Chris Soules Arrested

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Parrish has filed a motion to drop charges...and he makes extremely good points. After reading the Code section, I cant say I agree, but interpretations can definitely be made in support of the motion..

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...les-attorneys-ask-dismissal-charge/308306001/

Code section... https://coolice.legis.iowa.gov/Cool...billinfo&service=IowaCode&ga=83&input=321.263

I suspect that the charge was something to hold in place until they were able or unable to charge him with OWI. I still cannot understand why he left the scene in the first place and then spent several hours refusing to cooperate with the authorities before he was arrested. There is no logical explanation for his actions. I do suspect that he will get off with no punishment for what he did.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I suspect that the charge was something to hold in place until they were able or unable to charge him with OWI. I still cannot understand why he left the scene in the first place and then spent several hours refusing to cooperate with the authorities before he was arrested. There is no logical explanation for his actions. I do suspect that he will get off with no punishment for what he did.

I disagree...in fact, what he did was very logical in terms of his own best interest if he WAS drunk.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
Amazing how the narrative changes when the details finally come out.
At first it was reported that he just took off after the accident. Now, not only did he call 911, but his defense claims he stayed at the scene even after paramedics arrived.

“A recording of a 911 phone call placed by Mr. Soules provides real-time evidence that Mr. Soules unhesitatingly identified himself and his role in the accident to dispatch and tried his utmost to resuscitate Mr. Mosher," the motion reads. "Mr. Soules described the location of the accident and communicated with dispatch for approximately 5 minutes and 45 seconds while help was en route. The evidence will further show that emergency responders arrived on the scene shortly after Mr. Soules concluded his 911 call. Mr. Soules remained on the scene with those emergency responders for several more minutes before returning to his home.”

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Might have a good case to get that charge dropped for leaving the scene. He gave them info, stayed until they arrived etc.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Might have a good case to get that charge dropped for leaving the scene. He gave them info, stayed until they arrived etc.

It all depends on how you interrupt this sentence...
Before leaving the scene of the fatal accident, each surviving driver shall leave the surviving driver's driver's license, automobile registration receipt, or other identification data at the scene of the accident.

Since the code section uses "or", and not "and" other identification data, he was not required to leave his license or registration. The question will be did him leaving the information he left to the 911 operator count as other identification data at the scene of the accident? To me, seems like something a jury should decide, and not a judge.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009

Since the code section uses "or", and not "and" other identification data, he was not required to leave his license or registration. The question will be did him leaving the information he left to the 911 operator count as other identification data at the scene of the accident? To me, seems like something a jury should decide, and not a judge.

That is unless there is already case law on this in which case I judge could decide. But my guess is if they can get other charges they might just drop this one.

Also, he left his truck at the accident which is definitely something that identified him as well.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor

Considering he left his truck there, there's a good chance he left identification data at the scene.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
That is unless there is already case law on this in which case I judge could decide. But my guess is if they can get other charges they might just drop this one.

Im pretty confident his blood test is going to come back positive for alcohol. The question will become can they prove he had consumed the alcohol prior to the accident. Will be very interesting to see if they can.

• Optimistic
Reactions: isufbcurt

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Considering he left his truck there, there's a good chance he left identification data at the scene.

Thats actually a great point. Knowing that, Id almost lean to the thought that there is no way that charge can stand...

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Im pretty confident his blood test is going to come back positive for alcohol. The question will become can they prove he had consumed the alcohol prior to the accident. Will be very interesting to see if they can.

And more specifically, was he over the legal limit at the time of the accident and did impairment have anything to do with causing the crash

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007

As I read that section, your quoted sentence is the requirement when the party has left to "seek necessary aid or to report the accident to law enforcement." As he didn't leave for that reason, that sentence wouldn't apply.

The relevant question is if he complied with subsection 1:

1. The driver of a vehicle involved in an accident resulting in
injury to or death of a person or damage to a vehicle which is driven
or attended by a person shall give the driver's name, address, and
the registration number of the vehicle the driver is driving and
shall upon request and if available exhibit the driver's driver's
license to the person struck, the driver or occupant of, or the
person attending the vehicle involved in the accident and shall
render to a person injured in the accident reasonable assistance,
including the transporting or arranging for the transporting of the
person for medical treatment if it is apparent that medical treatment
is necessary or if transportation for medical treatment is requested
by the injured person.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

Hopefully

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
As I read that section, your quoted sentence is the requirement when the party has left to "seek necessary aid or to report the accident to law enforcement." As he didn't leave for that reason, that sentence wouldn't apply.

The relevant question is if he complied with subsection 1:

1. The driver of a vehicle involved in an accident resulting in
injury to or death of a person or damage to a vehicle which is driven
or attended by a person shall give the driver's name, address, and
the registration number of the vehicle the driver is driving and
shall upon request and if available exhibit the driver's driver's
license to the person struck, the driver or occupant of, or the
person attending the vehicle involved in the accident and shall
render to a person injured in the accident reasonable assistance,
including the transporting or arranging for the transporting of the
person for medical treatment if it is apparent that medical treatment
is necessary
or if transportation for medical treatment is requested
by the injured person.

Called 911 and stayed until the responders got there. Does it say anywhere that he has to stick around for law enforcement to show up?

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

Cue the "I was upset after I left the scene and had some drinks to calm down" defense.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
Yep. Unless they have somebody who saw him consume x number of drinks at y time, would be hard to prove he was over the limit.

You don't need to prove he was over any limit to show intoxication. You would need to show he was "under the influence of an alcoholic beverage"

IC 321J.2

1. A person commits the offense of operating while intoxicated if
the person operates a motor vehicle in this state in any of the
following conditions:
a. While under the influence of an alcoholic beverage or
other drug or a combination of such substances.
b. While having an alcohol concentration of .08 or more.
c. While any amount of a controlled substance is present in
the person, as measured in the person's blood or urine.

neiacy

Apr 11, 2006
Alfredo Parrish represented Pierre Pierce.

My friend, who is lawyer says he's known as "The Prince of Darkness!"

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Alfredo Parrish represented Pierre Pierce.

My friend, who is lawyer says he's known as "The Prince of Darkness!"

People keep bringing this up like its a judgment to his character. Correct me if Im wrong, but Lawyers are not able to deny their services?

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
People keep bringing this up like its a judgment to his character. Correct me if Im wrong, but Lawyers are not able to deny their services?

I'm pretty sure they can deny their services. Public Defenders can't but a private Attorney can.