Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
That's a crock, putting it mildly. 60% of cases right now in NY are people who weren't leaving home regularly. How did that happen? One of the most locked down places in the US.

Most businesses that were allowed to stay open came up with their own ways of protecting themselves and their customers. Other businesses would have as well. Going to your local small store would have been safer than going to Walmart.

The economic pain has been exacerbated by fear tactics by certain factions meant to induce panic, with the help of the media (which is still going on, even as none of their claims have turned out in reality). They wanted to economic pain and impression of everything being worse.
giphy.gif

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Cause the shifts are long and you work 6 days a week doing the same tedious job?

No, but you’re trying to make this job seem glamorous. It’s not. But it’s the best job most of them will ever be able to get.

and if you don’t know anything about waterloo, then you shouldn’t comment.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
That's a crock, putting it mildly. 60% of cases right now in NY are people who weren't leaving home regularly. How did that happen? One of the most locked down places in the US.

Most businesses that were allowed to stay open came up with their own ways of protecting themselves and their customers. Other businesses would have as well. Going to your local small store would have been safer than going to Walmart.

The economic pain has been exacerbated by fear tactics by certain factions meant to induce panic, with the help of the media (which is still going on, even as none of their claims have turned out in reality). They wanted to economic pain and impression of everything being worse.

that is a horrible accusation. You can disagree on methods, but accusing anyone of wanting economic pain is truly heinous.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
No, but you’re trying to make this job seem glamorous. It’s not. But it’s the best job most of them will ever be able to get.

and if you don’t know anything about waterloo, then you shouldn’t comment.
It pays really well and better than most jobs that requires no education. It also sucks because you are doing the same tedious work day in and day out and it's hard work, but pay is generally $18/hr plus. Again, I really don't know why this is so hard to figure out.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
There is actually a lot more truth to this statement than the folks want to admit.

The folks that work at Tyson’s have been frightened by upper management. I grew up in that area. The dirty ‘loo is a poor community. Especially in the part of town most of these people live.

they can’t afford the bills.

Maybe take a trip back? Waterloo isn't what is was 30 years ago during the farm crisis when Deere was in trouble.

Outside of the historically low income neighborhoods, Waterloo has made a real resurgence and is growing like crazy to the Southwest right now. It's a good time to live and work in the city.

And the other points above are true. Tyson starts at $16/hr for production workers with benefits and a pretty healthy bonus structure. They also have an onsite clinic and a contract with People's Clinic for uninsured extended family members. They have the healthcare they need.

This case was simply Tyson upper management being unprepared or unwilling to take the proper steps in time. I think they also had some pretty siginificant USDA pressure to keep the supply chain moving. Plus, not an excuse, but the numbers look worse because they are catching asymptomatics that nobody else is even bothering to attempt to test.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Absolutely not. But outside of Tyson employees, Waterloo hasn't been hit terribly hard from reports I've seen.

It’s primarily all concentrated in one location of the town.

I’m going to guess vet, doesn’t travel out MLK very much.

PSYclone22

Visual Analytics Mercenary
SuperFanatic
Aug 15, 2012
Des Moines
You should know who you’re defending first.

they don’t
Regardless of who I'm defending (nobody), making an argument that someone must have experienced something first or even second hand to have knowledge of it is a fallacy.

Don't try to sweep your poor arguments under the carpet.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Maybe take a trip back? Waterloo isn't what is was 30 years ago during the farm crisis when Deere was in trouble.

Outside of the historically low income neighborhoods, Waterloo has made a real resurgence and is growing like crazy to the Southwest right now. It's a good time to live and work in the city.

And the other points above are true. Tyson starts at $16/hr for production workers with benefits and a pretty healthy bonus structure. They also have an onsite clinic and a contract with People's Clinic for uninsured extended family members. They have the healthcare they need.

This case was simply Tyson upper management being unprepared or unwilling to take the proper steps in time. I think they also had some pretty siginificant USDA pressure to keep the supply chain moving. Plus, not an excuse, but the numbers look worse because they are catching asymptomatics that nobody else is even bothering to attempt to test.

I have been back in the last year.

do you spend a lot of time on Logan? Or on the east side past KWWL? What about all of the former John Deere housing up Mitchell Ave?

if you get outside university, away from town, it’s where all the white flight went decades ago.

But living in Hudson isn’t living in Waterloo.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Regardless of who I'm defending (nobody), making an argument that someone must have experienced something first or even second hand to have knowledge of it is a fallacy.

Don't try to sweep your poor arguments under the carpet.

Then you should probably chastise the blanket statements made by others with no basis of knowledge then.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Cedar Falls it’s a town that is connected to Waterloo, familiar?

Ahh so you don’t even live in waterloo.

yep spent a lot of time in CF. It’s a nice tow.

Completely different world than the people you all are assuming knowledge of, though.

although it seemed the crossroads Walmart people kind of started going to the CF one when I was there last year.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
love sub city. One of the very few things I miss about the area.

I hear what you are saying about poor people down there, and yes working at Tyson’s would suck, but it’s not like they are working hard for peanuts. They get paid a fair wage and have the opportunity for advancement out there if they prove capable.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
And my point has been, and will continue to be, that we have to assess the measures we take by both what the benefit might be and what the cost might be. My recent posts have shown the cost of some of our policy decisions (not entirely, as some economic hardship is to be expected in the wake of this, even without overreaction by the government).

Not arguing here, but wondering on these because the answers don't seem to be there.

Should there be increased funding to help with aspects like mental illness and alcoholism? Those things don't just start happening in people because of the last two months. Should there have been more proactive measures to prepare for it?

Since packing plants have had to shut down regardless of orders, there was going to be a back up. What's the plan there?

If a restaurant has most of its staff sick, can it run? How long does it shut down for it to be safe for patrons to fill it consistently for business? It's not like if a place has a fire or water leak or something. How confident are people going to be to go back to a single place that had a viral infection run through its front and back of house and it's not clear if they're recovered?

Would the people that don't feel safe working be compensated? How so?

What was the plan for these aspects back when the information came out about this virus in case a quasi-ban from one country wouldn't be enough? Who should have been giving directions on it?

Status
Not open for further replies.