Bowl Game Projections

aauummm

May is National Walking Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
The Cactus Bowl would be fine, just kind of makes Christmas a bit messy. We have done Christmas early though in the past to accommodate travel plans. The wife did not really appreciate it though.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Since ISU has never been to a Florida Bowl I really don't understand the negativity. Been to AZ, TX and TN, not to mention LA and GA. Never been to a Florida Bowl. As a fan base I would think that would be very appealing. Not to mention the weather, the Mouse, 100's of miles of fantastic beaches, Space Center etc.

It costs more to go to nice places. Nobody wants to go to a bowl game in Ottumwa no matter how much cheaper it is.

Ok, off my soapbox.

Disclaimer: I spend 6 months per year in Florida, so I'm totally biased. Still, I just don't understand it.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Since ISU has never been to a Florida Bowl I really don't understand the negativity. Been to AZ, TX and TN, not to mention LA and GA. Never been to a Florida Bowl. As a fan base I would think that would be very appealing. Not to mention the weather, the Mouse, 100's of miles of fantastic beaches, Space Center etc.

It costs more to go to nice places. Nobody wants to go to a bowl game in Ottumwa no matter how much cheaper it is.

Ok, off my soapbox.

Disclaimer: I spend 6 months per year in Florida, so I'm totally biased. Still, I just don't understand it.

Distance, date, cost, Orlando isn't on the beach.

CyInDFW

Aug 14, 2015
Lewisville, TX
Sure, and put Matt Campbell as the coach of the Irish and they run the table. That's not how it works, you don't get to switch backs for the bowl game. Adams has been a better back yardage wise this season. He has more yards in less carries which also means he has a higher average for his yards per carry. You can talk about better lines and whatnot, but those types of hypotheticals don't win football games.

Actually better lines do win football games. It's been proven year after year after year.

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
The irony that looks like the B12 could get hosed in year 1 of a championship game by having it. If we didn't have it. OU would be in playoff guarenteed and TCU in NY6. Now a decent chance we could lose one of those by playing this game. I wonder how much they factored losing NY6 spots into the equation. I will be pissed if the B1G and SEC get 3 the ACC and PAC 12 get 2 (or 3) and we get just 1 Playoff/NY6 team.

• Agree
Reactions: psychlone99

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
The irony that looks like the B12 could get hosed in year 1 of a championship game by having it. If we didn't have it. OU would be in playoff guarenteed and TCU in NY6. Now a decent chance we could lose one of those by playing this game. I wonder how much they factored losing NY6 spots into the equation. I will be pissed if the B1G and SEC get 3 the ACC and PAC 12 get 2 (or 3) and we get just 1 Playoff/NY6 team.

Although I tend to agree but does the $3Mil or whatever per school for the championship game offset some of that?

• Informative
Reactions: khardbored

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
Although I tend to agree but does the $3Mil or whatever per school for the championship game offset some of that?
I am not saying we shouldn't have it. Just saying it would be ironic that it was added to improve our standing with committee selections that in year one it could in fact harm it (as many projected could easily happen in many cases). I was and am pro-championship game.

• Agree
Reactions: wxman1

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC

Ok, off my soapbox.

Spoken by a true Iowan.

• Funny
Reactions: khardbored

CRCy

Sep 13, 2016
but it is 59 minutes from Daytona Beach and 2 hours to Clearwater. Definitely close enough to the beach for me.

How many people really want to drive to a beach over an hour away when it's probably going to be in the 60's?

Sure if you have never seen the ocean/gulf before I get it but it isn't like it's going to be in the 80's/90's and sunny.