Billy Fennelly new WBB assistant coach

fulll02

Apr 17, 2006
Des Moines
Get over it.

Billy thinks all this uproar is pretty funny, by the way. But of course you all know more about the ins and outs of ISU women's basketball than Bill.

I realize that your comment is nothing more than hearsay, but if it's true, then I actually am worried. Fan perception of the ISU WBB program matters and right now there is plenty of disagreeement amongst the fans on if this is a good hire. I sure hope that Billy doesn't think this is "funny". Right now a lot of people need convincing that this hire is in the best interest of ISU WBB, and not just the Fennelly family.

Just to give my personal disclaimer - I am alright with the hire.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
Just an FYI but the way I understand it, Billy's former position was re-titled and given to Pete Link, the new WBB strength and conditioning coach - as was announced in that press release a few weeks ago. So from what I understand, there will not be another hire on the WBB staff this offseason. It is complete.

Reactions: isufan

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
I realize that your comment is nothing more than hearsay, but if it's true, then I actually am worried. Fan perception of the ISU WBB program matters and right now there is plenty of disagreeement amongst the fans on if this is a good hire. I sure hope that Billy doesn't think this is "funny". Right now a lot of people need convincing that this hire is in the best interest of ISU WBB, and not just the Fennelly family.

I don't think you have anything to worry about. This is far from an "uproar" in my opinion. It's like 5-10 vocal people on a message board who are voicing their opinion, which they have a right to do.

We've seen UPROARS on this site...That's thread after thread popping up about the same topic. Angry folks...You get the picture.

Just my opinion here but I think if you'd poll women's basketball season ticket holders, the majority would be happy with Bill's decision. Again - That's just my opinion. Everybody has one.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Why should I "get over it"? Also, how is the fact that he supposedly thinks the uproar is funny even relevant to the conversation? No one has claimed to know more about ISU WBB, but maybe some of us do know as much at least about University policy.

I'm not questioning his ability to do the job, although I am sure there were others that could do it as well. I just question how it is that Athletic Department can get away with not following University policy. I was not the only one on here to criticize Iowa with the whole Ferentz deal. To not question this would be hypocritical.

I've yet to see anyone explain what allows Athletic Department to ignore the policies.

Get over it because your opinion is irrelevant.

Sorry, but if you can't laugh at the comedy that this topic has become, you are way too uptight. It's quite obvious there are a lot of that type in this thread.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
Get over it because your opinion is irrelevant.

Sorry, but if you can't laugh at the comedy that this topic has become, you are way too uptight. It's quite obvious there are a lot of that type in this thread.

LOL My opinion is as relevant as yours or that of anyone else on this board. What a childish comment for you to make.

Sorry to disappoint you but I will continue to express my opinion, and I won't be checking with you first. Guess you will have to get over that.

Your opinion is that it is comedy. Others do not share that. I still have not seen anyone address how this fits with University policy. That matters to some of us, even if it doesn't matter to you.

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
LOL My opinion is as relevant as yours or that of anyone else on this board. What a childish comment for you to make.

Sorry to disappoint you but I will continue to express my opinion, and I won't be checking with you first. Guess you will have to get over that.

Your opinion is that it is comedy. Others do not share that. I still have not seen anyone address how this fits with University policy. That matters to some of us, even if it doesn't matter to you.

If you are so concerned why not go directly to the President and ask him why this was allowed? If you do not want to then don't get upset when people question you conerns. It was BF's choice and if it is not against school policy (and must not be) then it is water under the bridge. As a long time season ticket holder it was Bills decision and I can live with it.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines

It must fit university policy since:

A. Billy was already on staff and a DIRECT report to Bill, and

B. It's happening/happened in four other sports under JP's direction:

Women's Gymnastics
Jay Ronayne - HC
Mary Ronayne - Director of Women's Gymnastics

Wrestling
Cael Sanderson - HC
Cody Sanderson - Asst. Coach
2006-2009

Volleyball
CJL - HC
Joe Lynch - Asst. Coach (now Volunteer, but still a DIRECT report to CJL)
2005-2008, 2009-present as a Volunteer Coach
Marriage of love and volleyball - Iowa State Daily: Sports

Women's Soccer
Wendy Dillinger - HC
Chris Sellers - Asst. Coach / Admin Asst.
Cyclone soccer coaches share passion, love for game - Iowa State Daily: Sports

I don't think you have much of an argument.

Last edited:

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
It must fit university policy since:

A. Billy was already on staff and a DIRECT report to Bill, and

B. It's happening/happened in four other sports under JP's direction:

Women's Gymnastics
Jay Ronayne - HC
Mary Ronayne - Director of Women's Gymnastics

Wrestling
Cael Sanderson - HC
Cody Sanderson - Asst. Coach
2006-2009

Volleyball
CJL - HC
Joe Lynch - Asst. Coach (now Volunteer, but still a DIRECT report to CJL)
2005-2008, 2009-present as a Volunteer Coach
Marriage of love and volleyball - Iowa State Daily: Sports

Women's Soccer
Wendy Dillinger - HC
Chris Sellers - Asst. Coach / Admin Asst.
Cyclone soccer coaches share passion, love for game - Iowa State Daily: Sports

I don't think you have much of an argument.

Just because it has happened before means next to nothing. Still does not explain how the Athletic department gets around the policy. Sorry that some of you do not seem to understand that or even question it at all.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Just because it has happened before means next to nothing. Still does not explain how the Athletic department gets around the policy. Sorry that some of you do not seem to understand that or even question it at all.

It's obviously legal or they wouldn't allow would they?

Do you think JP would allow illegal hiring practices to KNOWINGLY take place? As someone else said, if you are so worried about what you perceive to be illegal hiring, you should contact the Iowa State HR department.

HUMAN RESOURCE SERVICES 515-294-9525 | 294-0104

NAME POSITION OFFICE EMAIL (@iastate.edu) Ruba, Kari Director of Human Resources 4-9525 kruba

Last edited:

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006

If the hiring decision takes place above Bill (and I think it does), then they're in the clear.

Iowa Regents' policy:

4.11 Employment and Supervision of Immediate Family Members
No employee of a Regent institution or the Board Office may participate in the decision to hire, retain, promote, grant tenure to or determine the salary of an immediate family member.
Each institution shall implement this policy with appropriate disclosure requirements and management plans for situations in which an immediate family member would be in a supervisory role or otherwise expected to participate in major employment decisions.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
It's obviously legal or they wouldn't allow would they?

Do you think JP would allow illegal hiring practices to KNOWINGLY take place? As someone else said, if you are so worried about what you perceive to be illegal hiring, you should contact the Iowa State HR department.

HUMAN RESOURCE SERVICES 515-294-9525 | 294-0104

NAME POSITION OFFICE EMAIL (@iastate.edu) Ruba, Kari Director of Human Resources 4-9525 kruba

If the hiring decision takes place above Bill (and I think it does), then they're in the clear.

Iowa Regents' policy:

4.11 Employment and Supervision of Immediate Family Members
No employee of a Regent institution or the Board Office may participate in the decision to hire, retain, promote, grant tenure to or determine the salary of an immediate family member.
Each institution shall implement this policy with appropriate disclosure requirements and management plans for situations in which an immediate family member would be in a supervisory role or otherwise expected to participate in major employment decisions.

Being against University policy does not mean it is illegal. No one necessarily gets arrested or goes to jail for violating University policy.

I think we deserve to know what the procedures were in this, and other hires. Some of you apparently don't care. At the U of I, all kinds of hell is being raised about the fact that the spouse of the President there is a paid employee of the University, and is partially paid by the foundation.

We need to know how the supervision is set up. How do they get around the requirement that one family member is not to be directly supervised by another? I know from personal experience this was not allowed in other departments. I just want to know how the Athletic Department gets by this. Guess I will have to talk to some old Personnel people I know at ISU, and some old Regents I know.

cydney

Mar 14, 2011
Chris, I don't think the major issue is with Billy per se, as he is probably ready for a entry level assistant coach position.

That being said, the main issue I have, and is the elephant in the room is understanding this from the perspective of the recruit/customer.

This is Wbb, with a W. Young girls today are not looking for father figures, but female role models. While Jodi is an amazing coach, and Latoya is a good bigs coach from what I have heard, they are not near in age to our players.

This for me is what I see as the disconnect that we do not have a young role model leader on staff. This is a sport where male coaches are finding it harder and harder to operate. Look at Geno's staff. All women. One, a formal player and national championship team member.....

This is a female sport. Not that men cannot be coaches, but I know for a fact that they is a healthy percentage of girls that will not play for a man, period. There are others that this is a gray area.

So, this is what I am sensitive to. Not is Billy qualified, nor is Billy going to work his butt off, but what does this say to recruits.

I will be much more secure in my confidence if we did add an Ezell, or Lacey to staff in Billy's old position, which it hasn't been lost on many of us, was created just for Billy at ISU. Has it been eliminated now?

Again, time will tell.

You are assuming some things that may not be true. Look at rbingley's post. A former WBB player does not necessarily hold more favor with recruits. It's about respect and relationships. ISU WBB has two excellent women on its coaching staff. Gender/age should have no bearing on this coaching hire. Those who are complaining about university policy (in which there are well defined procedures for family members), should be equally concerned about the potential for giving preferential treatment based on gender or age. While women role models are invaluable, it often happens in real life that a man fills the mentor role very well.

Ironically, as a few posters have repeatedly put forth arguments against the hire, I have grown to like the hire more.

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
Being against University policy does not mean it is illegal. No one necessarily gets arrested or goes to jail for violating University policy.

I think we deserve to know what the procedures were in this, and other hires. Some of you apparently don't care. At the U of I, all kinds of hell is being raised about the fact that the spouse of the President there is a paid employee of the University, and is partially paid by the foundation.

We need to know how the supervision is set up. How do they get around the requirement that one family member is not to be directly supervised by another? I know from personal experience this was not allowed in other departments. I just want to know how the Athletic Department gets by this. Guess I will have to talk to some old Personnel people I know at ISU, and some old Regents I know.

OK so we know you do not agree with this hire and do not feel it is legal so why not do what we (and even you) have suggested you do and get the answer . Then if you are correct and it is not per the rules you can crow about how you are right but if it is legal then just let it go because even if you don't agree, if it follows policy it is a legal hire.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
OK so we know you do not agree with this hire and do not feel it is legal so why not do what we (and even you) have suggested you do and get the answer . Then if you are correct and it is not per the rules you can crow about how you are right but if it is legal then just let it go because even if you don't agree, if it follows policy it is a legal hire.

Why are you so defensive about this? He's asking legitimate questions, as has pretty much everybody in this thread who has questioned the hire. I don't get the impression that he or anybody else want to "crow" about being right or wrong.

When a head coach hires his kid as an assistant, questions are going to be asked. In the Big 12, we've seen some attempts at a head coach grooming a family member to take over, and it hasn't exactly been a rousing success, despite some very successful head coaches giving it a try (i.e. Sutton and Knight). Is hiring Billy the first step down this path? If so, why does the staff think it can be successful at ISU, when it hasn't been elsewhere in our conference?

Cyclone90

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 29, 2007
I'd say 155 posts in a WBB thread = uproar. Relatively speaking of course.

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
I don't think you have anything to worry about. This is far from an "uproar" in my opinion. It's like 5-10 vocal people on a message board who are voicing their opinion, which they have a right to do.

We've seen UPROARS on this site...That's thread after thread popping up about the same topic. Angry folks...You get the picture.

Just my opinion here but I think if you'd poll women's basketball season ticket holders, the majority would be happy with Bill's decision. Again - That's just my opinion. Everybody has one.

I think BF has earned some leway with fans. I bet if we had a poll like this:

Billy was a great addition
I trust BF
Billy needs to be replaced now

About 90% of fans would pick the middle choice. About 4% would pick the top one and about 6% would pick the bottom. I wouldn't say that is overwhelming support one way are another. I think BF will be allowed this experiment by the fans just because he has earned our trust. If this was McDermott or Chizik the majority would pick the bottom. The fact that most fans wouldn't pick the top one is evidence of how little people actually care for the hire.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
It's obviously legal or they wouldn't allow would they?Do you think JP would allow illegal hiring practices to KNOWINGLY take place? As someone else said, if you are so worried about what you perceive to be illegal hiring, you should contact the Iowa State HR department.HUMAN RESOURCE SERVICES 515-294-9525 | 294-0104 NAME POSITION OFFICE EMAIL (@iastate.edu) Ruba, Kari Director of Human Resources 4-9525 kruba
If the hiring decision takes place above Bill (and I think it does), then they're in the clear.Iowa Regents' policy:4.11 Employment and Supervision of Immediate Family Members No employee of a Regent institution or the Board Office may participate in the decision to hire, retain, promote, grant tenure to or determine the salary of an immediate family member. Each institution shall implement this policy with appropriate disclosure requirements and management plans for situations in which an immediate family member would be in a supervisory role or otherwise expected to participate in major employment decisions.
Being against University policy does not mean it is illegal. No one necessarily gets arrested or goes to jail for violating University policy.I think we deserve to know what the procedures were in this, and other hires. Some of you apparently don't care. At the U of I, all kinds of hell is being raised about the fact that the spouse of the President there is a paid employee of the University, and is partially paid by the foundation. We need to know how the supervision is set up. How do they get around the requirement that one family member is not to be directly supervised by another? I know from personal experience this was not allowed in other departments. I just want to know how the Athletic Department gets by this. Guess I will have to talk to some old Personnel people I know at ISU, and some old Regents I know.

So you are saying JP knowingly violated the hiring policies of the university and Board of Regents with this hire?

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
So you are saying JP knowingly violated the hiring policies of the university and Board of Regents with this hire?

And look up the definition of policy. The first definition I came across doing a Google search was described as "a principle or rule to guide decisions".

A definition of business policy is: "defines the scope or spheres within which decisions can be taken by the subordinates in an organization. It permits the lower level management to deal with the problems and issues without consulting top level management every time for decisions. Business policies are the guidelines developed by an organization to govern its actions. They define the limits within which decisions must be made."

An other words policies are there to help you in making decisions, not there to make the decision for you. You can violate just about any "policy" and legally get by with it as long as you have a responsible explanation as to why it was necessary or the approval of those above you.

An other words, even if it is a violation of university policy, that doesn't mean the hire was a bad hire. JP himself as a department head may have the authorization to override such a policy. If not he may have got permission from the president. I believe the only time someone would have to seek BOR approval would be if the president was looking to hire department heads and that hire violated policy. Other than that it is simply chain of command.

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
Why are you so defensive about this? He's asking legitimate questions, as has pretty much everybody in this thread who has questioned the hire. I don't get the impression that he or anybody else want to "crow" about being right or wrong.

When a head coach hires his kid as an assistant, questions are going to be asked. In the Big 12, we've seen some attempts at a head coach grooming a family member to take over, and it hasn't exactly been a rousing success, despite some very successful head coaches giving it a try (i.e. Sutton and Knight). Is hiring Billy the first step down this path? If so, why does the staff think it can be successful at ISU, when it hasn't been elsewhere in our conference?

Sorry you feel I am defensive, I am just pointing out that this poster has numeruos times stated this hiring must be a violation and all I said was for him to get proof. If this was illegal (and I do not believe it was) and they finds proof you can bet they will let everyone know they were correct and those who felt otherwise were wrong. As far as grooming Billy for the head coach I believe he will have to go be a head coach at another school first to prove himself as you are correct the two cases on the mens side did not work out at all.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron