Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Because the people getting it in Waterloo can't afford to go to the hospital. They have to be on their death bad to consider it.

There is actually a lot more truth to this statement than the folks want to admit.

The folks that work at Tyson’s have been frightened by upper management. I grew up in that area. The dirty ‘loo is a poor community. Especially in the part of town most of these people live.

they can’t afford the bills.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Oh I know they'll bill. I never assumed it was free. ER trips are a hard crank on the wallet, even moreso with ambulance ride.

Yeah, I was just elaborating on why poor people aren't going to get care and get tested. It's not that they'll get refused if they try, it's that they can't afford the aftermath and will generally gamble on getting over their symptoms without medical assistance unless the **** really hits the fan.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Two carts side by side is <6ft apart. Unless the other person is plastered against one shelf and you're plastered against the other shelf, you're probably coming within 2 to 3ft of the person you're passing.

Yeah but for how long? Seconds? C'mon man - just hold your breath, pass the slower carts, and go buy your pop tarts.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
I thought it was law for hospitals to accept all emergency situations regardless of insurance/payment status.

It is. Wheaton Has to take them, but missing work, and the bulls associated with any hospital visits are a lot scarier to these families than the virus.

now that they’ve given Tyson’s immunity for their criminal negligence, these people are completely at the mercy of the best jobs many of them can hope to get. Regardless of the consequences.

I have friends that work there, they’re terrified to miss work.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
I'm legitimately surprised that someone saying "people who don't have insurance or money in the bank will only go to the hospital if they absolutely have to or else they think they are about to die" is apparently a controversial statement.

I’d say it’s more disappointing, and sad.

There’s no way it should be a surprise at this point.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
You see there is this student health building on campus for students and staff to see a Dr. Kind of like urgent care or what not.

I know - I didn't realize the doctors there were good. Unless they've gotten their **** together since I was in school.

Reactions: wxman1

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Yup. Still gonna get a bill.
I was on the edge of a heart attack from an allergy exposure for a couple weeks last spring. I stayed home with no insurance and not enough income to pay for the trip.

But those concerns aren't real for folks who have that stuff.

Dude - the rest of us have our OWN damn concerns.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I'm legitimately surprised that someone saying "people who don't have insurance or money in the bank will only go to the hospital if they absolutely have to or else they think they are about to die" is apparently a controversial statement.
As a former EMT, I can truthfully say that that group uses the ER services instead of the clinics. The ERs can’t turn you away. Unsure of the clinics because that is not a normal delivery for us. We transported mostly Medicare, then Medicaid, and the. Private insurance in order by amount. Very rarely did we encounter someone not covered by those three.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Yup. Still gonna get a bill.
I was on the edge of a heart attack from an allergy exposure for a couple weeks last spring. I stayed home with no insurance and not enough income to pay for the trip.

Thanks. Just had to cut out some family members, and exposure finally stopped.
I also had a good doctor at Student Health during grad school, so I could apply some learning from her to the situation at the time.
CycloneErik, wow! And I thought I had some bad relatives....:eek:

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
That was my point.

And my point has been, and will continue to be, that we have to assess the measures we take by both what the benefit might be and what the cost might be. My recent posts have shown the cost of some of our policy decisions (not entirely, as some economic hardship is to be expected in the wake of this, even without overreaction by the government).

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Because the people getting it in Waterloo can't afford to go to the hospital. They have to be on their death bad to consider it.
This is incredibly dumb. You don't think the workers at meat packing plants are offered health insurance? Also you may think they are incredibly poor, but most of those jobs there make $18/hr+, some even $24/hr+

Status
Not open for further replies.