Body found near ISU Campus

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
So have they pretty much acknowledged it's him? I haven't seen anything to that effect. But it seems rather obvious.

However (again if it is him), that's some quality searching. Or by "as the snow melted" are they suggesting he was buried under snow IN a building? I suppose it might have somehow been concealed, which would lead one to think foul-play.
I think the sheer size of the coverage area is obviously going to leave some stones unturned. I don't know that with the resources provided it could even be said it was a 'every corner searched' search.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
How many of the buildings on the farm are still standing? I don't remember if there was an isolated room in the show ring, pretty sure there was a closet or two in the classroom.

I think the old pavilion was one big room with maybe a little storage under the bleachers. The classroom had the main classroom, an office, a couple of bathrooms and one or two closets. Like someone else mentioned, if the building in question wasn't used regularly, you would have thought that entry would have been difficult with snow blown up against it.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
I suppose it might have somehow been concealed, which would lead one to think foul-play.

This was my first thought. The body somehow had to have been concealed or at some point after the last search of that area it was placed there. The autopsy results are going to reveal the whole story if it does turn out to be the missing student. For everyone's sake in the community I hope that it was an accidental death if it does turn out to be him.

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
you are really reaching here.

Reaching??? Oh yeah...you are right....some national syndicate of killers who draws pictures murdered this kid, carried him to a barn and dumped the body. Dont' forget that the killing locations end up making a picture of a smiley face on a map and this dairy barn just happened to be the perfect location to fill in the left eye ball....

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Well, they didn't realize Jon was missing for nearly a week.

I thought it was several days.

Knowing something about the state of the body would clear a lot of this up. A body that's been in there for a week will be a lot different than one that has been there since February.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Reaching??? Oh yeah...you are right....some national syndicate of killers who draws pictures murdered this kid, carried him to a barn and dumped the body. Dont' forget that the killing locations end up making a picture of a smiley face on a map and this dairy barn just happened to be the perfect location to fill in the left eye ball....

My freshman year, I went to Pizza hut downtown and had a few too many pops.

Thought it was a nice easy walk home to Towers. Somehow ended up on 13th street heading east (I think), finally back down Dayton (I think) and wound up hoofing it in on Lincoln Way a few hours later before I started hitching back into Ames.

Fact is, I don't have a clue where I was or what led me there. Still don't. Have a few drinks, you don't always make correct and/or wise decisions.

At the same time, he was a junior, right? One would think he'd know his way around Campus town and Towers would be a pretty good landmark. The more I think about, the more it seems a bit fishy.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006

Thought it was a nice easy walk home to Towers. Somehow ended up on 13th street heading east (I think), finally back down Dayton (I think) and wound up hoofing it in on Lincoln Way a few hours later before I started hitching back into Ames.

Fact is, I don't have a clue where I was or what led me there. Still don't. Have a few drinks, you don't always make correct and/or wise decisions.

At the same time, he was a junior, right? One would think he'd know his way around Campus town and Towers would be a pretty good landmark. The more I think about, the more it seems a bit fishy.
again you had a 'few' to many-who knows he may have been beyond that.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
I thought it was several days.

Knowing something about the state of the body would clear a lot of this up. A body that's been in there for a week will be a lot different than one that has been there since February.

The post earlier about the police stating they had searched the area several times before for Jon, leads me to think they believe it's him.

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN

I got fairly "lost" with a friend walking back from Campus Town to West Ames (the decision to walk in the first place was a poor one!) just a couple years ago. We tried to take the "back roads" because we were carrying a few road sodas. I remember trying to cut through a few wooded areas and having no idea where we ended up. Eventually we stumbled upon North Dakota by chance and I was able to navigate the rest of the way. I'd say we walked around for a good 2+ hours though.

I've lived in Ames for going on 8 years.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I had a friend (he had WAY to much to drink, compared to Lacina who by all accounts had only had a few drinks) who got lost in Iowa City and ended up passing out in a stairwell to an apartment complex he had noticed on the ways to the bar and thought particularly nice. He was a good half mile away from where we were. You also here stories about people going into the wrong apartment and passing out for the night, its not impossible that this was an accident.

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006

Fishy? Sure, could be fishy. A national murder syndicate is quite a jump from fishy...that is all I am saying.

CyPride

Oct 12, 2008
Umm, no. I know a lot of people who have gotten drunk and fallen asleep in weird places. Just usually not unheated places in the winter.

I don't remember one report stating that this kid was 'drunk' or 'intoxicated' or anything else that stated he might have had a few drinks. Nothing to lead me to believe that he was so out of it that he wound up in a dairy barn too drunk to do anything but pass out on a freezing winter night. That is why I think you are reaching. But who knows, you might have it exactly how it happened.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
I got fairly "lost" with a friend walking back from Campus Town to West Ames (the decision to walk in the first place was a poor one!) just a couple years ago. We tried to take the "back roads" because we were carrying a few road sodas. I remember trying to cut through a few wooded areas and having no idea where we ended up. Eventually we stumbled upon North Dakota by chance and I was able to navigate the rest of the way. I'd say we walked around for a good 2+ hours though.

I've lived in Ames for going on 8 years.

Interesting. You would think you would have recognized Lincoln Way if you went from Campustown and ended up on North Dakota...

Reactions: CycoCyclone

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
Just some strange stuff. Place was searched before. Apparently the body was in an isolated room too, so how did it get there? Really interested to see how and what went down, more out of curiosity than anything.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
That would've been the obvious way to go, but like I said, we had decided to take the "back roads." Not my finest moment.

I think the question that need be asked... how many of the pops did you start with, and how many were left at the end? :wink:

At least you were supplied. I was just freaking lost.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
I think the question that need be asked... how many of the pops did you start with, and how many were left at the end? :wink:
and how did you make it to North Dakota in under two hours? That is a long drive :jimlad:

Reactions: DaddyMac

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
It has to be Lacina. Puzzling story. His friends said he wasn't that drunk. Maybe he stopped by a random house party where no one knew him and just got hammered and then this happened?

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I don't remember one report stating that this kid was 'drunk' or 'intoxicated' or anything else that stated he might have had a few drinks. Nothing to lead me to believe that he was so out of it that he wound up in a dairy barn too drunk to do anything but pass out on a freezing winter night. That is why I think you are reaching. But who knows, you might have it exactly how it happened.

I know there were no reports of that, but it's Ames on a weekend. It's not that far of a logical leap to think he was wandering around trashed.