Info: CF Users Browser Statistics

Hawkeye11en1

Apr 22, 2011
Colorado
Not counted at all. In all honesty, that app loses us money, which sucks. Which is why we're trying to sell sponsorship of it here over the summer months.

I would love for the app to be more user friendly. But I know that's hard. I have it downloaded but I use safari on my phone because I can quote and edit and such.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
I'm Chrome and Safari (iPad). I've got Chrome, IE, Safari, and Firefox all on my laptop because I was looking for the browser I liked best. Chrome, hands down.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Not counted at all. In all honesty, that app loses us money, which sucks. Which is why we're trying to sell sponsorship of it here over the summer months.

Thats too bad, hopefully a sponsor can be picked up for those that use it, certainly understand if it takes a bit lesser priority.

I've pretty much just been using my android browser as its missing quite a bit that'd make it more usable. Is the developer still updating the app at all? (seeing since its been 8 months since a version change)

JY07

Aug 20, 2009
DSM
Work - IE8 for work related; chrome for non-work related

Home - Chrome

I haven't used firefox in a year or so since I switched to chrome; the 2 hour lag between clicking the icon and waiting for the window to open was starting to be a bit much... that and it updating itself every other day was a little annoying as well

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
So does the CF Android app count towards the Android browser, or is it not counted at all? Most of my CF time is from the app, but when I'm home it's chrome.

Guilty of being on the app all day. So if you want to target market to KnappShack I suggest many adds for booze and places to enjoy the fairer sex. Throw in doctors to sign me up for medical marijuana and cheap flights to Clone games too. Hair replacement and concerts with aging 80's female bands wouldn't hurt.

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
So does the CF Android app count towards the Android browser, or is it not counted at all? Most of my CF time is from the app, but when I'm home it's chrome.
Guilty of being on the app all day. So if you want to target market to KnappShack I suggest many adds for booze and places to enjoy the fairer sex. Throw in doctors to sign me up for medical marijuana and cheap flights to Clone games too. Hair replacement and concerts with aging 80's female bands wouldn't hurt.

Lita Ford and Vixen!

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
Chrome or ff at home depending on what os I boot into. Dolphin browser on the droid phone everywhere else.
The cf app is great for reading the news stories, bad for using with the forums imo.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
FYI, you can fix it. You have to go into the plug in manager and disable the internal chrome flash (you'll see there are two copies running). I've been good since, but last week I was not a happy camper and was ready to switch to firefox.

How To Fix Shockwave Flash Crashes in Google Chrome - How-To Geek

Now only if MOG would be more stable... I'm almost ready to switch back to spotify.

THANK ******* GOD!

I knew I could probably find the answer by googling it, but I've always thought it was my really old crappy desktop that I'm sure is infected with multiple things over the years.

My Chrome has become unusable the past few weeks from shockwave crashing every 3 seconds, will try this when i get home.

theantiAIRBHG

May 25, 2011
Hiawatha, IA
Hi. I'm really computer dumb, (except for finding nudey lady websites) and I was just wondering if this whole "internal flash" problem with Chrome could be the reason that things like my Netflix, YouTube and flash games all run really sluggishly?

My laptop isn't the newest in the world, but it used to run these things just fine and then one day BAM, sloooowwww.

Could it be related to this Chrome browser flash thingy?

TIA for your answers, and not making (too) much fun of my ignorance!!

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
Warning: long and nerdy.

I use all, plus some notes here regarding the Cloud:

Chrome: primary browser, mega-bookmarks, like the clean interface, good with the database utility Zotero, use for CF (more so than IE or FF)

IE: currently minimal, but increasing (in general for Word on SkyDrive, not so much for CF) *

Firefox: increasing rapidly versus Chrome, best for Zotero ** (links below at bottom), which includes a standalone database just recently and with a Cloud component, no longer just a Firefox extension = might eliminate filing cabinets of material. Plus, massively improved FF interface over the last year. From my standpoint, the FF improvement is probably related to Zotero, with people otherwise more inclined to switch to Chrome (and therefore use Zotero less). Or otherwise just unhappy with FF, using it only because of this legacy extension. Both FF and Zotero folks had to know this. Using Chrome as my primary/personal use browser helps focus FF bookmarks more on work/academic stuff.

Safari: iPad, use for CF

Android: Cell phone, use for CF (not the mobile app)
Maybe about an even split for CF: Chrome, Safari, Android (but some FF and IE, probably more in the future)

*IE increasing based on new products and recent experimentation.

This is based on my own resources and needs, so others will have their own preferences.

IE is best for writing and revising Word docs on SkyDrive (Cloud). Google just came out with Google Drive, making it possibly a superior product, and I use Google Docs a lot (with the improvements now called Drive). I was inclined to use Google Drive even more when it came out last week, but I am instead going to use primarily Word for now, based on my experimentation. You can use other browsers with Word on SkyDrive, but some aspects are better integrated on IE (e.g., cut and paste).

Most important factor: the new SkyDrive app for the iPad.

What I really like about this is that it does an excellent job with pdfs (like academic papers), so all the ones I’ve stored in the SkyDrive (Cloud) for free - that I copied there for long-term backup - show up quite nicely on the iPad without adding to the iPad, for example, to iBooks. Wow! I was just putting them there for backup. Papers like this I might have in Zotero in the future (instead or in addition to). But it was like having hundreds of documents in a storage locker somewhere suddenly at my fingertips - and on a tablet, not a bulky desktop.

Plus, these are important (to me) or I wouldn’t have copied them to SkyDrive to begin with.

Similar to the pdfs, by storing Word docs in SkyDrive, your personally produced Word documents show up on your iPad automatically (again, via the iPad SkyDrive app).

My preference for using IE and Word versus Google Docs relates to both formatting, how my personally produced documents show up on the iPad via SkyDrive, and administrative tasks involved like moving documents around - moving documents from Google Drive to SkyDrive (versus simply creating them there directly). I expect that both Google and Microsoft will probably improve the formatting compatibilities, and transfer (though transferring is surprisingly easy and quick). I experimented a lot this weekend, and consider the format important: (1) to get it right to begin with, (2) since your own docs on the iPad can look professionally produced, or least adequate (similar effect to having a good website, versus crap), (3) much of this writing might never need to be printed.

This can make the iPad like a tablet of paper with my own notes, and effectively an unlimited number of pages.

For me, this isn't so much for modifying those Word documents on the iPad, but just having them at my fingertips. For students, this could mean ready access to class notes.

Again, it is like being able to view things at your fingertips on a tablet that might otherwise be filed away in a filing cabinet, far away and out of sight. And not just that, a huge amount.

Other aspects I will not get into detail (Apple’s iCloud), and as I said above, other’s experiences will vary.

It is possible though to type a document in Apple's Pages word processor on the iPad and get it to SkyDrive fairly easily (via iCloud), but like Google Drive, slightly more roundabout than doing this directly with Word. Or using Apple exclusively probably has certain advantages (and might even be superior from what I can tell). Various tradeoffs exist depending on any number of factors, including not just what hardware you use, but where you do your work, and whether you always have an internet connection. The reason I put a bunch of stuff on SkyDrive to begin with was a huge amount of free storage available through Microsoft.

Similar to Firefox and Zotero, using IE almost exclusively for Word on SkyDrive helps keep fewer bookmarks and me better focused. Of course I should probably only bookmark two, SkyDrive and CF. :)

On a final note, Google has yet to produce its Google Drive app for the iPad (or the Mac, I believe). So it will presumably want it to be comparable to or better than the SkyDrive app. If it is, I might readily start using Google Drive more for documents, in addition or instead of Word. Both offer a fair amount of free storage (but my free storage at Microsoft is huge).

Zotero

** My Firefox use is increasing a lot due to better FF interface, and FF works best with Zotero.

On Zotero, I’ve been experimenting just a little for about a year. But I am using it a ton now that they have standalone and a Cloud component (again, no longer just a Firefox extension). Many more things make sense now that didn’t two months ago. You can really tie all these things together - Cloud, filing/bookmarking web pages, documents, newspaper articles etc. - especially now that Firefox has improved. Firefox is still best for Zotero, though Chrome is also good. IE apparently will never be, as it is not open source, though you can access your Zotero Cloud database with any browser.

On the Cloud, a copy of your local database is automatically synced, so you can view your Zotero database and files from any computer with an internet connection (plus that is like a backup). Zotero as an application has always been free, and still is. With the Cloud though, once you go above a certain amount now, you have to pay for storage with Zotero. But to me it appears it may be worth it. It is very powerful, a database tool, a superior tool for both filing and retrieving information.

I’d encourage everyone to check Zotero out, even for newspaper articles, product reviews or what not, anything you might want to save. It takes awhile to learn, and I still am. But it is simple to begin, simple to use, and easier with experience.

I don't know, but possibly most would never store enough to have to pay.

IMO almost any college student should, and many others here could benefit.

https://www.zotero.org/

quick_start_guide [Zotero Documentation]

Last edited:
D

DistrictCyclone

Main advantage of chrome for me is:

Single address/search bar... changed my life.

This isn't unique to chrome: not sure about IE, but Safari and Firefox both have this functionality.

I'd be interested in seeing the <1% browsers. I'm pretty surprised that whatever crappy browser BlackBerry uses these days wasn't above 1%, even with BlackBerry's precipitous fall recently.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
IE7 at this 3000+ person company.

I work for a company that I believe was in the top 200 of the fortune 500 and right now I'm on part of the project team who is upgrading the company standard from IE 6 and Microsoft Office 2003 to IE 8 & Office 2010.

Not easy being a computer geek at a company stuck in the stone age.

Jordanj6502

Jan 9, 2010
Ames
This isn't unique to chrome: not sure about IE, but Safari and Firefox both have this functionality.

I'd be interested in seeing the <1% browsers. I'm pretty surprised that whatever crappy browser BlackBerry uses these days wasn't above 1%, even with BlackBerry's precipitous fall recently.

I assume a couple people are using non-android/iOS smart phones... Also Opera is a solid browser that never became popular. I used it for a while because of it had "speed dial" before Firefox, and Chrome didn't exist.

And I didn't read the whole thread, but for people bashinig IE, IE9 was a significant upgrade and brought it up to speed with Chrome and Firefox. I would probably use it if the interface wasn't so ugly. I currently use chrome because it has the slimmest and least obnoxious interface.

RandomFan

Aug 11, 2009
I'm an apparently rare combination of chrome on the desktop and whatever this ****** browser is on my BB Bold.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron