COLUMN: The Big 12 finally feels like a functional family

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
About the ony thing from that push in the 70s that stuck in the U.S. and sounds "normal" is the liter pop bottle. A liter of pop doesn't sound odd at all to me.

Glad you mentioned the Brits converted in 1965. I've been reading some British books from around WW II era that were using the *imperial* mile measurements, and I wondered when they made the flip. Never looked it up because I knew that the knowledge would dropped in the CF Knowledge base some time! :)

Personally, I don't mind either way. I like our *imperial* measuremnts that we use, but I don't trip out when metric is used either. It's easy enough to convert most of the time (kilos instead of miles, meters instead of yards, etc.). However, like you, I do prefer Farenheit to Celsius, but I can think in C terms if I have to do so when I travel. 40 is hot, 30 is nice, 20 is cold and 0 is ice!

*Edited from standard to imperial*

I know you're in Alabama, but 30 C is not nice. That's hot! 20 C is nice

• Haha
Reactions: AlaCyclone

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Does Iowa State win the New Big 12 before Oklahoma wins the 16-team SEC?
Will be curious how OU football does this year. The half empty scenario might be equally possible:

Does OU's transition to the SEC mirror Nebraska's move to the Big10? A decade of mediocrity.

Reactions: BigCyFan

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
About the ony thing from that push in the 70s that stuck in the U.S. and sounds "normal" is the liter pop bottle. A liter of pop doesn't sound odd at all to me.
super-troopers.gif

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Will be curious how OU football does this year. The half empty scenario might be equally possible:

Does OU's transition to the SEC mirror Nebraska's move to the Big10? A decade of mediocrity.

Nebraska's going on two decades of mediocrity and the B1G has nothing to do with it other than I guess recruiting but I believe that was already happening.

They had good seasons with Pelini at the end of their time in the Big 12 and first three-four years of the B1G but otherwise they've been pretty bad or average with bad coaches over the last twentyish years.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006

I think the difference is that OU has shown an ability to have elite recruiting year over year in the Big 12, I would only expect that to remain the same at absolute minimum (likely improve). Now, it will also be exponentially harder to win the conference with Bama, Georgia, A&M, Texas, etc all with more resources and better recruiting.

Nebraska was always more of a development program and making such a drastic difference in recruiting territory basically chopped off both legs.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Nebraska's going on two decades of mediocrity and the B1G has nothing to do with it other than I guess recruiting but I believe that was already happening.

They had good seasons with Pelini at the end of their time in the Big 12 and first three-four years of the B1G but otherwise they've been pretty bad with bad coaches over the last two years.

I think Nebraska's recruiting has been fine. It's been a combo of some bad hires and irrational expectations from fans/admin that don't realize the advantages that made them a national power are long gone.

Rhule is a good coach, but his ceiling may not be that much higher than what Pelini accomplished. If N fans can learn to accept their new place and give him enough leeway he can get them back to some consistent winning.

• Agree
Reactions: Sigmapolis

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I think the difference is that OU has shown an ability to have elite recruiting year over year in the Big 12, I would only expect that to remain the same at absolute minimum (likely improve). Now, it will also be exponentially harder to win the conference with Bama, Georgia, A&M, Texas, etc all with more resources and better recruiting.

Nebraska was always more of a development program and making such a drastic difference in recruiting territory basically chopped off both legs.

I'm not sold on OU maintaining for the reasons you listed. But they're also losing a MASSIVE part of their identity by leaving after so many years being royalty in the Big 12/8. Even more so than Nebraska IMO.

They'll still have winning seasons, but their ceiling will be lower than the conference champions/CFP contender status they had in the Big 12.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I'm not sold on OU maintaining for the reasons you listed. But they're also losing a MASSIVE part of their identity by leaving after so many years being royalty in the Big 12/8. Even more so than Nebraska IMO.

They'll still have winning seasons, but their ceiling will be lower than the conference champions/CFP contender status they had in the Big 12.
Agree on a likely lower ceiling for the reasons in my post above. I think there are just so many players that want to play in the SEC and Oklahoma has done great getting talent to play in what was already perceived as a third-place conference. Little of that was due to their tradition or rivalries in the league.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I think Nebraska's recruiting has been fine. It's been a combo of some bad hires and irrational expectations from fans/admin that don't realize the advantages that made them a national power are long gone.

Rhule is a good coach, but his ceiling may not be that much higher than what Pelini accomplished. If N fans can learn to accept their new place and give him enough leeway he can get them back to some consistent winning.

If Rhule gets them back to 9ish wins a year, they'll be stupid to get rid of him.

It will always be a wonder in the backburner of how things would have gone keeping Solich around. Granted he'd be done by now but his last season (2003) they were pretty good. Callahan did OK but got absolutely clowned a few times to the delight of pretty much everybody.

The 'well once they got to the B1G they couldn't compete' narrative just fluffs the B1G 'prestige' further and is largely wrong.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
If Rhule gets them back to 9ish wins a year, they'll be stupid to get rid of him.

It will always be a wonder in the backburner of how things would have gone keeping Solich around. Granted he'd be done by now but his last season (2003) they were pretty good. Callahan did OK but got absolutely clowned a few times to the delight of pretty much everybody.

The 'well once they got to the B1G they couldn't compete' narrative just fluffs the B1G 'prestige' further and is largely wrong.

From what I recall, the '02 season was the first real stinker for N in a while. In '03 he shook things up (brought on Pelini at DC for example) and seemed to be turning it around.

They had a good season, but their losses weren't particularly close, which may have been the justification they needed to can him because "wE'rE nEbRaSkA!!!"

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
From what I recall, the '02 season was the first real stinker for N in a while. In '03 he shook things up (brought on Pelini at DC for example) and seemed to be turning it around.

They had a good season, but their losses weren't particularly close, which may have been the justification they needed to can him because "wE'rE nEbRaSkA!!!"

Yep. I remember when Callahan came in, the home crowd cheered because they came out in a spread formation. Then the Kansas game in 2007 happened.

It's almost as good as the '01 CU game. Almost.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque

They had good seasons with Pelini at the end of their time in the Big 12 and first three-four years of the B1G but otherwise they've been pretty bad or average with bad coaches over the last twentyish years.
If OU struggles this year Venables is going to be on the hot seat going into the SEC.

What happens if Venable gets canned and OU struggles to hire their next great coach? Nebraska's had that issue, even USC has struggled to get the coaching hire right after Pete Carroll.

The other thing hanging over OU is their AD Joe Castiglione is in his mid-60's, so there could be a transition in AD leadership in a couple years.

Reactions: FriendlySpartan

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021

They have been able to recruit so well because they have 12 Big12 championships since 2000 and were known as an offensive powerhouse. Now that they have a defensive coach, and are going to routinely get a min of 3/4 losses they could fall very fast.

Unlike texas the university isn’t great, and similar to Nebraska they have an awful location. The moment the winning falls off for a couple years they could be in serious trouble.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
If OU struggles this year Venables is going to be on the hot seat going into the SEC.

What happens if Venable gets canned and OU struggles to hire their next great coach? Nebraska's had that issue, even USC has struggled to get the coaching hire right after Pete Carroll.

The other thing hanging over OU is their AD Joe Castiglione is in his mid-60's, so there could be a transition in AD leadership in a couple years.

Then that's a coaching issue and not conference affiliation.

Nebraska was bad to marginal with Callahan because it was a bad hire and they were in the B12 at the time.

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Yep. I remember when Callahan came in, the home crowd cheered because they came out in a spread formation. Then the Kansas game in 2007 happened.

It's almost as good as the '01 CU game. Almost.

I remember watching that '01 Colorado game. It's wild that there's certain games you can point to that 'broke' a program, but they've truly never been the same since that day. Similar to Miami's NC loss to OSU.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
They have been able to recruit so well because they have 12 Big12 championships since 2000 and were known as an offensive powerhouse. Now that they have a defensive coach, and are going to routinely get a min of 3/4 losses they could fall very fast.

Unlike texas the university isn’t great, and similar to Nebraska they have an awful location. The moment the winning falls off for a couple years they could be in serious trouble.
I could completely buy into that. Their complete change in game philosophy is going to play a huge factor in how well they can recruit and the level of success they have.

I would put the odds of Texas actually finding their place in the top 4 (Bama, Georgia, LSU) rotation far above OU. LSU is going to be a big force. Texas A&M needs a coaching change but could also factor into that layer between the top 4 and OU.