Campustown Redevelopment

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
You live in Ames, right? The crowd that is interested in this is generally people who live elsewhere and are back in Ames on a very rare basis to attend a game or campus event or whatever. The idea of occasionally reminiscing about youth, especially if meeting up with the people you shared it with, doesn't seem that weird to me. These people aren't seeing reminders of their college experience every day the way someone who lives there would.

It's a way of temporarily reconnecting with a time in people's lives that they typically view fondly. Many met their spouses or made lifelong friends in those places.

For most people it's not part of some extended pathetic attempt to remain young as much as it is an occasional sentimental return.

People who are only in Ames a couple of times a year want businesses to be located in places that wouldn't see support most of the year.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Ok, I get that, but I also don't think it would make sense to cater more to those people that are coming back just once in a while rather than the kids that are their all the time. Obviously there's nothing that says you can't go back to Welch Ave, but yeah it may feel weird if you go there on a Friday night.

I do think there are some good local spots like the ones I mentioned that are in Campustown and are totally for everyone, but I think it makes sense that the bars are geared for 21 year olds rather than alumni.
I completely agree with you, and that's why I don't really have any problem with the current state of Campustown. I would have no problem taking my kid to supper at Cafe B for example.

But I do understand why some people feel differently and want to see something different, and I'm merely making that argument.

At the end of the day the main reason Ames' Campustown is so "dumpy" and student focused is because of the presence of a separate downtown area that's pretty nice and quite clearly geared to an older crowd.

• Agree
Reactions: cycloneG

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I don't really want to go where college kids go at this point in my life, and thinking back to when I was in college I think I preferred Campustown being a place that wasn't full of old people.

Maybe CyTown will be the happy medium between Downtown and Campustown people are looking for.

Although wanting to come back as like a 30 year old dude and hang out with a bunch of college kids is kind of weird, that part of your life has come and gone.

The redevelopment inevitably has an effect on the institutional character of the area. A place like Cy's Roost and Lost and Found Lounge leaned into the fact that the kids would come and go but the esthetic stayed the same. This helped Campustown maintain some of us appeal over time, and the same can be said about many other places down there, like WAS.

The redevelopment changed too much of the essence of the area and now it doesn't really appeal to the students that are there or those of us with memories of good times spent there.

Cytown has an opportunity to capitalize here.

Reactions: STLISU

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I can't imagine K&G (or Maverik now) is letting that spot go. That's a cash cow.

Not sure if they still do, they did own land across the street at one point and had plans for developing that in a more dense way.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
The redevelopment inevitably has an effect on the institutional character of the area. A place like Cy's Roost and Lost and Found Lounge leaned into the fact that the kids would come and go but the esthetic stayed the same. This helped Campustown maintain some of us appeal over time, and the same can be said about many other places down there, like WAS.

The redevelopment changed too much of the essence of the area and now it doesn't really appeal to the students that are there or those of us with memories of good times spent there.

Cytown would look cool with a touch of nostalgia.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
gotcha, ok that makes sense

IIRC, the main contention was that the alley behind those LW buildings wasn't big enough, so Randall wanted an entrance directly on/off LW for the bigger vehicles that allegedly couldn't fit.

I can't imagine the clusterfuck of a semi (or even a large box truck) trying to navigate such an entrance.

• Agree
Reactions: Messi

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
When I was in school decades ago there was a dumpy charm to campus town. Now that I've traveled to A TON of ISU away games, ISU has one of the worst campus town areas I've ever seen. It's wild how big ISU is and how mediocre the surrounding area is.
Dumpy charms are for D3 college towns.

Campustown has historically had a small town college feel in line with the university, but Iowa State is now a big university, and campustown is largely an embarrassment. Start from scratch, please.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Yes, there is an element of nostalgia at play. It would be nice to go back to Ames on a football weekend and check out Campustown without feeling completely out of place. Go to any other big-time college town, and it's a mix of adults and students on game days and it adds to the overall atmosphere of the city/area/campus.

Campustown is currently a craphole to anyone who isn't a student at ISU or has some emotional attachment to the place. When you cater to drunk college students with no money, you get dirty bars with horrible management.
I don't think there's any reason to feel out of place if you just want to check out Campustown, probably different if you're wanting to bar hop like you're in college again without feeling old and weird.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

I don't see CyTown catering to students or competing much with Campustown. It is more likely to compete with Downtown, Somerset, Duff, and other freestanding nicer places, like Provisions.

• Agree
Reactions: cycloneG

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I don't think there's any reason to feel out of place if you just want to check out Campustown, probably different if you're wanting to bar hop like you're in college again without feeling old and weird.
I guess we differ in our idea of what makes a good campustown. You like locking the kids in a drunk playground where they can piss on the floors and be generally unbothered by society. I'd prefer to see nicer buildings and a few spots that have more room and cater to a mixed crowd. Being able to walk from campus to a decent bar and grill in campustown would be nice for campus visits, visiting parents, and alumni back for a game.

Even if it's just students in the play pen, campustown needs new buildings. It's a dump that is not in line with universities of our size.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
I guess we differ in our idea of what makes a good campustown. You like locking the kids in a drunk playground where they can piss on the floors and be generally unbothered by society. I'd prefer to see nicer buildings and a few spots that have more room and cater to a mixed crowd. Being able to walk from campus to a decent bar and grill in campustown would be nice for campus visits, visiting parents, and alumni back for a game.

Even if it's just students in the play pen, campustown needs new buildings. It's a dump that is not in line with universities of our size.

I don't think a business could survive on those relatively small numbers. You'd need to attract locals all year round and I just don't see that happening without some major changes.