Body found near ISU Campus

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
How long has the snow been melted up there? I haven't been to Ames since last fall so I don't know when the majority of the snow melted up there.

It's been awhile, more than likely stems from a complaint about smell. It's very hear say but my girlfriend's bosses neighbor works for the Ames police and his wife said that they are thinking he was drunk and probably got hypothermia curled up in there and I think we can come up with the rest.

Cyclones01

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 23, 2008
Urbandale
maybe he was there before the snow, I mean he was gone for a week before it was reported, and we do live in Iowa where snow seems to come and go as it pleases. who knows

cycoOJfan89

Oct 20, 2009
Ames/Cedar Rapids
So I originally didn't want to post anything about this, but this is too creepy and coincidental for me not to...

Sunday night I decided to kick off VEISHEA with some friends in Cyclone Plaza and was under the influence of alcohol and maybe another substance:wink: Anyway it was about 2-2:30am so I decided to walk home. Well the problem is that I live off of Coconino Rd in west Ames. I had quite the journey in front of me but had committed to it, and I came to the T-intersection of Hayward and Mortensen. I took a right on that jogging/biking path that runs parallel with Mortensen and about 50 ft into the path I start hearing weird noises from one of the sheds from that dairy farm. It was as if a blacksmith was doing metal work. The noise was rapid and had a certain rhythm if that makes sense. So I knew it couldn't have been the wind blowing a door open and closed or something of that nature.

I am completely alone, it was super dark and there was no traffic. So I stop, look over and the noise stops suddenly. Now I'm "freaking out man" if you know what I mean! I tell myself I'm paranoid and continue walking and I hear the noise in the distance. I make it home and tell my roommate about it the next morning (Monday), I thought it was strange but didn't think much about it until they found a body there 3 days later...:wideeyed:

It could easily just be a coincidence and just a scary thought, but if the autopsy shows that the man was killed relatively recently (not Jon Lacina) then I will definitely believe something very bad and evil was happening in there as I was walking by!

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
great question, but when did he go missing??

I believe he was last seen Fri Jan 22 (??), but his Dad didn't report him missing til the following Sunday (31st). Edit: Dad reported Sat the 30th

Alot of weather in there. Seems like we had a major storm about every week this Dec/Jan.

beatiowa

Dec 21, 2008
Berkeley, CA
They said that the area was searched, not specifically inside the building. If there was waist-deep snow around the exterior, opening the doors (assuming they open outward instead of inward) would have been darn near impossible.

..which makes you wonder how the body could have gotten in there. Even if he was drunk, digging through that much snow just to get into the door of a random building seems like more effort than the average drunk person would want to do. Add to that and it didn't snow very much in the week between when he went missing and when the search began. There would have had to have been some sort of snow clearing from where he entered the building, and then it would have been fairly easy (and necessary) for the searchers to get in there too.

Edit: man, everyone else is a quicker typer than me.

Last edited:

ddisu

Nov 11, 2009
Toledo
maybe he was there before the snow, I mean he was gone for a week before it was reported, and we do live in Iowa where snow seems to come and go as it pleases. who knows

There was snow on the ground and a lot of it from about Dec 15th on in Ames and pretty much all of central Iowa. He wouldn't have been in there before the snow. Since this was vacant, I assume they weren't doing snow removal. If they were maybe he went in there between storms.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
That is completely ****ed up. Honest question..... What the hell goes wrong in someone's head to make them think that doing **** like that is the best thing to do? Wow.....:no:

Watch a couple of episodes of Criminal Minds - they sometimes get into some pretty scientific reasons behind why people are so ****** up...

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Watch a couple of episodes of Criminal Minds - they sometimes get into some pretty scientific reasons behind why people are so ****** up...

Seen literally every episode of Criminal Minds, and while some of the crap they say sounds like exactly that, there is a factual basis to what is said if you google it.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
There was snow on the ground and a lot of it from about Dec 15th on in Ames and pretty much all of central Iowa. He wouldn't have been in there before the snow. Since this was vacant, I assume they weren't doing snow removal. If they were maybe he went in there between storms.

There had to be some sort of significant snow that week. I recall many reports where they were concerned that he may have passed out and been buried in a snow bank somewhere.

ddisu

Nov 11, 2009
Toledo
So I originally didn't want to post anything about this, but this is too creepy and coincidental for me not to...

Sunday night I decided to kick off VEISHEA with some friends in Cyclone Plaza and was under the influence of alcohol and maybe another substance:wink: Anyway it was about 2-2:30am so I decided to walk home. Well the problem is that I live off of Coconino Rd in west Ames. I had quite the journey in front of me but had committed to it, and I came to the T-intersection of Hayward and Mortensen. I took a right on that jogging/biking path that runs parallel with Mortensen and about 50 ft into the path I start hearing weird noises from one of the sheds from that dairy farm. It was as if a blacksmith was doing metal work. The noise was rapid and had a certain rhythm if that makes sense. So I knew it couldn't have been the wind blowing a door open and closed or something of that nature.

I am completely alone, it was super dark and there was no traffic. So I stop, look over and the noise stops suddenly. Now I'm "freaking out man" if you know what I mean! I tell myself I'm paranoid and continue walking and I hear the noise in the distance. I make it home and tell my roommate about it the next morning (Monday), I thought it was strange but didn't think much about it until they found a body there 3 days later...:wideeyed:

It could easily just be a coincidence and just a scary thought, but if the autopsy shows that the man was killed relatively recently (not Jon Lacina) then I will definitely believe something very bad and evil was happening in there as I was walking by!

I thought I was somebody. Lucky for me your avatar has your picture, and this post gives me an idea of where you live. Small world isn't it?

cowboycurtis

Jul 20, 2006
There had to be some sort of significant snow that week. I recall many reports where they were concerned that he may have passed out and been buried in a snow bank somewhere.

I remember when all the searches were going on. they were using end loaders moving alot of snow banks looking for him.

Topshelf

Jan 31, 2007
Ames, IA

You should probably report that to the police. If the body wasn't there in February and it turns out to be Lucina, that could possibly mean someone put it there recently... or that night you are speaking of...

beatiowa

Dec 21, 2008
Berkeley, CA

If I remember correctly, there was one storm between when he went missing and when they began searching. There was only an inch or two of snow, but it was very windy and there was a lot of drifting. It was enough to cover up any footprints (hence why the Lake Laverne searches were necessary). However, any major moving (like trying to get a door in a barn open) would have probably still been visible. There was definitely well over a foot of snow on the ground at the time, and I don't think the snow ever melted lower than that until around spring break.

cycoOJfan89

Oct 20, 2009
Ames/Cedar Rapids
If I remember correctly, there was one storm between when he went missing and when they began searching. There was only an inch or two of snow, but it was very windy and there was a lot of drifting. It was enough to cover up any footprints (hence why the Lake Laverne searches were necessary). However, any major moving (like trying to get a door in a barn open) would have probably still been visible. There was definitely well over a foot of snow on the ground at the time, and I don't think the snow ever melted lower than that until around spring break.

This is correct. There was a blizzard (not much precipitation, tons of wind) the Monday after he went missing, but was still a few days from being reported missing. And this winter was brutal, there was definitely quite a bit of snow on the ground before the blizzard.

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
Check all the weather threads on here.

I can save you the trouble. There was a major blizzard on the afternoon of Jan. 25 that nobody really saw coming. Closed a lot of roads and many people were stranded at work.

Edit: Who needs the Weather Channel when yo have CF?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron