BRACKETS: ISU mostly on the 6-line heading into tournament week

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
IMO, we need to win Thursday in order to keep that 6 seed. I feel like losing that game will "give" our 6 seed to OSU. Or...

3449086.jpg

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
Playing in Indy and possible match up with UK, not good. Indy would be painted blue. Happy to play them further away from Lexington.

IDontHateIowaSt

Jan 27, 2016
Altoona
Playing in Indy and possible match up with UK, not good. Indy would be painted blue. Happy to play them further away from Lexington.
Agreed. Hard to compete with bandwagon fans in a neighboring state. But win a couple games in the conference tournament and it shouldn't be a problem. I personally like our chances of making a Sunday game this weekend.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
I have not seen Butler much, but would take Lunardi's bracket in a heartbeat. Watched WSU whip Illinois State yesterday. ISU v ISU!

Butler would be a nightmare for us. I dont think Illinois State is getting in, they just didnt look like a tourney team yesterday when I watched them.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012

Does anyone know how the committee decides what seed has (or gets) to play the 'play-in' game winners? For example, Lunardi has us as a 6 seed doing it, and I believe another place a 5 seed doing it. I guess I don't understand that, because a lot of times that play-in game is amongst Power 5 teams that are coming on strong later in the season and have a good shot of taking someone out before some of the normal 11 or 12 seeds do. But, I guess its a numbers game regardless, and where else to do you put the 'play-in' winners?

And are we automatically slated to have to play the 'play-in game' winner, or does it matter who those teams are and where?

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Does anyone know how the committee decides what seed has (or gets) to play the 'play-in' game winners? For example, Lunardi has us as a 6 seed doing it, and I believe another place a 5 seed doing it. I guess I don't understand that, because a lot of times that play-in game is amongst Power 5 teams that are coming on strong later in the season and have a good shot of taking someone out before some of the normal 11 or 12 seeds do. But, I guess its a numbers game regardless, and where else to do you put the 'play-in' winners?

And are we automatically slated to have to play the 'play-in game' winner, or does it matter who those teams are and where?

I think it depends on the strength of the AQs. If you have more strong AQs, the play-in games will move to the 12 seed play-ins. If none of the low and mid-major AQs are worthy of 10-11 seeds or higher, then the play-in at large games move up on the seed line.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Butler would be a nightmare for us. I dont think Illinois State is getting in, they just didnt look like a tourney team yesterday when I watched them.

Saying any 3-seed is a nightmare is overstating things. Butler is 23rd in KenPom, one spot above us. I know they have a reputation for playing slow and being physical, but their defense is 50th in KenPom. Butler would likely be favored by no more than 3.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
If there's one thing I've learned, it's that "always" and "never" are two of the most dangerous words in the English language.

In this case, it is absolutely true.

Reactions: wxman1

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Saying any 3-seed is a nightmare is overstating things. Butler is 23rd in KenPom, one spot above us. I know they have a reputation for playing slow and being physical, but their defense is 50th in KenPom. Butler would likely be favored by no more than 3.

Yeah, I guess if I had to pick a 3 seed to play it would be Butler but I still wouldnt feel very comfortable playing them.

• Agree
Reactions: SolarGarlic

CycloneWarning

Jan 14, 2008
Yeah, I guess if I had to pick a 3 seed to play it would be Butler but I still wouldnt feel very comfortable playing them.

Plus check out the other #3 seed locations.

#3 UCLA in Sacramento - NOPE
#3 Florida State in Orlando - NOPE
#3 Arizona in SLC - NOPE

ISU would bring a lot of fans to Milwaukee for the #3 game against Butler.