Bowl Game Projections

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I'd be ok with a bowl game in Ames (although it will never happen), but I'd never want ISU to play in it. Bowl games are about the travel. For that reason, I can't imagine Memphis is to excited. They went from nearly playing in the NY6 to a game they don't get to travel to. Kind of sucks for the Memphis seniors...

That is what I said all along. Sure it wasn't really fair to who ever had to play Memphis on their home field, but it sucks even more for Memphis because they had a great season, came within an eyelash of winning their conference championship game and all they now get is one more home game. Not real inspiring in my book.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

cyanide

Apr 21, 2006
Can't afford to go this year but hope everyone else can. Memphis still talks about the last time we were in the bowlgame there.

NobodyBeatsCy

Apr 17, 2008
Clive, IA
I'm surprised there are people surprised about this. We're playing a top 25 team in their home stadium and the last time we played there we got slaughtered by a G5 team. For those who aren't traveling to it there's not a lot to be excited about other than actually playing in a bowl, which is nice to be doing again.

It does seem like we're being brought in much like the Washington Generals are brought in to play the Globetrotters.

ISUfan1992

Jun 11, 2012
Boone IA
Teams Memphis has beaten: Ul-Mon(4-8) UCLA(6-6), So Illnois(4-7) Huston(7-4), Tulane(5-7), Tulsa(2-10) SMU( 7-5) Uconn(3-9), Navy(6-5) only 1 P5 opponent in that group and just JUST eeked out a win.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Not excited about the matchup. But:

First bowl in 5 years
Driveable
Memphis BBQ
Beale St.
Gus's Fried Chicken
All the alcohol in Greater Memphis

I'll eventually warm up to it.

Saturday game on ABC in front of what should be one of the better atmospheres in a non-NY6 bowl. I would've preferred an SEC opponent, but I'm still pumped for a bowl game.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I hate the matchup and I'm not real fired up about the destination, but it's time to quit bitchin and support our team. For those of you "boycotting" you have it completely wrong. Send 30,000 clones down there and make it the most impressive showing in the country. That will make us more desirable in the future.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Anybody that thinks Memphis won’t be jacked for this game is high

Anytime a G5 gets to play a P5 on natl tv, they will be hyped.

Not to mention it’s a team from a conference that didn’t think they were good enough to be a member of just a year ago.

We will be walking into a hornets nest and the world will get to see it.

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
Saturday game on ABC in front of what should be one of the better atmospheres in a non-NY6 bowl. I would've preferred an SEC opponent, but I'm still pumped for a bowl game.
I'm fine with Memphis and can't believe people are ******** about it, but this is a little strong.

• Agree
Reactions: dirtyninety

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

Not to mention it’s a team from a conference that didn’t think they were good enough to be a member of just a year ago.

And if we win, I expect you to be very excited and thrilled since it seems to me that you give Iowa state no chance.

cy2win

May 15, 2006

If we are at full strength, bring it on.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm and cygrads

xr4ticlone

Oct 1, 2006
Texas
I'm sorry...but this is a kick in the nuts...

Playing a non-P5 team...in a 'ehhh' market....in their home stadium.

Couldn't be less excited about this game.

Plus as OP stated, it's a hornet's nest game.

Beating Memphis? wow
Getting beat by Memphis? sucks
Memphis has both a chip on their shoulders from not being a P5 team & also dissed by the B12. I'm sure they all think they should be in the B12...probably in Iowa State's place.

Beating Memphis would be a nice season finish...but won't change my opinion on anything.

For the love of God...can't the NCAA figure out HTF to schedule bowls so they don't end up with a bunch of ****** home team bowl games? Or just kill the damn things and be done with it.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Can't afford to go both in cost and time off from work (we get no vacation time) plus there are ISU BBALL home games that need support too. For those going have a blast and cheer your ***** olff.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I'm fine with Memphis and can't believe people are ******** about it, but this is a little strong.

Have you watched bowl games lately? Outside of about 10 games, there are no fans in the stands. This game will be packed and loud.

• Agree

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I’ll be the same level of excitement as I was when we beat Akron...our last G5 opponent on the road

You do realize that Iowa State didn't pick this game, right? It was the best available option that we had.

• Agree

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron