Covid still frolicking around

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
@cowgirl836 one way to check is to get a titers test. If you have had it, your levels are generally higher and hold much longer than the shot. They used to do them when I gave blood/plasma but quit doing that.

That was how I found out I had Covid at least twice (no symptoms) because my titers went up.

yeah it was one of those things where I'm curious but not curious enough to find the time to get poked more :p

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Got the flu vaccine this week...annoying headache the next day, nothing else past that. Didn't get covid vaccine, might do so later on -- just had covid in the house a couple weeks ago. Fought it off without issue, tested negative toward the end of it. Lucky me.

Reactions: mj4cy

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
I had it once that I know of and was asymptomatic so I'll just take my chances on no boosters. I'm sure I've had it more than once by now but my body kicks it's ass on it's own apparently.

Reactions: Acylum

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I was dealing with Covid when Iowa State Upset Oklahoma State back in 2021. At least I had a good memory of that experience. I also got Influenza A a few months later. I know that Covid affects people in varying ways but the Influenza was way worse than Covid for me.
I had Covid last February and to be safe I followed the CDC isolation protocols. however i did go running multiple times with no issues. The next month I got pneumonia from a ski trip at that as a lot worse for me. walking and talking exhausted me.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
I'm getting older every year, so this past month I decided to get the RSV, COVID, and the extra strength flu vaccines.

While I felt some very minor side effects from the RSV and flu vax's, the COVID vax knocked me on my butt for a couple days. I'd do the same all over again, though, because I don't want to end up in the hospital whenever I do get COVID.

Skyh13

Mar 17, 2006
To my knowledge I’ve never had the flu, but I got COVID for the first time 3-ish weeks ago and that’s just about the worst I’ve felt being sick, maybe outside of an awful bout of food poisoning. Chills and fever were really bad, and a few days into it just walking around would require me to rest a while afterwards.

• Friendly
Reactions: Cfinnerty16

Cfinnerty16

Visual Analytics Czar
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
West Des Moines
I had Covid last February and to be safe I followed the CDC isolation protocols. however i did go running multiple times with no issues. The next month I got pneumonia from a ski trip at that as a lot worse for me. walking and talking exhausted me.
I could feel myself getting sick on Sunday and still went on a run, so I feel you there.
Although, I'm positive that I couldn't run yesterday or today. And I normally run 5 days a week, so this is incredibly annoying.

ISUinOR

Nov 8, 2007
Portland, OR
I think it's still true that you won't get Shingles if you never had Chicken Pox, correct? If so, that might be the one thing I lucked out on.
Not true. I had chicken pox and got shingles a few years ago. Mine was on my back. Painful, irritating for over a week. So lucky I didn't have it on my face like others often do.

• Informative
Reactions: Jer

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I think they hold a ..........very different stance on Covid than I do but IDK, I never really interact with that one. Can tell at 50yds when it's not worth it.

Yeah I can see if someone brought the political pieces to it (although I'm not a fan of that reaction to start) but I'm not sure where 'this or that happened' fits the bill for that kind of response.

• Agree
Reactions: cowgirl836 and MJ29

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I could feel myself getting sick on Sunday and still went on a run, so I feel you there.
Although, I'm positive that I couldn't run yesterday or today. And I normally run 5 days a week, so this is incredibly annoying.

hope it passes quickly. Your body is at least learning how to fight it off.

• Friendly
Reactions: Cfinnerty16

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
Not true. I had chicken pox and got shingles a few years ago. Mine was on my back. Painful, irritating for over a week. So lucky I didn't have it on my face like others often do.
I thought what Jeremy was saying (and what I thought was true), was that you can only get shingles if you have had chicken pox before. So if you have never had chicken pox or you got the vaccine, you would not get shingles.

Reactions: cowgirl836

Kagavi

Mar 4, 2013
California
www.kagavi.com
I'm sorry to hear about the issues of others.

The tricky thing with pandemics - there is no linear progression. It can turn deadly again at any moment and migation measurements help prevent this possibility.

Long Covid is a huge, underreported concern and is manifesting in many ways, including premature death from other issues or the increase in autoimmune disease in children. Everyone is at risk, regardless or whether there were initial symptoms or not. A simple stroll through medical papers across the world bears this out.

After the 1918 flu pandemic, many decades later there was still a clear delineating line with some who had it and demonstrated adverse symptoms including early death.

Vaccines (of any kind) can rarely have side effects, some serious, but the science is clear that the risk is far outweighed by potential complications from the actual disease. Same holds true for Covid. Research shows that humans are actually terrible at risk assessment. Mathematically speaking, I know which magic box I'm going to open every time.

I think the fast deployment of the Covid vaccines was really amazing. The mRNA technology had already been around for decades and there's other stuff like CRISPR. I'm always dismayed when some turn their backs on progress for the common good. If we can make things better for others, why not do it?

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I think it's still true that you won't get Shingles if you never had Chicken Pox, correct? If so, that might be the one thing I lucked out on.

Adult Chicken Pox much more severe than that as a child. And you can easily contract it. Plus you can catch chicken pox from a person who has shingles. But not the other way around.

Glad I’ve had them. Glad I’m vaccinated. Protection.

Reactions: Jer and MJ29
Status
Not open for further replies.