Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I'm legitimately surprised that someone saying "people who don't have insurance or money in the bank will only go to the hospital if they absolutely have to or else they think they are about to die" is apparently a controversial statement.
It's not controversial, it's just dumb. Those workers in meat packing plants get paid a lot better than your average walmart type worker.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
And my point has been, and will continue to be, that we have to assess the measures we take by both what the benefit might be and what the cost might be. My recent posts have shown the cost of some of our policy decisions (not entirely, as some economic hardship is to be expected in the wake of this, even without overreaction by the government).

Wait, you think the government has overreacted? As far as I'm aware, they haven't made it illegal for businesses to be open. Everything I've seen has been a suggestion.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
There is actually a lot more truth to this statement than the folks want to admit.

The folks that work at Tyson’s have been frightened by upper management. I grew up in that area. The dirty ‘loo is a poor community. Especially in the part of town most of these people live.

they can’t afford the bills.
I'm sure this is true for a lot of them, but there are also a lot of them where this isn't true for.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronavirus-pandemic-deaths-suicides-drugs-alcohol-75000/

"COVID-19 has directly claimed tens of thousands of U.S. lives, but conditions stemming from the novel coronavirus — rampant unemployment, isolation and an uncertain future — could lead to 75,000 deaths from drug or alcohol abuse and suicide, new research suggests."

"The researchers pointed to several factors from the pandemic that could make problems worse:

• The potential for a serious, even deadly infection from a previously unknown microbe.
  • An unprecedented economic shutdown.
  • Skyrocketing unemployment.
  • Months-long social isolation (mandated in many states), sometimes with no set end.
  • Uncertainty about treatment and prevention strategies.
The new study combined information on deaths of despair in 2018 (nearly 182,000) with projected unemployment levels from 2020 to 2029, and economic modeling."

You think you're making a point as to why the shutdowns are bad, but somehow after 2 months of people explaining this to you you still don't understand that almost all of this economic pain was coming no matter what we did. Most **** was going to shut down in a pandemic and if we had done nothing it is likely the economic pain would have been even more severe. The shutdowns just increased the effectiveness of that, and protected workers from the portion of employers who would put their own profits above their workers' health.

Reactions: CloniesForLife

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
This is incredibly dumb. You don't think the workers at meat packing plants are offered health insurance? Also you may think they are incredibly poor, but most of those jobs there make $18/hr+, some even $24/hr+

True. Have worked in a meat processing plant.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Wait, you think the government has overreacted? As far as I'm aware, they haven't made it illegal for businesses to be open. Everything I've seen has been a suggestion.

In Iowa, it has been pretty balanced, IMO. Not so in Texas, Michigan and other states where they will arrest you for opening your business (or would have, in the case of Texas).

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
But Cat knows more about current meat packing plants because he lived in Waterloo 30+ years ago.

Do you live in Waterloo? It’s a yes or no question.

and I have lifelong friends that work there currently.

what do you know about it?

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
You think you're making a point as to why the shutdowns are bad, but somehow after 2 months of people explaining this to you you still don't understand that almost all of this economic pain was coming no matter what we did. Most **** was going to shut down in a pandemic and if we had done nothing it is likely the economic pain would have been even more severe. The shutdowns just increased the effectiveness of that, and protected workers from the portion of employers who would put their own profits above their workers' health.

That's a crock, putting it mildly. 66% of cases right now in NY are people who weren't leaving home regularly. How did that happen? One of the most locked down places in the US.

Most businesses that were allowed to stay open came up with their own ways of protecting themselves and their customers. Other businesses would have as well. Going to your local small store would have been safer than going to Walmart.

The economic pain has been exacerbated by fear tactics by certain factions meant to induce panic, with the help of the media (which is still going on, even as none of their claims have turned out in reality). They wanted economic pain and the impression of everything being worse.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.