Christy Johnson-Lynch signs extension

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
I would have no idea who ISU could go out and get if the job was open. If you get a young gun they would not likely stay so this for me is a good move. Having said that she does need to take another step forward from past years. They have to do anything and everything to keep Nayeli Gonzalez. They need two more of her. We have a better than average setter in Brandt. If Stonestreet can stay healthy we are solid at libero.

Last edited:

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
She's a great coach. ISU volleyball would be nowhere without her. The losses recently to "worse" teams in the NCAA tournament have been annoying. As well as the head-scratchers against good and bad teams, usually in the second game of a back-to-back.

The program will never be able to improve significantly without an investment in volleyball facilities, regardless of coach.

BirdOfWar

May 3, 2010
Central Iowa
She's a great coach. ISU volleyball would be nowhere without her. The losses recently to "worse" teams in the NCAA tournament have been annoying. As well as the head-scratchers against good and bad teams, usually in the second game of a back-to-back.

The program will never be able to improve significantly without an investment in volleyball facilities, regardless of coach.

Isn't the current tennis facility being converted to volleyball once the new tennis facility is completed?

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
Just my opinion but I don't think we are losing recruits purely because of the new crackerjack box venues. They are all tiny so that they look full. KU hold less than our High School gym. If we do go that route it better seat 3000 at least because that was our average attendance in 2022. I could be wrong but having a daughter that went through it. No facility was out shining the coach, the style and the players that she considered playing for.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Just my opinion but I don't think we are losing recruits purely because of the new crackerjack box venues. They are all tiny so that they look full. KU hold less than our High School gym. If we do go that route it better seat 3000 at least because that was our average attendance in 2022. I could be wrong but having a daughter that went through it. No facility was out shining the coach, the style and the players that she considered playing for.
I would say they would want it to be around 5-6k. If you are going to do Olympic, you are probably wrestling the non major duals in there. Wrestling now pulls around 3k outside of the Iowa and a couple others.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
We had a future HOF coach from 1981-1984 Mary (Fischl) Wise when she was 21 years old. Done ok at Florida :)

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
A new smaller VB venue would certainly enhance the program IMO especially given the success of surrounding programs with them and the high quality in-state recruits that are ending up with some of these programs (KSU, KU, Creighton, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Marquette, Illinois).

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Death
Taxes
Bringing back baseball
Starting hockey
Building a VB venue

riceville98

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Iowa

I believe Jamie has agreed to make that investment in the coming years.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015

Trust me when I say it's the perfect size for the sport and the school.

Where would you rather play? A big venue that feels sparsely filled, or a cozier venue that sells out, holds the crowd noise, and makes you feel like you have a home court advantage? The Horesji routinely sells out and as someone who has gone to a few games it's perfect. Nothing extravagant but something that is exactly what it should be.

If anything, every program, depending on the success and following, should follow this model. If things expand and you can actually sell 10-15k in tickets? Put it in your arena.