Campustown Redevelopment

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
Thanks. I checked it out. Looks like they started in La Crosse. Not crazy about chain bars but at least you know it’ll be well managed (usually) and it’s filling that spot. Could be a good spot for crossover traffic between us creepy old dudes and college kids. Kind of like how legends was when I was in school.

JSmoove

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 19, 2012
2611 Helser, Louden
Good see someting finally done with this lot. Amazing it's taken this long for something to get done. What a blight the site is now.

• Agree
Reactions: k123

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Thanks. I checked it out. Looks like they started in La Crosse. Not crazy about chain bars but at least you know it’ll be well managed (usually) and it’s filling that spot. Could be a good spot for crossover traffic between us creepy old dudes and college kids. Kind of like how legends was when I was in school.
Chain bars like Brother's are great for college towns like Ames, especially given its Campustown location. The Paddy's/Cy's/Mickey's pub experience needs a counter. And as you said, it could be a decent spot for older alums who want to check out the area but don't want to be the old guy at Paddy's.

Disclaimer: I haven't been to Campustown in at least 8 years.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
Chain bars like Brother's are great for college towns like Ames, especially given its Campustown location. The Paddy's/Cy's/Mickey's pub experience needs a counter. And as you said, it could be a decent spot for older alums who want to check out the area but don't want to be the old guy at Paddy's.

all good points. I’m all for it. Need a decent game watch spot in campustown other than WAS.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort

Nobody over 21 has ever been in the Lawrence location. They don't serve food and don't even open until 7:00pm. They are printing cash.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Nobody over 21 has ever been in the Lawrence location. They don't serve food and don't even open until 7:00pm. They are printing cash.

I've been to the Iowa City and Lincoln locations. If memory serves, they were similar to what you describe. I guess I was too optimistic in the Grill part of the name. That said, a nicer bar is desperately needed in Campustown regardless.

Reactions: Macloney

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
There's been some type of work going on in the old Smokin' Oak location for the last couple of weeks, but I haven't heard what business is going in there next.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
There's been some type of work going on in the old Smokin' Oak location for the last couple of weeks, but I haven't heard what business is going in there next.
I've also been wondering what is going in there, sign up says something like "This is your place, you name it" or something like that.

Also, anyone heard more on the Brothers development? I think the city pretty much cleared the way for it last month with a couple small zoning amendments they were waiting on. I'm hoping the current construction headwinds don't delay it. Hate to see that lot continue to sit empty.

Jammin’

Jul 18, 2009
Ames-Mia-Atx
Any updates on the Campustown fire station possibly moving? I remember hearing some growing momentum on it being moved to another location a year or so ago but haven’t heard much since.

Also, anybody got any timeline/updates on the sports bar development being built next to Cafe Beaudelaire?

Thanks!

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
Not sure if it's been posted, but they tore down the Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority house earlier this summer. Apparently it was in dire need of renovations, and it was more cost efficient to tear down and build a new one. I drove down Lynn this weekend and they have some renderings on the construction fence, and it looks pretty nice.

• Informative
Reactions: DFWClone and NWICY

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
Any updates on the Campustown fire station possibly moving? I remember hearing some growing momentum on it being moved to another location a year or so ago but haven’t heard much since.

Also, anybody got any timeline/updates on the sports bar development being built next to Cafe Beaudelaire?

Thanks!
"Campustown fire station possibly moving" has been a rumor going back to my undergrad years 20 years ago....

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
I had lunch on Welch last week. Still no activity in the vacant lot. I went to Ichiban in the former subway/flying burrito location. It’s a small dining space which gives it a lot of charm. I believe it is the son of the owners of wok and roll across the street. Check it out

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

cyclonesurveyor

Jan 26, 2009
Fort Collins, CO
Not sure if it's been posted, but they tore down the Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority house earlier this summer. Apparently it was in dire need of renovations, and it was more cost efficient to tear down and build a new one. I drove down Lynn this weekend and they have some renderings on the construction fence, and it looks pretty nice.
Wow - I would have thought that they would have the new building up by now, we surveyed the old previous building in the fall of 2018. Probably the best week of my surveyor's life up to that point!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron