Campbells Ohio game exit video

CyPack

Apr 19, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
And the defense is still one of the best in the country six years later. Time to rework the offense
Actually this past off season was the time to rework the offense but that obviously didn't happen. If there wasn't enough evidence built up that what they were doing on O wasn't working then there never will be. He's being stubborn to a fault at this point.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Problem I have with Rocco is people don't respect his arm and they don't worry about him running. So what are we doing here? he's got this year to perform, and then you have to decide if it's Rocco or Kohl for the next 3 years. One or the other will have to transfer. There isn't any way around it. Probably after this year but maybe after next year. it's just reality.

If I were Campbell, I'm not sure I want to deal with Kohl transferring given the heat he will be under at the end of this year.

If we start managing the team to keep someone around who may or may not be better than the alternative, especially with them being only a year apart, it's over. There is no guarantee that Kohl will be better the Becht and he certainly isn't right now, especially if you need to put the game in his hands like we will likely need to do.

Reactions: JimmyChitwood

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
There has to be. One situation Saturday in the 3rd Q, I believe it was 2nd and long. Passing formation, Ohio was in a 2 deep with the LB's back. We ran the usual pre-snap motion and the backers all immediately came up to the line of scrimmage before the snap of the ball for a run for no gain.

I don't know enough to know what they were keying on, but they definitely weren't guessing.
Sad part is, a MAC school has identified it before our own highly paid staff has.

Think of that.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Actually this past off season was the time to rework the offense but that obviously didn't happen. If there wasn't enough evidence built up that what they were doing on O wasn't working then there never will be. He's being stubborn to a fault at this point.
When this offense has been at its best, we have had elite TE play. Both blocking and catching the football. I am sure the change at OL coach and the talent in the TE room had him thinking the offense would be much better than it has shown this year. I would think that it is hard to make wholesale changes to the offense mid season, but we definitely need to move to some other pages in the playbook. The three TE look is not creating the advantages they desire.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
OMG. Haters will magnify this unreasonably. Likers will see the fight in CMC.

Practically, no one will remember this happening across the nation countless times by coaches who are successful by every count and are still at those respective schools.

And for crying out loud, the people saying this is the worst run in Iowa State history are barely out of their crib. The guy can go winless for two years before that's even a concern. And even then, his losses are still closer than any of the losses (san TCU) in those two bleak years.

So, for those 'haters', sit down and shut up. You're ruining the movie. Or, more likely, you'll raise your little pinky and press the all important 'dumb' button, and will hide from comment.
A lot of bleak and even dark moments in our past, but 2-10 over the last 12 games would have to put this recent stretch right up there. I am not old enough to remember the 80s and first half of the 90s, which I know from my sports almanac were horrid stretches of time. But 2-10 is a season long sample size, and 2-10 would be one of the worse black eyes in program history. The only time a Cyclone team finished 2-10 or worse in my cognizant fan existence was 2003, 2008, and 2014.

2003 - Big rebuild year for McCarney. They were good to great at times over the next couple seasons before the wheels came off in '06.

2008 - Year 2 of Chizik. Felt like the program somehow took a step back in his 2nd year, and then he bounced. But the program was not worse for the wear, as Paul Rhoads was competitive with Chizik players for his first few seasons at the helm.

2014 - Utter failure and hopelessness in Rhoads 6th season. Program did not recover for several seasons and had to experience coach and culture change in order to do so.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Here is to hoping the current situation is more like 2003 or 2008 than 2014 I guess. It certainly has all the 'feels' of 2014. Losing to lesser opponents and looking like the lesser team while doing it (Rhoads vs North Dakota State in 2014, Matt to Ohio in 2023). Offensively offensive offense under a new OC being micromanaged my a stubborn and unwilling to change HC (Mangino/Rhoads in 2014, Scheelhause/Campbell in 2023). There are more than a few similarities going on here.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I'm not reading through 25 pages here...but has anyone mentioned the guy in the video is pretty clearly a bit..."off"? I mean like works at the can redemption place for the state..."off".

If this was a Hawk we would be calling out "Tavern Hawk". All the more reason to have just ignored him. Based on what's been said about other comments from him at the game I won't mind seeing him banned from Trice.

With that said, it only went viral because Campbell responded. You've just gotta let this stuff slide especially after getting humiliated on the road like that. It's a bad look. Not fun seeing emails from friends on it today (not Cyclones or Hawks, just sports fan guys). Coaches and fans get mad at players retaliating on the field and getting a penalty when someone else "started it". Coach had no more discipline than a player picking up a 15 yearder.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
A lot of bleak and even dark moments in our past, but 2-10 over the last 12 games would have to put this recent stretch right up there. I am not old enough to remember the 80s and first half of the 90s, which I know from my sports almanac were horrid stretches of time. But 2-10 is a season long sample size, and 2-10 would be one of the worse black eyes in program history. The only time a Cyclone team finished 2-10 or worse in my cognizant fan existence was 2003, 2008, and 2014.

2003 - Big rebuild year for McCarney. They were good to great at times over the next couple seasons before the wheels came off in '06.

2008 - Year 2 of Chizik. Felt like the program somehow took a step back in his 2nd year, and then he bounced. But the program was not worse for the wear, as Paul Rhoads was competitive with Chizik players for his first few seasons at the helm.

2014 - Utter failure and hopelessness in Rhoads 6th season. Program did not recover for several seasons and had to experience coach and culture change in order to do so.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Here is to hoping the current situation is more like 2003 or 2008 than 2014 I guess. It certainly has all the 'feels' of 2014. Losing to lesser opponents and looking like the lesser team while doing it (Rhoads vs North Dakota State in 2014, Matt to Ohio in 2023). Offensively offensive offense under a new OC being micromanaged my a stubborn and unwilling to change HC (Mangino/Rhoads in 2014, Scheelhause/Campbell in 2023). There are more than a few similarities going on here.
Well put post. However, those 80's/90's losses weren't just losses. They were embarrassingly lopsided. Think TCU loss last year multiple times per season. I've recalled several teams suffering embarrassing early season losses regrouping and playing better. Let's hope!

I suspect offense is mostly an OL personnel issue, which I would agree also falls on the HC. But, we too aren't void of responsibility. Especially in our NIL contributions. And in absence of those, MC may have to rely more on building in-house. Which as we all know can vary significantly.

All that said, I'll have to admit, I've never had a good vibe of the new OL coach. Mainly because all I heard off season was we were going to be more physical. I know I didn't excel in soccer because I was physically gifted. I did because I was smart. I would have loved to hear more about learning the system, studying film of opposing systems, scheming for multiple systems, etc., etc.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Well put post. However, those 80's/90's losses weren't just losses. They were embarrassingly lopsided. Think TCU loss last year multiple times per season. I've recalled several teams suffering embarrassing early season losses regrouping and playing better. Let's hope!

I suspect offense is mostly an OL personnel issue, which I would agree also falls on the HC. But, we too aren't void of responsibility. Especially in our NIL contributions. And in absence of those, MC may have to rely more on building in-house. Which as we all know can vary significantly.

All that said, I'll have to admit, I've never had a good vibe of the new OL coach. Mainly because all I heard off season was we were going to be more physical. I know I didn't excel in soccer because I was physically gifted. I did because I was smart. I would have loved to hear more about learning the system, studying film of opposing systems, scheming for multiple systems, etc., etc.

“We’re going to be “violent”” whatever that means. I’ve seen enough of Darrell Simmons to know that there isn’t going to be any physicality or violence there.

• Agree
Reactions: Cloneon

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
“We’re going to be “violent”” whatever that means. I’ve seen enough of Darrell Simmons to know that there isn’t going to be any physicality or violence there.
Yeah, I mean I'd love it if we had maulers, but the fact is we don't and might be a few years until we do. We needed a quicker fix. Maybe that just isn't possible in light of the NIL landscape and other financial limitations ISU has (being able to attract and pay quality assistant coaches).

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Yeah, I mean I'd love it if we had maulers, but the fact is we don't and might be a few years until we do. We needed a quicker fix. Maybe that just isn't possible in light of the NIL landscape and other financial limitations ISU has (being able to attract and pay quality assistant coaches).

I've always said if you can't block some one normally then cut block them. A couple cut blocks and they won't be coming off the line so fast.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I think we have maulers, we just have maulers that don't understand blocking schemes. I remember Simmons first game, he ragdolled several Dlinemen, but when they run stunts or he doesn't have to just block someone coming straight at him, he would do better just falling on the ground and hoping someone trips over him.

• Haha
Reactions: alabamacyclone

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I think we have maulers, we just have maulers that don't understand blocking schemes. I remember Simmons first game, he ragdolled several Dlinemen, but when they run stunts or he doesn't have to just block someone coming straight at him, he would do better just falling on the ground and hoping someone trips over him.
So we just have dumb guys on the OL? Or are the coaches too dumb to teach them?

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008

Talent was the reason for those losses then, coaching (Campbell and the offenses coaching) is the reason for the losses now.