CR Gazette calling for transparency from Ferentz

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
What I am trying to figure out is- what is this REALLY?

1. A couple of nobody reporters from the CRG are going to try to take down Kaptain Kirk?

2. The CRG is begging to get an exclusive interview from Kaptain Kirk so he cna "get his side of the story out"?

I gotta lean towards 2, honestly. You use a couple nobody reporters as cannon fodder, offer to ban them, if you sit down with Mike Hlas for a couple hours. OK, an hour. OK, 30 minutes.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015

1. A couple of nobody reporters from the CRG are going to try to take down Kaptain Kirk?

2. The CRG is begging to get an exclusive interview from Kaptain Kirk so he cna "get his side of the story out"?

I gotta lean towards 2, honestly. You use a couple nobody reporters as cannon fodder, offer to ban them, if you sit down with Mike Hlas for a couple hours. OK, an hour. OK, 30 minutes.
I'd say you're overthinking it.

I doubt the CR Gazette has any kind of agenda, other than to call out a public university for trying to cover up a football program that has been found through multiple investigations to engage in racism.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

manufacturing a rebound story is hot in media these days. Gotta have a fall to have a comeback.

Last edited:

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
The committee shouldn't have reported to anyone within the AD.

Yeah, the single most insane aspect of the whole thing. Even more than punishing the #1 perpetrator with a check for $1M. Letting the accused be his own prosecutor and judge. Shocking it all turned out OK, really.

But with the UI AD, nothing should shock us. Firing coaches for discriminatory reasons and publicly losing the lawsuits over them, retiring Garza's jersey while still active but Roy Marble forgotten, giving Kirk faux bowl bonuses while cutting womens' sports, just all of it. If someone told you it was all happening, you would not believe it because it is ludicrous.

The complete and total lack of accountability for anything seems to be the single biggest defining feature of the Iowa Athletic Department.

Neptune78

Aug 12, 2020
East of Neptune, IA.

You might have it here. It will be interesting to see how long it will be before Hlas puts his name to a column on the situation.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Yeah, the single most insane aspect of the whole thing. Even more than punishing the #1 perpetrator with a check for $1M. Letting the accused be his own prosecutor and judge. Shocking it all turned out OK, really.

But with the UI AD, nothing should shock us. Firing coaches for discriminatory reasons and publicly losing the lawsuits over them, retiring Garza's jersey while still active but Roy Marble forgotten, giving Kirk faux bowl bonuses while cutting womens' sports, just all of it. If someone told you it was all happening, you would not believe it because it is ludicrous.

The complete and total lack of accountability for anything seems to be the single biggest defining feature of the Iowa Athletic Department.
Agree!

When you add to this the fact that those "above" Ferentz have cowered away from confronting this mess, it becomes clear that Ferentz has more power than the Director of Athletics, the University President, and the Board of Regents.

I've been very critical of the CR Gazette in the past for their slanted coverage of Hawkeye athletics, but I really have to applaud them this time for the courage they've shown.

• Haha
Reactions: criticalobserver

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Not to worry. Happened to be sitting around last night with that awful Soundoff, when Fales comes on and talks about how great it is that Iowa fans "settle" and aren't like Nebraska fans.

And that it's good Iowa fans realize that Ferentz is a good coach and a good man.

These guys are so clueless. Black Heart Gold Pants called for Ferentz to step down over the Satterfield and Everson sexual assault case because they actually read the court docs. This was not "mistakes were made," this was someone taking the very actions you would take if you were trying to cover up a sexual assault without doing something overtly criminal. But since he gave the Rafael Palmeiro "how dare you question my character" finger wagging statement in the press conference people just took his word for it.

Add in the Rhabdo award and the racism within the program, if you think Kirk's a good man, you just aren't very smart. In the end he's just another guy protecting his millions, reputation, and entitled brat of a kid, and uses his power to take out anyone that gets in the way.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Not to worry. Happened to be sitting around last night with that awful Soundoff, when Fales comes on and talks about how great it is that Iowa fans "settle" and aren't like Nebraska fans.

And that it's good Iowa fans realize that Ferentz is a good coach and a good man.

These guys are so clueless. Black Heart Gold Pants called for Ferentz to step down over the Satterfield and Everson sexual assault case because they actually read the court docs. This was not "mistakes were made," this was someone taking the very actions you would take if you were trying to cover up a sexual assault without doing something overtly criminal. But since he gave the Rafael Palmeiro "how dare you question my character" finger wagging statement in the press conference people just took his word for it.

Add in the Rhabdo award and the racism within the program, if you think Kirk's a good man, you just aren't very smart. In the end he's just another guy protecting his millions, reputation, and entitled brat of a kid, and uses his power to take out anyone that gets in the way.

Yeah, the emperor just re-shaped that "committee" more to his liking (he is the committee") nothing to see here, move along.

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
The inability by the U of I athletics program, and their supporters, to look internally and self reflect is so blatant and sad. It may still be quite some time, but there will come a time when we all look back and say "you could see the downfall coming from miles away".

• Winner
Reactions: motorcy90

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
The inability by the U of I athletics program, and their supporters, to look internally and self reflect is so blatant and sad. It may still be quite some time, but there will come a time when we all look back and say "you could see the downfall coming from miles away".
I'm not sure how you can expect the UI AD to have self awareness when the media in this state are actively telling them and the public that all these things are overblown, Ferentz isn't perfect but he's a good person trying to do the right thing, and they are better off having Ferentz at the helm to correct problems.

erinmd32

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2015

Not only did the BHGP (who are now at Go Iowa Awesome) call for Ferentz to step down they called for a few others too as well. In 2022, I don't think Ferentz survives that....this didn't happen very long as Pierre Pierce as well. It blows my mind how that happened and we all just moved on.

• Winner
Reactions: motorcy90

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
That paper's barely clinging to life, better get the facts out fast.
You're right. They are barely clinging to life.
They know something, but if they let it out, It would be the final nail in the coffin.
It's why none of the central Iowa reporters aren't going near the story. They could lose their whole career for reporting a single detail.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Like most dictatorships, the son will ascend to the throne and the reign will continue... :eek: ;)
The Iowa fans were OK with the off the field stuff.

But a good portion will revolt if Brain gets handed the reigns if the offense continues to be bad. The one thing most Iowa fans actually get right is that their offense is terrible, and Brain is terrible.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclones1969

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
If all these newspapers are too afraid to run with this story for fear of bringing down their paper house, why don't we see local TV stations poking the bear a little more? Seems they might have a little more stability and support built in from their respective motherships to bring down the Ferentz Empire

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
If all these newspapers are too afraid to run with this story for fear of bringing down their paper house, why don't we see local TV stations poking the bear a little more? Seems they might have a little more stability and support built in from their respective motherships to bring down the Ferentz Empire

TV stations aren't really local any more.