Come On!

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Right. Honestly, I think the committee has run its course. Too many biases, subconscious or otherwise, cloud peoples judgement.

Bring back the BCS/Computers to do it all for basketball and football.

The only issue with the BCS, IMO, was that it was limited to 2 teams. It would work great with automatic qualifiers combined with 12/14 teams.

I’m sure there were other issues, but removing people from their biases/storylines and being able to be swayed by coaches making a stink should be removed from the selection process.
The whole reason for the committees is bias. They want a finger on the scales.

• Agree
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
This has been a dream season. I doubt anybody anticipated ISU would be a 2 seed back in November. After the ESPN Invitational, many of us had doubts this team would even make the NCAA tournament. The NCAA tournament is the best tournament anywhere, because anything can happen. And the field seems so wide open this year. So sit back, grab a few beers. and enjoy the games. I can't wait.

And when ISU eventually loses (let's face it, 67 of the 68 teams will lose), I will look back and smile at this season. We will still be talking about this year's Big 12 tournament 20 years from now.

Lastly, I see many people dreading thinking about facing certain teams. Look at it from their perspective though: the other teams are dreading facing ISU! We should not fear anyone; let them fear us. LET'S GO!!
Obviously selfishly I want us to go far but for these guys and the memory of how great this team has been I want them to get to at least a sweet 16. I don't want them to be remembered as a team that blew a top seed because that will always be the discussion if they lose in the first 2 rounds.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Yep. Garbage.

It really makes little sense in the age of conference realignment to pretend conferences don't control the strength of their conference schedule just as much as non conf. Some have more power than others but conferences control the in conference schedules on a whim just as much as teams control their non conference.

Big 12: We have the best conference and toughest schedules because Big Ten and SEC passed on elite top ten basketball programs like Arizona, Kansas, Baylor and Houston while we added several elite basketball programs. We actively made our conference schedules better and created the first/only POWER ONE conference.

Big East: They added UConn, they added Creighton, they've been trying to make their basketball conference tougher for decades, if it's Power 2 Big East is the 2.

SEC: They've chosen to be a so so average basketball conference. They could have added Arizona, KU, Baylor and Houston within or near their geographic footprint and immediately they are #1 or close to Big 12 for #1. They didn't. They chose so so A&M, Texas, and OU. Next time they expand they'll again ignore basketball for football.

Big Ten: They could've added KU, ISU, UConn, Arizona, etc... instead they chose to add Nebraska, USC, Washington, Penn State over the years. UCLA is a sleeping giant but they suck the past few decades compared to the programs they've clearly passed on.

Gonzaga: They could have joined the MWC decades ago and actually played a good conference schedule. Instead they choose a joke conference schedule.

ACC: They consistently passed on #1 basketball program of the past quarter century UCONN. They added 3 crappy basketball programs recently...they made their schedules even worse next year. Further back they consistently passed on good program WVU when WVU needed a home.

Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
It really makes little sense in the age of conference realignment to pretend conferences don't control the strength of their conference schedule just as much as non conf. Some have more power than others but conferences control the in conference schedules on a whim just as much as teams control their non conference.

Big 12: We have the best conference and toughest schedules because Big Ten and SEC passed on elite top ten basketball programs like Arizona, Kansas, Baylor and Houston while we added several elite basketball programs. We actively made our conference schedules better and created the first/only POWER ONE conference.

Big East: They added UConn, they added Creighton, they've been trying to make their basketball conference tougher for decades, if it's Power 2 Big East is the 2.

SEC: They've chosen to be a so so average basketball conference. They could have added Arizona, KU, Baylor and Houston within or near their geographic footprint and immediately they are #1 or close to Big 12 for #1. They didn't. They chose so so A&M, Texas, and OU. Next time they expand they'll again ignore basketball for football.

Big Ten: They could've added KU, ISU, UConn, Arizona, etc... instead they chose to add Nebraska, USC, Washington, Penn State over the years. UCLA is a sleeping giant but they suck the past few decades compared to the programs they've clearly passed on.

Gonzaga: They could have joined the MWC decades ago and actually played a good conference schedule. Instead they choose a joke conference schedule.

ACC: They consistently passed on #1 basketball program of the past quarter century UCONN. They added 3 crappy basketball programs recently...they made their schedules even worse next year. Further back they consistently passed on good program WVU when WVU needed a home.
This is what bothers me about the committee stating that ISU's weak non-con schedule hurt our ranking. Why didn't UNC's weak-@ss conference schedule hurt their ranking?

Also, the seedings didn't seem to be changed because of conference tournament performance, except Illinois and Wisconsin got bumps for it.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
This is what bothers me about the committee stating that ISU's weak non-con schedule hurt our ranking. Why didn't UNC's weak-@ss conference schedule hurt their ranking?

Also, the seedings didn't seem to be changed because of conference tournament performance, except Illinois and Wisconsin got bumps for it.

The ACC just added three geographic outliers that will make the conference schedules even weaker next year.

Will the committee account for that? Nope.

• Agree
Reactions: jcyclonee

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

The bottom line is outside of Houston almost all of the top seeds played an easier schedule than ISU.

It reminds me of when they stole the football playoff away from TCU over Ohio State because of "TCU's schedule" when in actually TCU's schedule was slightly tougher than Ohio State heading into playoff/bowls and neither played a fantastic schedule that year.

In this case it's ISU and UNC both played elite schedules, UNC's was a little easier...but attack the strength of ISU and make up a false narrative that 16th out of 362 is "easy".

Cyclonefan89

Oct 25, 2010
Ankeny
The bottom line is outside of Houston almost all of the top seeds played an easier schedule than ISU.

It reminds me of when they stole the football playoff away from TCU over Ohio State because of "TCU's schedule" when in actually TCU's schedule was slightly tougher than Ohio State heading into playoff/bowls and neither played a fantastic schedule that year.

In this case it's ISU and UNC both played elite schedules, UNC's was a little easier...but attack the strength of ISU and make up a false narrative that 16th out of 362 is "easy".
yeah the whole "weak ooc schedule" was just an excuse to put a blue blood over us. these teams will always have the favor of the committee, just look at michigan state getting a 9 seed when they arguably shouldnt even be in the tournament. go look at their schedule