Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronavirus-pandemic-deaths-suicides-drugs-alcohol-75000/

"COVID-19 has directly claimed tens of thousands of U.S. lives, but conditions stemming from the novel coronavirus — rampant unemployment, isolation and an uncertain future — could lead to 75,000 deaths from drug or alcohol abuse and suicide, new research suggests."

"The researchers pointed to several factors from the pandemic that could make problems worse:

• The potential for a serious, even deadly infection from a previously unknown microbe.
  • An unprecedented economic shutdown.
  • Skyrocketing unemployment.
  • Months-long social isolation (mandated in many states), sometimes with no set end.
  • Uncertainty about treatment and prevention strategies.
The new study combined information on deaths of despair in 2018 (nearly 182,000) with projected unemployment levels from 2020 to 2029, and economic modeling."

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I'm legitimately surprised that someone saying "people who don't have insurance or money in the bank will only go to the hospital if they absolutely have to or else they think they are about to die" is apparently a controversial statement.

I took his comment as saying they are getting denied access to the hospital when needed. I am open to hear otherwise. I can get behind a statement saying they cant afford to go to a doctor via clinic so they wont. That makes more sense to me. The hospital part threw me off a bit.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I'm legitimately surprised that someone saying "people who don't have insurance or money in the bank will only go to the hospital if they absolutely have to or else they think they are about to die" is apparently a controversial statement.

Yup. Still gonna get a bill.
I was on the edge of a heart attack from an allergy exposure for a couple weeks last spring. I stayed home with no insurance and not enough income to pay for the trip.

But those concerns aren't real for folks who have that stuff.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I took his comment as saying they are getting denied access to the hospital when needed. I am open to hear otherwise. I can get behind a statement saying they cant afford to go to a doctor via clinic so they wont. That makes more sense to me. The hospital part threw me off a bit.

No, they are not getting denied. They just will wait it out at home a lot longer than most of the rest of us because of their financial situation. They will not see a doctor unless they have no other choice.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Yup. Still gonna get a bill.
I was on the edge of a heart attack from an allergy exposure for a couple weeks last spring. I stayed home with no insurance and not enough income to pay for the trip.

But those concerns aren't real for folks who have that stuff.

Sorry to hear that Erik. Im glad you're ok.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
No, they are not getting denied. They just will wait it out at home a lot longer than most of the rest of us because of their financial situation. They will not see a doctor unless they have no other choice.

Understandable. Thank you for clarifying.

Reactions: isutrevman

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronavirus-pandemic-deaths-suicides-drugs-alcohol-75000/

"COVID-19 has directly claimed tens of thousands of U.S. lives, but conditions stemming from the novel coronavirus — rampant unemployment, isolation and an uncertain future — could lead to 75,000 deaths from drug or alcohol abuse and suicide, new research suggests."

"The researchers pointed to several factors from the pandemic that could make problems worse:

• The potential for a serious, even deadly infection from a previously unknown microbe.
  • Months-long social isolation (mandated in many states), sometimes with no set end.
The new study combined information on deaths of despair in 2018 (nearly 182,000) with projected unemployment levels from 2020 to 2029, and economic modeling."

There's that 'could' word again.

I mean, people die every day, right?

That's only slightly more than the flu, so what's the worry now?

Are people that are able to, willing to contribute to funding for the mental health of citizens?

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
I see what you're meaning now. I guess I'm not following the 6' principle when passing. But that's why we should all be wearing masks. It's impossible to always be following that in a store.
Yeah, honestly I do the same. I try to make eye contact with folks as we approach and if it looks like they are yielding or moving over then I absolutely try to accommodate 6+ feet. If they're clueless and not paying any attention, I just try to get past them as quickly as possible.

Reactions: isutrevman

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo

I took it as a dig at Black Hawk County. Probably too sensitive but it's getting old hearing my hometown run down in all sorts of media simply because we happen to have diversity and a meat packing plant...

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
There's that 'could' word again.

I mean, people die every day, right?

That's only slightly more than the flu, so what's the worry now?

Are people that are able to, willing to contribute to funding for the mental health of citizens?
Every expert and model predicting Covid=19 deaths has included the word "could". That doesn't mean we should ignore them.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Yeah, they'll accept you.

But then they'll send you a full cost bill that you probably can never pay off. It's a Sophie's choice.

Oh I know they'll bill. I never assumed it was free. ER trips are a hard crank on the wallet, even moreso with ambulance ride.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I took it as a dig at Black Hawk County. Probably too sensitive but it's getting old hearing my hometown run down in all sorts of media simply because we happen to have diversity and a meat packing plant...

Sorry, that was not my intention to be a general jab at Black Hawk county. It's just that those large numbers you see for the county are very much concentrated to a segment of the population that does not have the financial means to go to the hospital without crippling effects financially. It's simply about whos being infected in the county, and not spread out like we see in many other areas.

Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009

milton.gif
But but but I was told that life expectancy goes UP during economic recessions, so we didn't have to worry about making tradeoffs...

Reactions: Cyclonepride
Status
Not open for further replies.