Christy Johnson-Lynch signs extension

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Out of curiosity, do those definitions apply to basketball too?

I have slightly higher standards for both mbb and wbb I sort of expect them to make the tourney every yr as long as they are not real young/have a bunch of turnover.
With what TJ has shown yeah qualify for the tourney should be a goal.
Wbb this yr with them being young I was hoping for a .500 season now I hope they make the tourney but won't be disappointed if they don't.
VB is the next level down for me to be honest, support the team hope they do well make a game or 2 a yr. Went to the Cities the yr they made the sweet 16. Another close but no cigar experience for ISU athletics. Good trip and it was awesome that Jamie sent the pep band they really added to the atmosphere.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
And gymnastics.
Possibly, although I think Gymnastics takes up a lot more floor space, like the entire Hilton floor with the lowers pushed in. So may require more space than this type of facility. Although I am sure there would be a way to do it.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Possibly, although I think Gymnastics takes up a lot more floor space, like the entire Hilton floor with the lowers pushed in. So may require more space than this type of facility. Although I am sure there would be a way to do it.
Looks like Beauty and the Beast requires removal of one set of end bleachers and one side of arena circle seats, but regular gymnastics does not, at least for a dual. For a gymnastics competition with four teams, you need to make sure you have areas for all four teams to congregate.

Regular dual layout, per ticketmaster:
Screenshot 2024-02-08 104301.png

Beauty and the Beast layout, per cyclones.com:

2023_Beauty_and_the_Beast_seating.c_2x.png

• Informative
Reactions: 2speedy1

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
I have slightly higher standards for both mbb and wbb I sort of expect them to make the tourney every yr as long as they are not real young/have a bunch of turnover.
With what TJ has shown yeah qualify for the tourney should be a goal.
Wbb this yr with them being young I was hoping for a .500 season now I hope they make the tourney but won't be disappointed if they don't.
VB is the next level down for me to be honest, support the team hope they do well make a game or 2 a yr. Went to the Cities the yr they made the sweet 16. Another close but no cigar experience for ISU athletics. Good trip and it was awesome that Jamie sent the pep band they really added to the atmosphere.
At the height of ISU VB success under CJL, there could be a legit argument made that VB was the best chance for ISU to win a team national title (wrestling, T&F & CC don't count). Since that time, those odds have changed for a variety of reasons but one of those factors is the investment made by other programs in the Upper MW and elsewhere in the B12 to renovate or build smaller VB venues that have an exceedingly better environment for both fans and the athletes. This has negatively impacted the upside of ISU VB as they continue to play in Hilton. If ISU would construct such a facility, I think those national title odds would significantly revert back upward.

• Creative
Reactions: ISUalways

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Just keep doubling down on the "correlation definitely means causation" argument.

• Winner
Reactions: pulse

riceville98

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Iowa
Building a VB venue is far more relevant and doable than bringing back baseball and starting hockey. Definitely a ceiling on VB program progress without one.
with the Dartmouth court ruling and unions be able to exist, schools will be cutting sports, not bringing them back!

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: mwwbbfan and Lineup

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Looks like Beauty and the Beast requires removal of one set of end bleachers and one side of arena circle seats, but regular gymnastics does not, at least for a dual. For a gymnastics competition with four teams, you need to make sure you have areas for all four teams to congregate.

View attachment 123559

View attachment 123560
If I were betting, Beauty and the Beast is probably done based on comments from people familiar with both sports involved.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014

View attachment 123559

View attachment 123560
Interesting I never did a lot of research on it, but always thought it looked like it took more space. Might be they do the layout different at times. I have never been in person, only seen on tv and looked like it was larger.

So they could make it work and of course for an event like Beauty and the Beast could still be hosted at Hilton as needed.

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
The main problem that I see is Cyclone fans aren't producing 6' 5" girls that can jump! C'mon and get off your butts and reproduce! ;)

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014

View attachment 123559

View attachment 123560
Basically we could build a similar facility that Baylor just did for BBall. That facility only holds 7500, Would be about perfect for us in VB, Wrestling, Gymnastics. etc. Problem is that cost more than $200 million to build, I dont see ISU spending that much on something like that, at least not in foreseeable future.

1707415537143.png

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
The main problem that I see is Cyclone fans aren't producing 6' 5" girls that can jump! C'mon and get off your butts and reproduce! ;)
Daniyal Robinson was a long time ISU Men's Basketball assistant coach while his daughter was in high school. Devyn was a HS All-American and went to Wisconsin over ISU.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
Our HS team went to WI camp every year. Kelly S is an amazing coach and the Badger are rabid VB supporters. I would chose them over ISU if given a choice.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Basically we could build a similar facility that Baylor just did for BBall. That facility only holds 7500, Would be about perfect for us in VB, Wrestling, Gymnastics. etc. Problem is that cost more than $200 million to build, I dont see ISU spending that much on something like that, at least not in foreseeable future.
A new ISU VB facility would likely be similar to those at KSU, KU and Ohio St and not like Foster Pavilion and all of its amenities including donor lounges, etc. The capacity doesn't need to exceed 5K. And as previously posted, funding for it could be achieved via a partnership with another entity who would also utilize it for various youth club sporting events and camps.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
A new ISU VB facility would likely be similar to those at KSU, KU and Ohio St and not like Foster Pavilion and all of its amenities including donor lounges, etc. The capacity doesn't need to exceed 5K. And as previously posted, funding for it could be achieved via a partnership with another entity who would also utilize it for various youth club sporting events and camps.

While I agree, it doesnt need to be as big or as extravagant as Foster Pavilion at Baylor, My feeling is it would have to be a bit larger possibly than the ones listed here. Just for the reason of being used for multiple sports.

I am curious what the attendance numbers are for ISU VB, Wrestling, and Gymnastics. I am sure someone here hast those numbers.

I was thinking of about 5k seat venue, give or take, so yeah not as big as Foster, but maybe a bit bigger than the above.

I guess the other question is, do you build it near the Practice facilities for Wrestling and VB or near CyTown. And can you do it for the price of the above facilities, Aprx $25M, I think if CyTown is a success we could see a facility like this. I believe in the initial renderings of CyTown they had facilities like this North and South of the Alumni Center, but not sure exactly what they were planned for.

I think this could also be added as additional convention and event space for the Iowa State Center, which I think was part of the idea for the entire project, with plans for a hotel, and more convention space along with CyTown, to bring back more of that business to the area.

With all of that It is probably a bit more plausible than I initially thought, although I think it is behind some other projects, including Hilton Reno, Stephens maintenance, practice facilities for Tennis, VB and Wrestling etc.

Edit: the numbers I am seeing for attendance:

VB - 2000-2500 average
Wrestling 5000-5500 average
Gym - about 2000, but this data is over 10+ years old, so may be dif for Gymn

Last edited:

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
I think this could also be added as additional convention and event space for the Iowa State Center, which I think was part of the idea for the entire project, with plans for a hotel, and more convention space along with CyTown, to bring back more of that business to the area.
This is what I previously posted in another thread. The venue could be situated within a large exhibit hall as part of the proposed CyTown Hotel/Convention Center project near Hilton. You could have pull out bleachers on one side and the other side would have permanent seating with access to a hotel bar/lounge/food court at the top of that seating. You would have access to Hilton Locker Rooms before and after matches with meeting room access for each team during match intermission. The Hall would also serve as convention/exhibit space.

Reactions: 2speedy1

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
What was VB attendance during the elite 8 runs? Equal to or slightly less should be the seating capacity.IMO.