Coaching Search: Place your bets

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
I know there are some saying he’d be garbage and you are right, they don’t know that.

But it is absolutely fair to say that TJ isn’t some great and inspired choice.
Who is that we can afford?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Once again, would TJ even be mentioned without ISU ties? Then why are we bothering? And complaining about Smith? Really? Did you watch last night's game? Tied at half, win by 20. Coaching.

We can play pretend games all day if you want to.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Let's just say TJ comes here, retains the "key" pieces, and brings in Kaluma (and probably Caleb Grill).

1. #34 Player in the Nation, 4 star FR Tyrese Hunter - 6'1"
2. Back-to-back All-Conference SR Rasir Bolton - 6'3"
3. 3rd in scoring at Ole Miss, JR Blake Hinson - 6'7"
4. #42 Player in the Nation, 4 star FR Arthur Kaluma - 6'8"
5. 4 star RS FR Xavier Foster - 7'0"

Bench: Johnson, Jackson, Grill, Walker, Nunn, Blackwell, Dubar, Conditt, Harris

I know that's 14 players which is one too many, but you have to assume there will be at least a player or two who are not part of the program next year. I will not be speculating at all on who that may be.
If that were to happen, my opinion of TJ would definitely change. He would have to hold some kind of charismatic aura over people, such that they would want to follow him as coach more than the particular school. It would be a great positive. TJ is a very dedicated, hard working (from what I've read) coach and I think he would be open to adapting his coaching style to what works best.

I do not think this will happen though. My guess is Kaluma will either stay at UNLV or open his recruitment to a different school. We are also likely to get a couple, a few, or maybe more, current players and/recruits that decide they want to go elsewhere. That's definitely if Prohm stays (not happening) but also highly likely if he leaves.

Having an incoming coach, whoever it winds up being, that can hold on to desired players, who can also recruit well, has an identity, and be a coach players want to play for, run thru a wall for...now that would also be exciting for us fans!

I think fans could get on board very quickly to that kind of coach.

• Winner
Reactions: Statefan10

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
If that were to happen, my opinion of TJ would definitely change. He would have to hold some kind of charismatic aura over people, such that they would want to follow him as coach more than the particular school. It would be a great positive. TJ is a very dedicated, hard working (from what I've read) coach and I think he would be open to adapting his coaching style to what works best.

I do not think this will happen though. My guess is Kaluma will either stay at UNLV or open his recruitment to a different school. We are also likely to get a couple, a few, or maybe more, current players and/recruits that decide they want to go elsewhere. That's definitely if Prohm stays (not happening) but also highly likely if he leaves.

Having an incoming coach, whoever it winds up being, that can hold on to desired players, who can also recruit well, has an identity, and be a coach players want to play for, run thru a wall for...now that would also be exciting for us fans!

I think fans could get on board very quickly to that kind of coach.
The return of lineup threads would be a nice change

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
C'mon Jers. Off the court conduct, especially when it bleeds over into attitude towards practices and other team functions? If you're going to b!tch about player not being held accountable during the games for taking bad shots, etc., it's only consistent to want them to be held accountable for what happens off the court as well, right?
No accountability, no tests, no rules. Now we're making progress!

:jimlad:

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Who do you WANT to hire? Jeff Hornacek or Darian DeVries (Mike Brey or Archie Miller if they become available)
Who do you think we WILL hire? TJ
Who do you definitely NOT want to hire? An assistant or mid major coach
So you're trying to get back on topic?

I see what you did!

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I live In Lincoln. Even though NE has a horrible record, the city paper has all kind of coverage with pictures every week. The NE women are doing much better with very little newspaper coverage. Hoiberg has a lot of support with fans thinking much better days are ahead and maybe they are. But Fred has really changed as a coach. Frequently he gets angry on the sidelines and reams his players when he takes them out and even throws things. I don't remember him being like that at Iowa State. I think at this point I think we're better off without him.
Probably true, and we're not getting him anyway, so moot point. Thanks for the insight though. :)

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
Caleb just doesn't look fluid or aggressive with his shot. I've seen four UNLV games and he had only one good half. The talent is there to be a long range off guard shooter, but it must be confidence thing.

Will take grille some time to recover ...he still has ptsd from Prohm trying to ruin him and destroying his confidence

Tom Buch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 23, 2020
Everyone - please stop with the Archie Miller nonsense. It is clear from anyone advocating him that they have not watched ANY Indiana hoops over the past 4 years, and are simply looking at his Dayton record. He has arguably done less with more than even Prohm.
Jeff H is not moving back to Iowa, he’s a bug city boy now.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Make the best choice for the health of Cyclone basketball. Don't be shortsighted thinking you have to hire a coach because he might bring a player you like along with him.

We got Prohm in part because he was a coach with head coaching experience (to satisfy the university president) that would permit the existing team to operate under the previous system (something the returning team wanted.)

That only worked out for a little while.

Thats a good take imho. CSP was a highly paid babysitter.
In hindsight, would have been better off if they had let Naz be a player coach, saved the babysitter salary for later.

Reactions: Nococy and Die4Cy

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Make the best choice for the health of Cyclone basketball. Don't be shortsighted thinking you have to hire a coach because he might bring a player you like along with him.

We got Prohm in part because he was a coach with head coaching experience (to satisfy the university president) that would permit the existing team to operate under the previous system (something the returning team wanted.)

That only worked out for a little while.

In hindsight, I feel like this was overblown. A good coach could've adjusted to the players Fred left. Were we really at risk of a mass player defection if Underwood were coach? You can be a demanding coach without being a complete *******.

Reactions: CycloneErik