Bowl Game Projections

hoosman

Sep 4, 2006
Davenport
A bowl game win has lots of intangible benefits. 8 wins. Possible year end ranking. Media exposure. Recruiting boost. Next season carryover with higher preseason predictions. Improved internal culture and confidence. Becoming an established program that is treated fairly by broadcasters, officials, and future bowl selections.

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
I want @dirtyninety opinion on this game.

I have nothing against Memphis, the Liberty Bowl, or Elvis Presley. The war cry "Liberty Bowl" was a declaration that an administration just accepted and approved the continuation of a staff--without any changes at all--that coached probably the worst performance I had every seen when that team laid over and died. I mean, after a say 30 second reflection on that season and that bowl game it was pretty self-evident and obvious that something sick existed on that staff and it wasn't going to fix itself. So what do we do? nothing the first year and then Mangino after that. Wasted years of 2013, 2014, 2015. Some dudes got some cash out of the deal...some sons and brothers of coaches. Mangino thanks you.
I'm over it now I guess....the long road led us to CMC.
This game itself.....Well, firstly if we beat Kansas State and/or West Virginia we don't really have anything to ***** about...so it is our fault. The vibe I am getting now really reeks of the Humanitarian Bowl and Boise State in 2002 for those that remember that.......just this inevitable self-destruction and inability to crush the malaise that infects the team to keep it from just making plays and beating the other team by imposing our will. I hope I'm wrong.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
I hope that we blow them out. Otherwise, bring your nut cups. Close game on the road opens the possibility for the usual ref screwjob in favor of the home team.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I have nothing against Memphis, the Liberty Bowl, or Elvis Presley. The war cry "Liberty Bowl" was a declaration that an administration just accepted and approved the continuation of a staff--without any changes at all--that coached probably the worst performance I had every seen when that team laid over and died. I mean, after a say 30 second reflection on that season and that bowl game it was pretty self-evident and obvious that something sick existed on that staff and it wasn't going to fix itself. So what do we do? nothing the first year and then Mangino after that. Wasted years of 2013, 2014, 2015. Some dudes got some cash out of the deal...some sons and brothers of coaches. Mangino thanks you.
I'm over it now I guess....the long road led us to CMC.
This game itself.....Well, firstly if we beat Kansas State and/or West Virginia we don't really have anything to ***** about...so it is our fault. The vibe I am getting now really reeks of the Humanitarian Bowl and Boise State in 2002 for those that remember that.......just this inevitable self-destruction and inability to crush the malaise that infects the team to keep it from just making plays and beating the other team by imposing our will. I hope I'm wrong.

Not even close. That was a total collapse that was punctuated with a loss to UConn when they were barely fielding a team. Wet and cold on a blue field. If people are getting those same vibes this year, they have little appreciation for what a bowl game means for this program as it stands now.

• Winner
Reactions: aauummm

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
Not even close. That was a total collapse that was punctuated with a loss to UConn when they were barely fielding a team. Wet and cold on a blue field. If people are getting those same vibes this year, they have little appreciation for what a bowl game means for this program as it stands now.

I'm not sure we are disagreeing or something is getting lost in translation. The Humiliation Bowl was our third in a string of bowls, yet the momentum of the program was stifled. I'm getting that vibe now because the odds are so stacked against us and the blue and all. Who else has to play other up-and-coming programs with chips on their shoulder in their own stadium for bowls?!?!?! noone. Just us. Rutgers at the Bronx? Boise St.? I was really high on our team--as was everybody--when the Pinstripe buzzkill happened. Now......it's just my conditioned response to grab the nut-cup on this one.

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
I hope that we blow them out. Otherwise, bring your nut cups. Close game on the road opens the possibility for the usual ref screwjob in favor of the home team.

I think we've blown one team out all year.....maybe two if you count UNI.

Reactions: xr4ticlone

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
Memphis is rewarded with a P5 team at home from a conference they feel snubbed them...yeah, they are going to be pumped. Anyone who thinks they’re disappointed in their gift is kidding themselves. This is their chance to feast. Who would sign up for another home game and a chance to pack the Jack against a P5 team this year?

With that said and the crappy situation at hand, we need to go in there and take care of business. They are ranked, and a pretty good team with a good coach...can’t turn your nose up at the opponent with that in mind. Isn’t a win-win for ISU, so I look at it now as another chance to tackle adversity...don’t lose your bowl games no matter who they are against.

Wild card here is I think their coach might get a shot at Arky or TN.

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
Memphis is rewarded with a P5 team at home from a conference they feel snubbed them...yeah, they are going to be pumped. Anyone who thinks they’re disappointed in their gift is kidding themselves. This is their chance to feast. Who would sign up for another home game and a chance to pack the Jack against a P5 team this year?

With that said and the crappy situation at hand, we need to go in there and take care of business. They are ranked, and a pretty good team with a good coach...can’t turn your nose up at the opponent with that in mind. Isn’t a win-win for ISU, so I look at it now as another chance to tackle adversity...don’t lose your bowl games no matter who they are against.

Wild card here is I think their coach might get a shot at Arky or TN.
From the looks of their fan board it seems like Norvell to Arkansas is a done deal

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
“I would say this, this fan base hasn’t disappointed,” Campbell said. “I certainly know Memphis thinks it’s going to be a home game and I’m sure it will be a great crowd from the Memphis side, but the one thing I know about Cyclone fans is they won’t disappoint. I guess I’m calling all Cyclones and right now. We need you there, ready to rock and roll, but I know they’ll be there ready to go. What a great atmosphere for college football and I couldn’t think of a greater way to go out.”

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I won't be able to go to Memphis for the bowl, but I'd love to visit the Gibson factory sometime.

I think you need a reservation the Gibson Guitar tour. Book early. It was really cool. They still follow an old design for manufacturing.

• Informative
Reactions: cyclones500

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
“I would say this, this fan base hasn’t disappointed,” Campbell said. “I certainly know Memphis thinks it’s going to be a home game and I’m sure it will be a great crowd from the Memphis side, but the one thing I know about Cyclone fans is they won’t disappoint. I guess I’m calling all Cyclones and right now. We need you there, ready to rock and roll, but I know they’ll be there ready to go. What a great atmosphere for college football and I couldn’t think of a greater way to go out.”

Time for the crybabies to shut up, buy tickets, and just cheer for the team. HCMC has spoken.

DrClone

Jun 13, 2009
Other cool things to do:

Grizzlies game
Gibson Guitar factory with tours of the manufacturing floor
Civil Rights Museum

All near Beale Street.

Anyone else haves suggestions of things in Memphis or the surrounding area. We're driving down and staying from the 27th - 31st. A mini vacation.

CintiClone

Nov 10, 2009
Weren’t there posts right before the season began about how the Liberty Bowl would be the end to a good season? Perhaps someone with more time and skill than I could repost them. Most predictions this year were for 4-5 wins at best and any bowl game would be awesome. I personally wish we were playing on January 8th, but the committee didn’t see it my way. Even so, getting excited about Memphis doesn’t seem too hard.

BeneventiCy28

Feb 9, 2015
Granger
Weren’t there posts right before the season began about how the Liberty Bowl would be the end to a good season? Perhaps someone with more time and skill than I could repost them. Most predictions this year were for 4-5 wins at best and any bowl game would be awesome. I personally wish we were playing on January 8th, but the committee didn’t see it my way. Even so, getting excited about Memphis doesn’t seem too hard.
I know I said about a month ago that there is no way we’d go to the liberty bowl. I also said that knowing that we would not lose our last three games. Of course that was before we got screwed out of at least one, maybe two wins, and that was also before camping world said if Notre Dame was available, they’d take ND AND Texas regardless of options. Just goes to show any dumbass can say anything. I guess that’s the internet for you.

• Friendly

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
3 teams that are bowl eligible didn’t make games. Buffalo, UTSA, Western Michigan.

I wonder how they determine who doesn’t get in a game.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron