COLUMN: A massive analysis on the MBB roster following opener

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
For the most part a good game for the guys. TL looked very sharp, and had a few nice passes. Defense in general was good, but this team still gives up a lot of wide open 3s from the corners. Omaha was just trying too hard to be physical out there and the refs were having none of it last night. He will probably do a lot better in the Big 12 games where they let guys beat on each other. Several of the new guys impressed with their shooting and handles. This has the chance to be a very good team.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Is it too early to ask why people seem to be making general statements based off of one game like this is how the whole season will go?

helechopper

Loyal Son Forever True
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2006
Chicago
Additionally nobody on the team has a greater impact without the stats than Ward. The dude is all over the place defensively, blocking shots, altering shots, altering passes etc. Looking at the box score his stats look weak but when you watch him play you see how much he disrupts.

I think this comment is really smart and shouldn't be overlooked.

I saw the same thing from Ward. I remember a sequence where Ward blocked a shot and stole the ball back-to-back. That's glue type stuff, that's winning basketball.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa

I saw the same thing from Ward. I remember a sequence where Ward blocked a shot and stole the ball back-to-back. That's glue type stuff, that's winning basketball.
Ward just looks like a guy that is super athletic, but never really played basketball before. Love the hustle. Maybe he will surprise me and score 12 in the next game.

• Agree
Reactions: helechopper

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
Good question. Both wins were similar on the floor. This year's team is younger, so you would expect a lesser performance for a first game. This year's team also has more depth, which is good, but it also means more moving parts and things to figure out for a first game. No one hit 30 minutes in the game last night.

I think this is a great point. Younger team = higher ceiling. Also the fact that we were rotating guys a lot more last night, likely trying to figure out the chemistry of the team in a live game atmosphere. Whereas last year's IUPUI game was pretty much our guys firing on all cylinders right from the beginning.

This makes me feel a little better about the results and conference play next year. :)

hoosman

Sep 4, 2006
Davenport
Exceeding expectations rankings. I missed the first few minutes.
1. Gilbert. Good hustle, offense, defense. Seemed like the go-to guy/alpha dog.
2. King. Seemed very comfortable fighting in the trenches.
3. Tamin. Very low key, but efficient. Good decisions.
4. Milan. great 3 point shooting. not sure if he can move well to defend and create shots.
5. Ward. Not spectacular, but solid.
6. Watson. Has high upside. Can rotate and play multiple roles. 6th man .
7. Rob. made some tough shots. missed some easy free throws.
8. CuJo. Mediocre game.
9. Pav. Seemed like he had rudimentary skills passing, dribbling, shooting, but low confidence.
10. Fish. Seemed like Niang in year 1. Needs to work hard to make an impact.
11. Omaha. Underachieved IMO. Discombobulated. Bigs take a while to adapt.

Last edited:

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015

You could really see the potential at the end of last year. He had one game where he was cleaning up the o glass and playing helacious help defense. He just needs to play smart and keep himself out of foul trouble.

Ward is probably one of the clearest cases where you shouldn't look at the box score to judge his play. He factors in to a lot of missed shots, even when he doesn't get a block, and those types of things aren't counted toward his stats, even if they matter immensely.

• Agree
Reactions: helechopper

NENick

Feb 14, 2017
It's awesome to see the multiple ball handlers, scoring options and ways of creating offense, the depth, the defensive versatility, the length and athleticism.

And yet at some point nothing will be working, things will be breaking down, and Tamin will take control. He's the glue and doesn't seem to mind allowing others to shine, but he'll be there.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I wasn't paying too close of attention to foul situation since we got such an early lead and it was mostly no factor, so I was caught unawares when Omaha got his 3rd foul. Hadn't noticed. Hopefully that was a product of going hard but not quite being in the flow yet. It'll be exciting to see how he develops.

Mommy's outside stroke looks so effortless. Gilbert is a bucket-getter. Having those two elements alone is gonna help a LOT. Also, the 3-headed beast at the "4/5" should augment nicely.
Probably should come up with another nickname for Milan.
Lol ok, I didn't know if that was a typo or intentional! I can't really say there is another nickname that preferably works for him at the moment.
I'm not sure Milan has a good nickname yet. I believe he is largely going to be known in Ames and Iowa State as Milan. And that's as good a name as any!

• Agree
Reactions: NENick

tomar1

Aug 16, 2008
Exceeding expectations rankings. I missed the first few minutes.
1. Gilbert. Good hustle, offense, defense. Seemed like the go-to guy/alpha dog.
2. King. Seemed very comfortable fighting in the trenches.
3. Tamin. Very low key, but efficient. Good decisions.
4. Milan. great 3 point shooting. not sure if he can move well to defend and create shots.
5. Ward. Not spectacular, but solid.
6. Watson. Has high upside. Can rotate and play multiple roles. 6th man .
7. Rob. made some tough shots. missed some easy free throws.
8. CuJo. Mediocre game.
9. Pav. Seemed like he had rudimentary skills passing, dribbling, shooting, but low confidence.
10. Fish. Seemed like Niang in year 1. Needs to work hard to make an impact.
11. Omaha. Underachieved IMO. Discombobulated. Bigs take a while to adapt.
Milan will be fine creating his own shot. Haven’t seen his fall away jump shot from the inside the paint yet but we will!