, as he couldn't play, and frankly that doesn't mean a whole lot.

They were both around the game, saw the atmosphere and understand what it takes. They both took similiar routes to becoming assistant coaches and probably got jobs a tad quicker than the average Joe would have b/c of their "connections." Let's not be naive here, in the coaching profession it's 99% about who you know. I mean, coaches don't go from Elon to a Big 12 coaching job unless they have an "in".

You act like minor assistant jobs at D1AA schools like Elon are so much better than working at a high level WBB job at Maryland. Was Billy an assistant there? No. But do you have any idea how much time he was working with the staff? Do you know what his job entailed?

In all of life it is 99 per cent who you know. I can't believe that BF would put his "career" in jeopardy, for one minute, if he thought his new hire was not ready for the Big 12 recruiting wars. Son or no son, Bill is smarter than that.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
Anyone else notice that tornadoman hasn't posted in 3 months until there was another thread that he could come in with his solid negativity towards Iowa State? I don't mind the other opinion, and expect it on a message board, but after a while it's pretty obvious you only post when you want to fully ***** about something

Reactions: Three4Cy

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
In all of life it is 99 per cent who you know. I can't believe that BF would put his "career" in jeopardy, for one minute, if he thought his new hire was not ready for the Big 12 recruiting wars. Son or no son, Bill is smarter than that.

Not according to some posters on here. I would bet that some do not even attend the games or listen on the radio and those who do are the ones who leave with 5 minutes left so they can be first out oif the lot. I trust BF's judgement and since I do not believe any other poster on here is a Division 1 head coach I will take their comments with a grain of salt.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
Not according to some posters on here. I would bet that some do not even attend the games or listen on the radio and those who do are the ones who leave with 5 minutes left so they can be first out oif the lot. I trust BF's judgement and since I do not believe any other poster on here is a Division 1 head coach I will take their comments with a grain of salt.

They may not be a college coach but I heard a lot of them played some basketball in HS so therefore they are more qualified to talk about it than Billy.

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
They may not be a college coach but I heard a lot of them played some basketball in HS so therefore they are more qualified to talk about it than Billy.

Wow, I played HS BB, my wife played and at one time I had an Iowa HS coaching certificate so does that make me an expert? In that case a GRREAT hire by BF from an expert on the subject.

Reactions: Clones85'

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
Women's College Basketball: Homophobia is polluting the recruiting trail - ESPN

You can't shout the family mantra and then not support your family. Good hire. Billy may not be proven, but hard to argue with his experience. He spent two years with a Maryland team that was in and won? finals fours. I want that experience in my program. I agree it only puts more pressure on him and his father. But if they are willing to accept that preassure and persevere, then the team will be better in the end.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
Wow, I played HS BB, my wife played and at one time I had an Iowa HS coaching certificate so does that make me an expert? In that case a GRREAT hire by BF from an expert on the subject.

Being sarcastic. I'm in agreement with you :smile:

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX

No problem. And since I don't believe that you have any clue about the game-watching habits of other CF posters, I'll be treating your above comments the same way...

Polarbears

Apr 10, 2009
I think promoting Billy was probably Plan C going into this search, and its likely better than Plan D. It seems our biggest need was preparing our posts to be more consistent and more competitive. I think, reading between the lines, that was also a concern of BF after the way last season ended, and the sporadic nature of our post play all season long.
I'm sure BF knew this wouldn't be a universally popular promotion. But he obviously has faith he can make it work. Our other coaches will probably take on more as Billy gains the experience he needs to be effective at this level.
We are all hoping for the best! I'm sure BF feels the added pressure, but lets hope the players will take it one day at a time and feel confident that they will get it done with all of our support.

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
No problem. And since I don't believe that you have any clue about the game-watching habits of other CF posters, I'll be treating your above comments the same way...

I attend every home game, some away, and all games at the Big 12 tourney. So to say I know what they do you are correct, but when you read some posts they have no idea what the team is like and there are a number of people who do leave early and having sat by them and heard their comments I really wonder why they even come. All they do is complain about players and the coaches. How many games do you attend?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron