COLUMN: The Big 12 finally feels like a functional family

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Those damn British, it's all the English' fault! Then they bail to the metric in 1965.

I remember some talk about the US going metric, I think during Carter's term? I guess it didn't go very far. It mostly makes more sense overall. I'd get used to it; I think we all would with time. I do like the Fahrenheit better than Celcius though! I might have a hard time with that one.

Will there ever be another serious push for the US to go metric? What do you all think?
Engineers use them both all the time.

Reactions: AlaCyclone

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Those damn British, it's all the English' fault! Then they bail to the metric in 1965.

I remember some talk about the US going metric, I think during Carter's term? I guess it didn't go very far. It mostly makes more sense overall. I'd get used to it; I think we all would with time. I do like the Fahrenheit better than Celcius though! I might have a hard time with that one.

Will there ever be another serious push for the US to go metric? What do you all think?
About the ony thing from that push in the 70s that stuck in the U.S. and sounds "normal" is the liter pop bottle. A liter of pop doesn't sound odd at all to me.

Glad you mentioned the Brits converted in 1965. I've been reading some British books from around WW II era that were using the *imperial* mile measurements, and I wondered when they made the flip. Never looked it up because I knew that the knowledge would dropped in the CF Knowledge base some time! :)

Personally, I don't mind either way. I like our *imperial* measuremnts that we use, but I don't trip out when metric is used either. It's easy enough to convert most of the time (kilos instead of miles, meters instead of yards, etc.). However, like you, I do prefer Farenheit to Celsius, but I can think in C terms if I have to do so when I travel. **30 is hot, 20 is nice, 10 is cold and 0 is ice!**

*Edited from standard to imperial*

**Edit: Celsius is hard for people born in Alabama!**

Last edited:
Reactions: t-noah

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
America is not Australia, where England loaded up the prisons and the ***** houses and sent them away, in fact we are just the opposite. America was founded by those that wanted a better life for themselves and their children, by those that were not going to get the title and inherence that the first son was going to get. Some came for religious freedom, but most came for a better life, few were criminal's con artist or the rest, we had something that was unimaginable in the old world, and that was LAND, cheap land, that they could own, not controlled by the wealthy or the church but by themselves.
When I was in Sydney, Australia, I saw a statue about the penal colony roots. What I learned about it was that Australia became a penal colony in response to the Brits losing Georgia as a penal colony after the American Revolution.

I was aware of all of the individual parts, I just hadn't put two and two together about WHEN and WHY Australia became a penal colony. So, we do have some penal colony roots in this country = Georgia.

ricochet

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2008

I think it was before Carter. I remember learning the metric system in school because we were going to switch and I think that was around 74 or 75.

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
I think it was before Carter. I remember learning the metric system in school because we were going to switch and I think that was around 74 or 75.

You’re right, the initial moves in metric system education seem to have happened in the early to mid 1970s. I remember having some metric system stuff taught in school, but I don’t remember exactly when (I was in fifth grade in 74-75, that might have actually lined up with your recollection).

The US Metric Study was a three-year study (1968 to 1971) that concluded the country would eventually convert to the metric system, and that led to a 1975 law designed to help ease the transition through awareness and public education.

It did not really end up in success.

Of course, “resistance, apathy, and confusion” is a pretty good description of the American public when it comes to, well, everything.

FD6E017F-0C71-4B20-A4C5-90A2B7C2EE13.jpeg

Last edited:

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Yes, you are correct, but maybe more of an emphasis with Carter? I think the '70's push was more of a 'voluntary' adoption of the metric, and education to the idea of it. So I guess people thought about it but pretty quickly said 'no' to the idea.

On the other hand, metric system has/is slowly made its way into our culture and economy. Most notably, it is common in the wine and spirits industry now (liters vs. quarts/oz). But the conversion is slow and still largely 'voluntary'.
Engineers use them both all the time.
Makes sense. And I suppose scientists also, use the metric system more, as a standard. With that said, if science is using it, why don't we just bite the bullet and get in line?

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
This article sums up the metric system in the US, this way.
"Is global uniformity a good thing? Not when it comes to cultural issues, and customary measures are certainly a part of our national culture. But to have brains trained in the thirds, quarters, sixths, eighths, and twelfths of our inches and ounces, as well as the relentless decimals of the metric system can only be beneficial, in the same way that learning a second language is better than knowing only one. That ours is a dual-measurement country is part of our great diversity."
This is probably an accurate statement of where we stand now. The metric system will probably not be mandated in, because Americans, largely, don't want it.

It is an interesting subject though and will probably come to the front again, sooner or later.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
About the ony thing from that push in the 70s that stuck in the U.S. and sounds "normal" is the liter pop bottle. A liter of pop doesn't sound odd at all to me.

Glad you mentioned the Brits converted in 1965. I've been reading some British books from around WW II era that were using the standard mile measurements, and I wondered when they made the flip. Never looked it up because I knew that the knowledge would dropped in the CF Knowledge base some time! :)

Personally, I don't mind either way. I like our standard measuremnts that we use, but I don't trip out when metric is used either. It's easy enough to convert most of the time (kilos instead of miles, meters instead of yards, etc.). However, like you, I do prefer Farenheit to Celsius, but I can think in C terms if I have to do so when I travel. 40 is hot, 30 is nice, 20 is cold and 0 is ice!
And I think the UK got more into the metric system in the '70's, in order to keep up with the European economy. They are probably still mixed (imperial & metric) although likely much more metric than us, for sure.

It's probably what we should do, mandate the metric, but allow mixed.

a1 Sleaz 18300.jpeg

• Informative

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Yes, you are correct, but maybe more of an emphasis with Carter? I think the '70's push was more of a 'voluntary' adoption of the metric, and education to the idea of it. So I guess people thought about it but pretty quickly said 'no' to the idea.

On the other hand, metric system has/is slowly made its way into our culture and economy. Most notably, it is common in the wine and spirits industry now (liters vs. quarts/oz). But the conversion is slow and still largely 'voluntary'.

Makes sense. And I suppose scientists also, use the metric system more, as a standard. With that said, if science is using it, why don't we just bite the bullet and get in line?
Cause Americans are stubborn.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
And I think the UK got more into the metric system in the '70's, in order to keep up with the European economy. They are probably still mixed (imperial & metric) although likely much more metric than us, for sure.

It's probably what we should do, mandate the metric, but allow mixed.

View attachment 114471
And that flying rule of no more than 3.2 oz for your carry on …..

Is 100ml. I mean its 3.3xxxx but that was number chosen (ml not oz).

• Informative

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
"The metric system is a tool of the devil! My car gets 40 rods to the hogshead and that's the way I likes it."

-Abe Simpson
My old wagon used to get 40 stadia to the congius.

:Dhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_obsolete_units_of_measurement

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
What does the conversation have to do with politics or political leanings or the mods' political leanings?

It wasn't even a political discussion. We weren't mentioning any candidates, elected officials, or discussing which modern policies might be changed. It was more a historical discussion about how we should view the history of U.S. immigration and the sociological effects it still has on the country now.

The American refusal to adopt the metric system despite the overwhelming arguments (e.g., consistency with the rest of the world, metric as a base-ten system is more rational than the random, arbitrary measurements of the hodgepodge imperial system, etc.) is a prime example of our continued orneriness.

Americans came here so we *wouldn't* need to do as we're told.

Reactions: BigCyFan

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Hadn’t been on this thread in a while. This is one hell of a rabbit hole.

• Agree
Reactions: Cloneon

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
From the state of the Big XII to trans to debates on American exceptionalism to the metric system, and all in less than 50 posts. This thread is a doozy.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Good riddance. I'll miss Ou but good riddance to Texas, they've wrecked every conference they've ever been in but I think they've met their match in the SEC. Bama and LSU will tell them to go pound sand.
As a co-founding member of the Big 8, sure, but they made their bed with Texas and they can go lie (die) in it. My opinion anyway.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron