Campustown Redevelopment

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
Welch Ave station and Thumbs are sufficient to scratch the alumni itch in my opinion. I drove on Welch the other day and seemed like there were less bars than when I was in school

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I don't think a business could survive on those relatively small numbers. You'd need to attract locals all year round and I just don't see that happening without some major changes.
You're probably right, I just think Campustown needs a facelift, but if you're limiting it to dumpy college bars, it's going to remain no better than Decorah. Honestly probably worse than Decorah.

Reactions: Haverhill

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I guess we differ in our idea of what makes a good campustown. You like locking the kids in a drunk playground where they can piss on the floors and be generally unbothered by society. I'd prefer to see nicer buildings and a few spots that have more room and cater to a mixed crowd. Being able to walk from campus to a decent bar and grill in campustown would be nice for campus visits, visiting parents, and alumni back for a game.

Even if it's just students in the play pen, campustown needs new buildings. It's a dump that is not in line with universities of our size.
I agree that campustown could always use some updating as things move out, but there are at least a half dozen or more restaurants that would be fine for lunch or dinner.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
You're probably right, I just think Campustown needs a facelift, but if you're limiting it to dumpy college bars, it's going to remain no better than Decorah. Honestly probably worse than Decorah.

It's going to take some sort of new anchor business which is why Cytown's first business is an anchor business. Smart development. I have no idea what business could be located in Campustown.

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
Since the charm of Campustown is gone, they might as well continue to build more 5-over-1s with 1st floor retail and a ton of student housing so there can at least be a dense clump of students right down there so that more establishments can succeed.

Reactions: clonechemist

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
You live in Ames, right? The crowd that is interested in this is generally people who live elsewhere and are back in Ames on a very rare basis to attend a game or campus event or whatever. The idea of occasionally reminiscing about youth, especially if meeting up with the people you shared it with, doesn't seem that weird to me. These people aren't seeing reminders of their college experience every day the way someone who lives there would.

It's a way of temporarily reconnecting with a time in people's lives that they typically view fondly. Many met their spouses or made lifelong friends in those places.

For most people it's not part of some extended pathetic attempt to remain young as much as it is an occasional sentimental return.
Plus college girls are hot. Sue me. :jimlad:

Jammin’

Jul 18, 2009
Ames-Mia-Atx
Honestly, I’ve always been surprised Sheldon Ave, on the west side of campus, by all the Engineering buildings hasn’t been more densely developed to cater towards engineering students.

Just has always seemed underdeveloped considering its location and, in my guess, probable demand for close living/walk for the engineering students.

-I’m obviously not a developer, but just glad people are talking about Campustown good or bad, right or wrong.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonsin

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
It's going to take some sort of new anchor business which is why Cytown's first business is an anchor business. Smart development. I have no idea what business could be located in Campustown.
You’d probably have to raze a significant chunk of it like old “LANE4” proposal and add parking and plaza space.

CysLoveChild

Dec 8, 2011
Ames, IA
Now I am craving Battles BBQ, R.I.P.
The Battles BBQ sauce recipe was sold and you can find it in some area Hyvees and other stores, or online and looks like they ship it as well. Sauce Slingers is the name, $10.00 per bottle and they have the Mild or Spicy. I've bought it, and can confirm it is spot on the recipe (just loses a point bc George isn't grumpily serving it to me).

• Love
Reactions: Cycsk

Lewey24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 2, 2020
Dubuque, IA
The redevelopment inevitably has an effect on the institutional character of the area. A place like Cy's Roost and Lost and Found Lounge leaned into the fact that the kids would come and go but the esthetic stayed the same. This helped Campustown maintain some of us appeal over time, and the same can be said about many other places down there, like WAS.

The redevelopment changed too much of the essence of the area and now it doesn't really appeal to the students that are there or those of us with memories of good times spent there.

Cytown has an opportunity to capitalize here.
As a student here, I promise you students don’t care about the aesthetic. They’re still going to the Welch Ave bars.

Reactions: NWICY and cytor

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
Dumpy charms are for D3 college towns.

Campustown has historically had a small town college feel in line with the university, but Iowa State is now a big university, and campustown is largely an embarrassment. Start from scratch, please.
I agree with you that campus town needs a face-lift but the university is not significantly bigger than in the past. When I attended 45 years ago the enrollment was around 25,000 compared to 30,000 now. The big difference between then and now as far as campus town is concerned is that back then 20,000 of those students were of legal drinking age.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I agree with you that campus town needs a face-lift but the university is not significantly bigger than in the past. When I attended 45 years ago the enrollment was around 25,000 compared to 30,000 now. The big difference between then and now as far as campus town is concerned is that back then 20,000 of those students were of legal drinking age.
Enrollment in 1979 was 23,486. Enrollment in 2023 is 30,177. It was 36,000+ in 2019.

That does surprise me, but enrollment isn't the only way to measure the size and feel of the university. The campus facilities have continued to evolve and be updated while Campustown maintains the look it had in the '90s, but without the quaint or individual charm that we usually see on college campuses. It's an ugly block of old buildings that you'd see any small town in Iowa with the only difference being that thousands of college students keep it in business. I'm not telling you guys anything new, I've just always thought the area was ugly.

Reactions: c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

clonechemist

Apr 3, 2007
Philadelphia
Enrollment in 1979 was 23,486. Enrollment in 2023 is 30,177. It was 36,000+ in 2019.

That does surprise me, but enrollment isn't the only way to measure the size and feel of the university. The campus facilities have continued to evolve and be updated while Campustown maintains the look it had in the '90s, but without the quaint or individual charm that we usually see on college campuses. It's an ugly block of old buildings that you'd see any small town in Iowa with the only difference being that thousands of college students keep it in business. I'm not telling you guys anything new, I've just always thought the area was ugly.

Do you have an example of a peer institution that has a much nicer campus business district? The two other campuses I know best are Rutgers and UNC. Rutgers may be even dumpier, and UNC seems nicer/more aesthetically pleasing, but it’s still primarily restaurants and bars catering to the low cost student crowd. Maybe like one slightly nicer brewpub that caters to a slightly more refined crowd.

In my opinion, most large scale redevelopment done these days has a cheap plastic look that is no more visually pleasing than Campustown.

canker2323

Oct 22, 2006
What Cheer, IA
Do you have an example of a peer institution that has a much nicer campus business district? The two other campuses I know best are Rutgers and UNC. Rutgers may be even dumpier, and UNC seems nicer/more aesthetically pleasing, but it’s still primarily restaurants and bars catering to the low cost student crowd. Maybe like one slightly nicer brewpub that caters to a slightly more refined crowd.

In my opinion, most large scale redevelopment done these days has a cheap plastic look that is no more visually pleasing than Campustown.
Iowa city and Athens, GA, off the top of my head, have much nicer campus business districts. There’s something about Ames and development that don’t mix. If something does get built it’s usually underwhelming/doesn’t age well.

• Agree
Reactions: SolarGarlic

Nor'easter

Sep 25, 2016
Iowa city and Athens, GA, off the top of my head, have much nicer campus business districts. There’s something about Ames and development that don’t mix. If something does get built it’s usually underwhelming/doesn’t age well.
Iowa City (and it looks like Athens as well) has one main central business district. Ames has two (Campustown and Downtown... and soon CyTown?) so development is split between those and other parts of the city which means both aren't as great as they could be, imo. Also I think Ames is smaller than both of the cities you mentioned.

• Agree
Reactions: clonechemist

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
There are lots of pages here and I apologize if this has been brought up. Talk to three or four of the local real estate developers and the Ames city council and related approval authorities are incredibly difficult to deal with. The expectations and requirements of new developments drive up cost and ultimately drive down what can be built and have a fair return on investment.

What real estate developer is going to have to live with Scottsdale type requirements to serve 33,000 college students? The formula doesn't work. Someone above their stated to build apartments with first floor retail. That's probably the only type of investment that will drive a return to build new.

Somebody with more information and expertise can chime in on Cytown. I am very bullish on Cytown because of who it is really serving for approximately 150 days a year of sporting events, cultural events and other related activities. They are not trying to serve 33,000 college students. CyTown's customers will be at different profile - people attending sporting events, continuing education, Research Park, and with McFarland Clinic, medical patients.

Sorry for hijacking it to the CyTown development, but I'm just trying to point out the difference even though they are less than a mile apart.

DFWClone

Aug 19, 2013
I guess I’m in the minority but as a 30 year old, that now lives in Arizona, that goes back to Ames once a year for a football game, I still love campus town. It’s fun to go back to all the gross college bars, even if I am 7-8 years older than everyone else there.

To the people saying there needs to be an “alumni friendly” option in campus town, that’s a bit nicer than fast food or a bar, I don’t necessarily disagree. I just think about how hard it is for any business, retail or food/drink, to survive in campustown and I don’t see how a place like that would last more than a couple of years.

Reactions: nrg4isu