Body found near ISU Campus

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I can save you the trouble. There was a major blizzard on the afternoon of Jan. 25 that nobody really saw coming. Closed a lot of roads and many people were stranded at work.

...and it was really bad out on Mortensen. I remember driving between the new middle school and towers at about 6:30 that night. There were about 3 cars that had gone off the road, and a huge drift by the cross country field and the old dairy farm that was blowing from the field towards the old dairy farm.

The conditions were pretty bad that night. If it is Lacina, and he was for some reason trapped in that building, I wouldn't be surprised if that storm is what took his life.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Hmmm, weird.

That building (if I'm thinking of the correct one) is a decent bit off the road (why would he go there) and not that big (to be searched).

That's the old pavilion. If he walked in the eastern most driveway, it would be the first building he'd walk to straight ahead of him, maybe 200 ft south of Mortenson at most. The show ring was wide open, then a 3-4' wall, then bleachers. If somebody looked in the window, a view could easily be obstructed but as far as walking in there, there wouldn't be a lot of places to hide but of course there was probably stuff stored in there now. There used to be buildings to the south of it so it didn't drift in badly on the south side but it looks like they're gone. The north side doors always drifted badly. With nothing to the south it could be pretty well drifted shut all the way around. I don't remember there being any walk in doors for that building, just the big doors on the ends. I would think it would have taken some effort to get in there.

We employees used to park our cars in there in the winter if there were no judging classes going on. Used to be heated back in the day, but not anymore obviously.

Last edited:

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny
doc4bc702dfa1b62667452266.jpg

Just drove past on the way to/from lunch. The Blue DCI truck/van thing at the edge of this picture has all the compartments opened up on it.

I'm know nothing about these crime scene investigations work, but to me it would seem if it was just a deceased man on the floor with nothing out of place they wouldn't be on hour 19 of investigating the scene, and the crime van wouldn't be fully opened up because there wouldn't be anything to collect/test for.

Obviously I'm just speculating but I was working under the assumption that he probably just stumbled out there and passed out dying from exposure. I didn't think there would be a whole lot to investigate, but the time that is being taken and the van with the open compartments makes me at least question that.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Just drove past on the way to/from lunch. The Blue DCI truck/van thing at the edge of this picture has all the compartments opened up on it.

I'm know nothing about these crime scene investigations work, but to me it would seem if it was just a deceased man on the floor with nothing out of place they wouldn't be on hour 19 of investigating the scene, and the crime van wouldn't be fully opened up because there wouldn't be anything to collect/test for.

Obviously I'm just speculating but I was working under the assumption that he probably just stumbled out there and passed out dying from exposure. I didn't think there would be a whole lot to investigate, but the time that is being taken and the van with the open compartments makes me at least question that.

Even if they're fairly sure of the cause, it would be irresponsible not to check the scene fully.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008

If and it is a big IF, they find that this was a homicide and not just some unfortunate accident.... How will it affect the community, student population, etc... Will the University spend more time with students on trying to drive home the importance of drinking responsibly, etc.....

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny
Even if they're fairly sure of the cause, it would be irresponsible not to check the scene fully.

I agree. I just wonder what there is to investigate. Do you dust the whole room for fingerprints? It's as much of a question about process in these situations as it is about what is going on. If nothing is out of place and there's just a deceased person in the room what do you look for? Obviously you'd take photographs of everything and document the state and location of the deceased, but I could do that in a couple hours. It may just be a standard procedure kind of thing, I just don't know what would take so much time.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
If and it is a big IF, they find that this was a homicide and not just some unfortunate accident.... How will it affect the community
It won't. Things happen in Ames every year.
student population,
Little to nothing.
Will the University spend more time with students on trying to drive home the importance of drinking responsibly, etc.....
Let's hope not. They already spend a ton of money trying to do so, and frankly, no matter what you do, there are still going to be the same number of morons.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
I agree. I just wonder what there is to investigate. Do you dust the whole room for fingerprints? It's as much of a question about process in these situations as it is about what is going on. If nothing is out of place and there's just a deceased person in the room what do you look for? Obviously you'd take photographs of everything and document the state and location of the deceased, but I could do that in a couple hours. It may just be a standard procedure kind of thing, I just don't know what would take so much time.

The obvious unknown is WHY he was in there. Why go through the effort of getting in that building, so far from where you said you were going, after you had (likely) passed so many other more accessible buildngs.

I know alot of us are speculating that he was more intoxicated than we were led to believe, and not making good decisions. But if you're really trying to find some shelter - that seems like an unlikely place to go. Towers is across the street, easily visible, and any person who's been in Ames for 10 minutes knows what and where those are.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Well, I suppose that's good.... At least brings some closure. Too bad for the family.

Alumgirl

Apr 30, 2010
Have anymore details been released on this case? What is the talk around campus? I don't mean to speculate and start rumors, just wondering what the heck happened to this kid?!

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
Autopsy results take time in normal cases. In cases such as this the medical tests can take even longer. Family can also choose to withhold results I would guess unless a crime was committed.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron