Come On!

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
I'm more bothered that the committee now views non conf SOS as more important than ENTIRE SEASON SOS.

We were 16 out of 362 for hardest schedule...if anything that should be the reason we lock up a top seed playing better teams than almost any team in the country did, not the reason they drop us 2-4 spots from where our metrics have us.

The false narrative of NET manipulation apparently carried water. It’s so dumb when they have refused to do a similar thing for the SEC in football for years.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I don't know what to say about the stupid non conference controversy. The Big 12 regular season is long, hard, physical, physical and physical. If TJ wants games that allow his guys to wade into the rat race, so be it. Even with a tougher non conference schedule we wouldn't have gotten the Kansas or Baylor treatment.

Other pro sports are going to load management. The elite conference stacking up its non conf schedule flies against that trend in terms of taking care of your pro assets.

Big 12 programs can't get duped into playing the #1 non conf and also the #1 by far regular Power One conference schedule.

The minute we do that they'll just look at total wins and ignore all SOS.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Other pro sports are going to load management. The elite conference stacking up its non conf schedule flies against that trend in terms of taking care of your pro assets.

Big 12 programs can't get duped into playing the #1 non conf and also the #1 by far regular Power One conference schedule.

The minute we do that they'll just look at total wins and ignore all SOS.
Eventually Duke and UNC will be in P2s and the ACC will be in survival mode. At that point I could see 1-12 in the top three conferences earning automatic bids. The rest at large bids and AQs. At that point those 3 conferences would be near 24 members giving half automatic bids.

EvilBetty

Sep 7, 2012
I am far less concerned about UCONN until UCONN happens. If UCONN happens, we made a good run.

I am most concerned about the potential BYU grudge match in the S16. To a lesser degree Illinois, assuming they can get there. After that, the game that concerns me most is either Drake/Washington State in Ro32. Drake because you know they will gain 2.8 million more fans if that game is played and those 2.8 million tavern Hok/Bulldogs will laugh at us for a long time if we lose to them. Washington State is concerning to me only because I know nothing about them and thus fear of the unknown.
Drake off. Eff. 21. Def. Eff. 77
Wash st off. Eff. 71 Def. Eff. 43
Isu off. Eff 56 Def. Eff. 2

According to teamrankings.com

I'd rather see a team that can't score I think.

clone4sure

Sep 5, 2014
AP has us at number #4. IMO, we have two 1 seeds in the East playing for the Final 4. Let's go Iowa State!

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
I never worry about looking that far ahead in a draw. Everyone is worried about Drake, and they'll probably lost to WSU. Everyone is worried about UConn and they might lose early anyway. Everyone is worried about BYU, who could lose first round.

Worry about one game at a time. No point in looking too far ahead since you don't know who we'll play anyway.

Having said that...Drake getting to play in Omaha as a 10 seed is wild. WSU has to be pissed. Like, it was assumed we had to beat Baylor and wrap up a top 3 seed to get put there, and Drake just limps into it? If we're a 10 seed we get sent to Greensborough, NC. Would the committee ever place Iowa State in Des Moines as a 10 seed playing a 7 seed from the Pac 12, or some other major conference? That's an absurd draw for Drake.
It comes from a less-than-intelligent thinking selection committee that wasn't willing to put forth the real effort of properly seeding the teams...(yes, including you Jamie...sry) and we ended up with a 68 team field with lots of weirdness to it.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
The NCAA's seeding of Houston, Iowa State, and Kansas made it painfully clear the Big 12 tournament results were not even a small factor in the selection committee's considerations.

So what's the point of this tournament, other than generating millions more in revenue (mainly from Cyclone fans)? What happened this year will only incentivize more Big 12 teams who finish near the top of the conference standings to 'pull a Kansas' and sit out their star players. Then the Big 12 tournament will become the equivalent of today's bowl games.

• Winner
Reactions: cycloneML

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
The NCAA's seeding of Houston, Iowa State, and Kansas made it painfully clear the Big 12 tournament results were not even a small factor in the selection committee's considerations.

So what's the point of this tournament, other than generating millions more in revenue (mainly from Cyclone fans)? What happened this year will only incentivize more Big 12 teams who finish near the top of the conference standings to 'pull a Kansas' and sit out their star players. Then the Big 12 tournament will become the equivalent of today's bowl games.

Let’s not pretend this was limited to the Big 12 tournament.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Drake off. Eff. 21. Def. Eff. 77
Wash st off. Eff. 71 Def. Eff. 43
Isu off. Eff 56 Def. Eff. 2

According to teamrankings.com

I'd rather see a team that can't score I think.
Washington state is really really big. So it will be really interesting to see how the match up. Enright's has to be a big factor for them.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
This has been a dream season. I doubt anybody anticipated ISU would be a 2 seed back in November. After the ESPN Invitational, many of us had doubts this team would even make the NCAA tournament. The NCAA tournament is the best tournament anywhere, because anything can happen. And the field seems so wide open this year. So sit back, grab a few beers. and enjoy the games. I can't wait.

And when ISU eventually loses (let's face it, 67 of the 68 teams will lose), I will look back and smile at this season. We will still be talking about this year's Big 12 tournament 20 years from now.

Lastly, I see many people dreading thinking about facing certain teams. Look at it from their perspective though: the other teams are dreading facing ISU! We should not fear anyone; let them fear us. LET'S GO!!
THIS^^^

If there's one thing that I've learned after watching Cyclone basketball for 40 years, it's that half the fun is winning. The other half is the dreaming of possibilities you get to do when the team is really good. Right now, this team has given us all the reason to dream big. Really big.

In a few weeks, one team will be left standing and all others will have lost. Heartbreak all around, except for one fanbase and one team. No matter the end result, this will be a year and a team to be remembered.

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
The only thing tough about ISU's draw in my mind is that you potentially have to play the #1 overall seed UCONN down the road. Other than that, a few teams including potentially your first two opponents have just as much regional home advantage as you do, which seems insane for a 2-seed to have to put up with. That said, Drake and South Dakota State have much smaller fan bases. Cyclone faithful should be able to drown them out.

BYU potentially in the Sweet 16 was a pure **** move though, I agree.
I'm ok with playing UCONN because.....

1. It means we are in the Elite 8.
2. We can beat UCONN if we bring our A game.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Let’s not pretend this was limited to the Big 12 tournament.
Of course it's not limited to the Big 12 tournament. Nobody said it was.

The point is that if the selection committee does not factor in the conference tournament results into their decisions, then the teams who are already safely in the tournament will start 'pulling a Kansas' and the conference tournaments will become college basketball's version of bowl games (meaningless exhibitions).

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
I never worry about looking that far ahead in a draw. Everyone is worried about Drake, and they'll probably lost to WSU. Everyone is worried about UConn and they might lose early anyway. Everyone is worried about BYU, who could lose first round.

Worry about one game at a time. No point in looking too far ahead since you don't know who we'll play anyway.

Having said that...Drake getting to play in Omaha as a 10 seed is wild. WSU has to be pissed. Like, it was assumed we had to beat Baylor and wrap up a top 3 seed to get put there, and Drake just limps into it? If we're a 10 seed we get sent to Greensborough, NC. Would the committee ever place Iowa State in Des Moines as a 10 seed playing a 7 seed from the Pac 12, or some other major conference? That's an absurd draw for Drake.
Drake isn't making it past Wazzu. Too many people on here are expecting Drake to win their first game. I'm guessing the fact that they're in the same state as is leads to a much higher percentage on here believing they'll win against the national average.

Reactions: Letterkenny

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
Of course it's not limited to the Big 12 tournament. Nobody said it was.

The point is that if the selection committee does not factor in the conference tournament results into their decisions, then the teams who are already safely in the tournament will start 'pulling a Kansas' and the conference tournaments will become college basketball's version of bowl games (meaningless exhibitions).

I agree. The tournaments mean nothing, unless you are a bubble/out team. I haven’t researched it, but has the committee ever put much stock into the conference tournaments?

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
I agree. The tournaments mean nothing, unless you are a bubble/out team. I haven’t researched it, but has the committee ever put much stock into the conference tournaments?
Not sure, but if teams A and B are competing for a 1 seed, and team A (UNC) loses it's last conference tournament game to a team seeded 10th in their conference, and team B (ISU) wins it's last tournament game by beating the #1 team in the nation by 28 points, seems like a no brainer to me.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
Not sure, but if teams A and B are competing for a 1 seed, and team A (UNC) loses it's last conference tournament game to a team seeded 10th in their conference, and team B (ISU) wins it's last tournament game by beating the #1 team in the nation by 28 points, seems like a no brainer to me.

Maybe, but based on things the chairman said, the committee seemed to already have its top 6 seeds decided going into Saturday. Maybe the order of the teams was different.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Maybe, but based on things the chairman said, the committee seemed to already have its top 6 seeds decided going into Saturday. Maybe the order of the teams was different.
I think you mean they had their storylines all lined up and weren't budging.

• Agree
Reactions: Acer88

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
I think you mean they had their storylines all lined up and weren't budging.

Right. Honestly, I think the committee has run its course. Too many biases, subconscious or otherwise, cloud peoples judgement.

Bring back the BCS/Computers to do it all for basketball and football.

The only issue with the BCS, IMO, was that it was limited to 2 teams. It would work great with automatic qualifiers combined with 12/14 teams.

I’m sure there were other issues, but removing people from their biases/storylines and being able to be swayed by coaches making a stink should be removed from the selection process.