Christy Johnson-Lynch signs extension

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA
I was more speaking of a new facility to play in rather than practice.

I will be very surprised to see much new capital projects until the SA compensation issue is resolved. The tennis and volleyball upgrades kind of made sense since the tennis was a sort of shared facility and volleyball a renovation. The wrestling was kind of a shocker with a $20 million price tag, especially considering the size of the facility and that wrestling does not generate a ton of revenue.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I will be very surprised to see much new capital projects until the SA compensation issue is resolved. The tennis and volleyball upgrades kind of made sense since the tennis was a sort of shared facility and volleyball a renovation. The wrestling was kind of a shocker with a $20 million price tag, especially considering the size of the facility and that wrestling does not generate a ton of revenue.
How much of that 20MM is from private for wrestling? Hearing how much they raised for the RTC and their NIL, it is pretty impressive.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
Totally agree, and it's understandable. I'm just of the state of mind that we won't be a team that gets back to the elite eight until those facilities are built.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Trust me when I say it's the perfect size for the sport and the school.

Where would you rather play? A big venue that feels sparsely filled, or a cozier venue that sells out, holds the crowd noise, and makes you feel like you have a home court advantage? The Horesji routinely sells out and as someone who has gone to a few games it's perfect. Nothing extravagant but something that is exactly what it should be.

If anything, every program, depending on the success and following, should follow this model. If things expand and you can actually sell 10-15k in tickets? Put it in your arena.
My guess if it ever is built it would be about a 5Kish seat venue, and would not be just for VB, but probably Wrestling too at least. This would at least make it more feasible.

I would think it would need to be build in the vicinity of CyTown. Which would probably take up more parking space. Think A4 or something.

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA
How much of that 20MM is from private for wrestling? Hearing how much they raised for the RTC and their NIL, it is pretty impressive.

The article I saw said it was funded by the athletic department but would seek donations but did not specify if any had been pledged. I have been in that facility for AAU basketball and just felt it was way overkill for a wrestling practice facility. The facility is HUGE!

Cyclone Pfan

Dec 7, 2022
My guess if it ever is built it would be about a 5Kish seat venue, and would not be just for VB, but probably Wrestling too at least. This would at least make it more feasible.

I would think it would need to be build in the vicinity of CyTown. Which would probably take up more parking space. Think A4 or something.
I'm sure this has been talked about before, but isn't there any momentum to re-repurpose the Armory for Olympic events? I know the parking probably isn't there to support it, but I think that would be a classic, appropriately sized venue. Last I think I heard, it was marked for demolition?

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Trust me when I say it's the perfect size for the sport and the school.

Where would you rather play? A big venue that feels sparsely filled, or a cozier venue that sells out, holds the crowd noise, and makes you feel like you have a home court advantage? The Horesji routinely sells out and as someone who has gone to a few games it's perfect. Nothing extravagant but something that is exactly what it should be.

If anything, every program, depending on the success and following, should follow this model. If things expand and you can actually sell 10-15k in tickets? Put it in your arena.

Depends on the record of success and susceptibility to hype.

1707353241835.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: ZRF

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
I'm sure this has been talked about before, but isn't there any momentum to re-repurpose the Armory for Olympic events? I know the parking probably isn't there to support it, but I think that would be a classic, appropriately sized venue. Last I think I heard, it was marked for demolition?
Yeah, in the Facilities Strategic Plan approved in 2022, it was marked for demolition (couldn't find the official ISU document, but here's a page from the company that helped with the plan).

I love the Armory, but if it were re-repurposed, the main issue wouldn't be parking, the issue would be the amount of money that would needed for repairs and renovation to make it sufficient for events, and that's before we even talk about making it above average or high quality. Despite any renovations, it would also still be a 100+ year old building that hasn't been maintained like it probably should have been and probably has a limited timeline because of that fact.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Death
Taxes
Bringing back baseball
Starting hockey
Building a VB venue
Building a VB venue is far more relevant and doable than bringing back baseball and starting hockey. Definitely a ceiling on VB program progress without one.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
That horse has been dead for awhile, yet here we are.
...as was the VB practice facility and here we are.

A new ISU VB competition venue that can also be used year round for club VB, BB, wrestling, etc. and ISU sports camps seems like a natural partnership initiative that could be done in similar fashion to what is being done for the ISU tennis competition venue. Was hoping it could be a center piece to bring year round traffic to CyTown but it doesn't appear to be in the cards as of now.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Building a VB venue is far more relevant and doable than bringing back baseball and starting hockey. Definitely a ceiling on VB program progress without one.
To be fair I believe there is a ceiling on our VB program similar to WBB. With what we have it is easy to be good and occasionally really good, but it's just not worth the investment to spend more than we do with the way things currently are. Just my opinion.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
To be fair I believe there is a ceiling on our VB program similar to WBB. With what we have it is easy to be good and occasionally really good, but it's just not worth the investment to spend more than we do with the way things currently are. Just my opinion.
What is your definition of good and really good?

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
Agree, it’s not like there’s a small sample size. She’s been the coach for 20 years. No matter the facility, the results will probably stay within what they have in the past. Not a complaint.