Brent Metcalf and Mike Zadick joining coaching Staff

jkbuff98

Jan 3, 2017
Great hires, really excited for what they bring to the program. As far as the shove, let's not focus on that, after Caldwell stalling the match out and doing a back flip before the ref blew the whistle I may have been inclined to do the same thing in the heat of the moment. Can't let that one action define him. Metcalf is a great wrestler and a great asset. Welcome aboard !

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Via flowrestling Metcalf and Zadick are on board. That gives us a staff of Dresser, Zadick, St.John and Metcalf. All former Hawkeyes. I'll admit I'm a bit conflicted about it but I do believe they will get this turned around.

http://www.flowrestling.org/article...oining-iowa-state-coaching-staff#.WOKeimQrLUp
I'm not conflicted at all. Iowa Wrestling has an expectation of winning. We need that back. If these guys can "Dan Gable" us I'm all for it. Incidentally, I haven't followed wrestling in years and these hires have brought me back. I'm certain I'm not alone.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
No surprise with Zadick and St. John, but really surprised about Metcalf. I thought Metcalf hated Dresser for causing him to lose a year of eligibility for not allowing him to transfer to Iowa when Brands left? I know there was quite a bit of dislike there at the very least.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
No surprise with Zadick and St. John, but really surprised about Metcalf. I thought Metcalf hated Dresser for causing him to lose a year of eligibility for not allowing him to transfer to Iowa when Brands left? I know there was quite a bit of dislike there at the very least.

Was that on Dresser or the VT AD? I would think it was the VT AD.

• Agree
Reactions: isumellie

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I think the Metcalf to Iowa thing was more about the VT AD not allowing the transfer.

Also the main complaint about Dresser was his lack of freestyle experience. He strengthened that up with Zadick and Metcalf.

Very strong staff. Wonder if some decommits are 2nd guessing themselves

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

RUNx365

Mar 23, 2015
I'm not overly concerned that they are all former Hawkeyes, and like each hire on an individual basis. I'm more concerned they all weigh within 15 pounds of each other. Who is going to wrestle the 174s and up? And who with the 125s?

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Zadick will handle the lightweights and Metcalf the middle weights and St John the 165-184 guys. Might be lacking 197-Hwt. But keep Gadson and Dom around and they can get a lot of wrestling with them outside of the team practice schedule

cywr89

May 14, 2009
I'm sure St. John is weighing at least 180 and Metcalf 165. Zadick is probably 150 range. Everyone will be covered except 285 (maybe 197) and that is where the RTC athletes come into play. Metcalf is huge get and will attract RTC athletes in the middle weights. A great work out partner that will not be competing against you is tough to find.

• Agree
Reactions: buf87

RUNx365

Mar 23, 2015
Maybe he has kept his weight down, but I'd be surprised if Zadick only weighs 150. He wrestled 149 in college and hasn't made 132 in 5 years. Not to mention that beard probably adds 7-10lbs!

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Are we mistaking Krakow for Mac Southard? Southard tweeted out his commitment and had recently beat Krakow at some event.

I have no idea. I just know Krakow was the runner up at 160 1A this year. Not sure who committed, just responded to the post.

minnesotaCY10

Feb 14, 2017
Love the hires! Now i'd like to see CRTC put a youth program in place like how Penn State has the young guns. Personally i'd give TJ Sebolt a call. With Sebolt wrestling academy putting out some of the top talent in the state in the youth department you now have them growing up around the cyclone wresting brand. Hopefully Give ISU a leg up with in state recruiting. Just a thought.

• Agree
Reactions: Primetime26

isit

Feb 9, 2014
i learned the news of the Dresser hires at 3:15 this afternoon. It is now past 7:15. I know I'm supposed to contact a doctor if my erection lasts for longer than four hours, but I'd rather share it here. It's been a tough last hour. Just got off the phone with my kids after telling them that the direction of legacy giving is going in another direction. They wished me a long and healthy life.