Campustown Redevelopment

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I’m completely out of the loop, but any updates on the Firestation on Welch relocating? Did the relocation idea lose steam?

Also, any news on the vacant lots on Lincoln where there was a Brothers possibly going?

Fire Station relocation has been kicked down the road. They're eyeing a spot on State, across from the old middle school location.

I think the vacant stretch along LW at least has a fence up now. But still no construction.

Reactions: Jammin’

ISpyCy

Sep 17, 2011
Harlan, IA/Lincoln, NE
Superdog: Back from the Dead

As long as I had a Jimmy John's #14 in one hand and a Superdog in the other, the walk back to Freddy wasn't so bad......took a while, but it was tolerable.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Fire Station relocation has been kicked down the road. They're eyeing a spot on State, across from the old middle school location.

I think the vacant stretch along LW at least has a fence up now. But still no construction.
when/if the fire station ever moves my only hope is that location becomes a bar

could make it so cool in there

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
So... Cactus, which succeeded Fuzzy's on Lincoln Way, closed in October presumably in part due to this:

"During that the last renewal period, beginning in February 2023, through the closure of the establishment in October 2023, 15 patrons were cited for possession of alcohol under the legal age, 5 patrons were cited for on premise, two citations were issued to the manager for failing to prevent minors from consuming alcohol, and one citation was issued for a fake ID. Five of the citations were issued to two patrons for during one event. One patron was cited for minor on premise and possession of alcohol under the legal age; the other was cited for minor on premise, possession of alcohol under the legal age, and fake ID."

In the meantime, they have moved (or are moving) to 223 Welch -- above Blue Owl(?) -- and have reapplied for a liquor license renewal. Bold strategy, Cotton.

They were unanimously approved by the city council last night. Guessing there will be some additional scrutiny.

charlie_B

Mar 21, 2017
They were unanimously approved by the city council last night. Guessing there will be some additional scrutiny.
From the agenda:

"
While the Chief of Police has some reservations about their ability to keep minors from being in
possession of or consuming alcohol on premise, their performance had improved at the previous
location prior to the close and move to the new location. If the establishment is not able to follow
the plan submitted and keep minors from being in possession of or consuming alcohol or if the
Chief of Police revokes their 50/50 status for cause, the matter will be brought to the City Council
for potential further action. For these reasons, the Chief of Police recommends approval of the
license
."

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
It seems amazing at first that a CVS didn't succeed there, but since most of the dorms have ISU Dining Dollars with the UDCC Marketplace, it makes sense unfortunately. Its still just a bummer that the Champlin/People's building was demolished to make way for this new modern space.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
It seems amazing at first that a CVS didn't succeed there, but since most of the dorms have ISU Dining Dollars with the UDCC Marketplace, it makes sense unfortunately. Its still just a bummer that the Champlin/People's building was demolished to make way for this new modern space.

Turn it back into a bar, it was made for that space.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
Right? Alcohol was the only prescription I needed in my college days.
That article makes me shake my head. I made it through four years on campus as a Type I diabetic, I think the closest pharmacy was West Hy-Vee, and you had to pay to use CyRide. I think the kids will figure it out.

Edit: and we had to walk uphill to class. Both ways! And we liked it. They didn’t clear the sidewalks when it snowed, they buffed them. If we’d been going downhill we would have slid all the way to Ankeny. Whippersnappers these days…

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Yikes wonder who can even come in to take up that space...course it's always been the kiss of death there it seems like
Wasn't CVS one of the first businesses to join up when they did that initial redevelopment of that part of Welch? Seems like they've been there for quite a while. It's not like they're running through a new tenant every other year in that spot.

DFWClone

Aug 19, 2013
That article makes me shake my head. I made it through four years on campus as a Type I diabetic, I think the closest pharmacy was West Hy-Vee, and you had to pay to use CyRide. I think the kids will figure it out.

Edit: and we had to walk uphill to class. Both ways! And we liked it. They didn’t clear the sidewalks when it snowed, they buffed them. If we’d been going downhill we would have slid all the way to Ankeny. Whippersnappers these days…
I couldn’t agree more. What a stupid article. As if there’s no other place to get medicine in Ames. Give me a break.

That said, I’m pretty surprised it’s closing. I guess the 3-4 months of students being gone doesn’t help.

That entire development has severely struggled.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron