Campustown Redevelopment

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I've long believed this. Even when I was in school, I always thought it was clear how much better the bar scene was in other college towns I would visit. Even places like Brookings were much more fun with a better selection of watering holes.

I've always attributed that to the separation of the campustown and downtown in Ames.
I think you're probably right.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
When I was in school decades ago there was a dumpy charm to campus town. Now that I've traveled to A TON of ISU away games, ISU has one of the worst campus town areas I've ever seen. It's wild how big ISU is and how mediocre the surrounding area is.

Oddly enough, thats what I liked about it. I cant vouch for it now, but in the late 90s early 00's, I loved it. Its probably more my introverted sensibilities, but I liked it a lot more than Iowa City. Just too many and too crowded...that and the douches. I get why others take issue with the campus scene though.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Ames has always been a house party place rather than a bar place. I agree that campustown is actually pretty crap.

Go to Purdue or Illinois or Wisconsin and see the vast difference
Population may have a lot to do with this

Tippecanoe, Indiana: 188,717
Champaign, Illinois: 206,542
Dane, Wisconsin: 568,203
Story, Iowa; 99,673

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I've long believed this. Even when I was in school, I always thought it was clear how much better the bar scene was in other college towns I would visit. Even places like Brookings were much more fun with a better selection of watering holes.

I've always attributed that to the separation of the campustown and downtown in Ames.
The separation is a big part of it.

Stillwater has the exact same set up and I didn’t think their Campustown was any better than ours. I had a blast there, too.

• Agree
Reactions: cycloneG

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Oddly enough, thats what I liked about it. I cant vouch for it now, but in the late 90s early 00's, I loved it. Its probably more my introverted sensibilities, but I liked it a lot more than Iowa City. Just too many and too crowded...that and the douches. I get why others take issue with the campus scene though.
That was about my era as well. Neat places like Lovish, Bali Satay House, etc that just haven't been "replaced." Pre renovation Cys Roost had a lot of character.
Manhattan kind of has separate areas as well and kind of similar vibes to Ames but I don't get quite the run down feel in their campustown.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
The separation is a big part of it.

Stillwater has the exact same set up and I didn’t think their Campustown was any better than ours. I had a blast there, too.
Stillwater allowed smoking. I couldn't get over that.
I did like that there was more outdoor area there bar wise but I know their climate probably helps with that.

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
Bring back People's! That place ruled.

Is there a trademark on the People's name? I'm surprised someone hasn't called a place that just for the free nostaligia marketing. I've heard it joked about as the name for the Cy Town establishment but that seems like a solid choice since the nostaligia will resonate more for people in the tailgate lots that 19 and 20 year olds with fake IDs.

Then we can all complain on the forums that new People's doesn't live up to the old People's legacy.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
That was about my era as well. Neat places like Lovish, Bali Satay House, etc that just haven't been "replaced." Pre renovation Cys Roost had a lot of character.
Manhattan kind of has separate areas as well and kind of similar vibes to Ames but I don't get quite the run down feel in their campustown.
Manhattan's campustown is definitely cleaner and more alumni friendly than Ames. I think downtown Ames has more going on than downtown Manhattan. Their downtown was like only 2 blocks I think. Nice and clean, but small.

• Agree
Reactions: cycloneG

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Stillwater allowed smoking. I couldn't get over that.
I did like that there was more outdoor area there bar wise but I know their climate probably helps with that.
Ames' climate affords outdoor areas (plenty of them in Des Moines), I think it's more of a building construction issue. Stillwater's buildings weren't quite as old and packed together. More buildings had space to put a patio on.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Manhattan's campustown is definitely cleaner and more alumni friendly than Ames. I think downtown Ames has more going on than downtown Manhattan. Their downtown was like only 2 blocks I think. Nice and clean, but small.
What does alumni friendly mean?

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
What does alumni friendly mean?
Bars and restaurants that appeal to people over the age of say 25.

Campustown absolutely satisfied my entertainment needs at 21. There aren't many places I would take my kid out to supper there, or just not feel like a super old creep. Manhattan had at least 2-3 sports bars in their campus district (Aggieville) that I would take my kid for supper and wouldn't feel weird having beers there the night before a game.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: JP4CY and Messi

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
UNI has to battle the Hill vs Downtown thing, too....
The Hill has a few nice places to hang, but the downtown has really morphed into a bar/entertainment district. The old downtown CF used to have nice small shops and businesses with a few bars sprinkled in... now it's mostly bars and restaurants. My fave is the Blue room with the old Orange Crush sign out front. God Bless the dives!

Reactions: Big Daddy Kang

David Freshman1982

Sep 14, 2022
Mizzou has nothing in Columbia. Everything there is downtown. I kinda liked Norman though. And Lincoln was just, weird. I'd view us as middle of the pack wrt the old Big 8 schools.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
The Hill has a few nice places to hang, but the downtown has really morphed into a bar/entertainment district. The old downtown CF used to have nice small shops and businesses with a few bars sprinkled in... now it's mostly bars and restaurants. My fave is the Blue room with the old Orange Crush sign out front. God Bless the dives!
The Hill is a mostly a **** hole these days. Definitely behind Campustown.

Downtown Cedar Falls is fantastic. One of the best downtowns for a town it's size maybe anywhere. Most of the places don't feel overly collegiate and more aimed at professionals with a little money.

Reactions: hlb76

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
The Hill is a mostly a **** hole these days. Definitely behind Campustown.

Downtown Cedar Falls is fantastic. One of the best downtowns for a town it's size maybe anywhere. Most of the places don't feel overly collegiate and more aimed at professionals with a little money.
Agree. I still like the downtown dives the best... Berks, Blue Room, Toads.. Still love Sub City on the hill.

Reactions: Al_4_State

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
The Hill is dead. Two okay bars (The Octopus and Cooper's), two college bars (Social House and Sharky's) and then a bunch of tattoo shops, tobacco shops and Sub City. I don't even know if it's savable anymore.

Main is much better. Shout out Cypress Lounge and The Landmark in that dive bar vein!

Reactions: cytor

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
someone remind me why driveway not allowed here?

View attachment 127219

Pedestrian safety was the reason given. IMO that stretch of Lincoln Way is already bad enough, and adding cars turning in and out (and the lane switching to avoid this) would add even more problems. Aesthetically, adding a driveway would be really inconsistent, too.

Randall knew this going in and thought they could win the game of chicken with the city.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Pedestrian safety was the reason given. IMO that stretch of Lincoln Way is already bad enough, and adding cars turning in and out (and the lane switching to avoid this) would add even more problems. Aesthetically, adding a driveway would be really inconsistent, too.

Randall knew this going in and thought they could win the game of chicken with the city.

seems similar to this driveway which was approved and built just a 1/4 mile east

1712674095614.png

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Hotel would be nice. a Restaurant with rolled silverware

everything in campustown is fast food or bar food

Bars and restaurants that appeal to people over the age of say 25.

Campustown absolutely satisfied my entertainment needs at 21. There aren't many places I would take my kid out to supper there, or just not feel like a super old creep. Manhattan had at least 2-3 sports bars in their campus district (Aggieville) that I would take my kid for supper and wouldn't feel weird having beers there the night before a game.
I guess I don't see why that is a thing people want, to show the kids where you hung out during college? Or do you mean to go there on game nights and then walk to the game? Or I guess maybe because it's harder for places to survive only being used by college kids?

I kind of don't mind having Campustown be for college kids mostly, although Macubana ******* owns, and then the rest of the city is basically for everyone. I pretty much avoid Campustown from September until May for the most part.