CR Gazette calling for transparency from Ferentz

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Wow…. good on the CR Gazette! Grab the popcorn folks, hopefully this gets good!!

Of course they’ll probably lose their access over this. Hlas might have to buy a ticket to cover the games now.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Press credentials:

200.gif

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Who would have thought the newspaper Hawkeye fans depend on would be the one who finally has the courage to call Ferentz to the carpet. Wonder if other media outlets might suddenly find the courage to join the Gazette.

More importantly, the cowardly Board of Regents has been conspicuously silent throughout this entire ordeal. It's time they find their courage as well.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Who would have thought the newspaper Hawkeye fans depend on would be the one who finally has the courage to call Ferentz to the carpet. Wonder if other media outlets might suddenly find the courage to join the Gazette.

More importantly, the cowardly Board of Regents has been conspicuously silent throughout this entire ordeal. It's time they find their courage as well.

Yeah…. where is the BOR at? They’d be all over ISU if this s**t was going on here.

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
It’s also telling that Steppe is already the second Gazette writer on the Hawkeye football beat after Morehouse left just last year (after 2020, I mean). In fact, he took over in September during the season when Leah Vann bailed for Louisiana. I wonder if Vann - the Texas grad who bragged with an OU friend about “killing the Big 12” while she was covering the Hawkeyes for the Gazette - would have been bold enough to break that diversity story.

Last edited:

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
Wow…. good on the CR Gazette! Grab the popcorn folks, hopefully this gets good!!

Of course they’ll probably lose their access over this. Hlas might have to buy a ticket to cover the games now.
It used to be the Des Moines Register paid for their press passes. Don't know if that was the case anymore.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I realize the UI President is new to her job, hired in July 2021. But her silence and inaction are startling. Seems crazy the University President would allow the Football Coach to have oversight over a committee whose role is to evaluate and offer recommendations to improve racial equity for the FOOTBALL PROGRAM. That's like putting Donald Trump in charge of January 6 riot investigation!!

But the real blame lies with Gary Barta. As AD, Barta should have stepped in and told Ferentz that any committee evaluating racial equity in the football program would have to report directly to Barta or another University Executive outside the athletic department.

The major newspapers in Iowa need to be asking Barbara Wilson & Gary Barta the tough questions, not Ferentz. Focusing on Ferentz' decision to disband the committee is worth bringing attention to, but it misses the mark in that Wilson & Barta are Ferentz' bosses!!

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Why is this in the ISU Football forum—and not Instate Rivals?
Because I screwed up when I posted this. Mods should feel free to move it to the rivals forum.

• Friendly
Reactions: NWICY

FallOf81

Oct 24, 2017
What a joke. Like some reporter is going to bring down the most powerful man in the state. Hell Ferentz probably planted the story.

CydeofFries

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 10, 2017
Not surprised the Gazette is getting up in arms about this. The response against the original article wasn't denying any of the facts in the article but was disparaging the Gazette for "journalistic integrity" when UofI wouldn't comment and Ferentz just released a statement to them.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I have long said that Ferentz is the Obi-Wan Kenobi of eastern Iowa! He could commit a huge mistake...the media would ask about it and KF would bring out the "these are not the droids you are looking for" line and the eastern Iowa media would go back their offices and write a story about how great KF is!

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
I realize the UI President is new to her job, hired in July 2021. But her silence and inaction are startling. Seems crazy the University President would allow the Football Coach to have oversight over a committee whose role is to evaluate and offer recommendations to improve racial equity for the FOOTBALL PROGRAM. That's like putting Donald Trump in charge of January 6 riot investigation!!

But the real blame lies with Gary Barta. As AD, Barta should have stepped in and told Ferentz that any committee evaluating racial equity in the football program would have to report directly to Barta or another University Executive outside the athletic department.

The major newspapers in Iowa need to be asking Barbara Wilson & Gary Barta the tough questions, not Ferentz. Focusing on Ferentz' decision to disband the committee is worth bringing attention to, but it misses the mark in that Wilson & Barta are Ferentz' bosses!!

The committee shouldn't have reported to anyone within the AD.