Credit Cards

Primetime26

Sep 7, 2012
any recommendations for a good card that I would primarily use for Gas?

Have a long commute. Preferably no fee.

Thanks!

JD720

Jan 3, 2009

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
The Citi Custom Cash is the highest cash back % I've seen. It's 5% for the category you spend the most, so you could get 5% back on gas if you use it only (or even mostly) for gas.

Just a heads up, this card does have a monthly cap of $500 dollars for the 5% category. I don't know how much @Primetime26 spends on gas in a month but if it's more than $500 you may want to look at something else.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
A billing cycle is ~1 month. Unless you spend $1000 a month on gas, I would choose the Citi card. The runner up being the Amex Blue Cash Preferred Card. Amex if you want a really good grocery card that is comparable in gas if you spend >$700+ month on gas

Example:
$500 @ 5% is $25, $200 additional at 1% is $2 for $27 total
$700 @ 3% is $21. Plus 6% rewards on groceries (Up to $6K annually)

So for a gas only card, getting 5% seems pretty good. Plus it looks like Citi is offering a $200 cash back incentive to sign up right now. You just have to spend $1500 across the first 6 months.

cedarstrip

Aug 26, 2013
I just returned from Alaska and had a notice in the mail that my Alaska Airlines CC is increasing the annual fee from $65? to $95. The main reason I got the card was for the trip I just got back from (it saved me over $1000 with the introductory offer/baggage fees). Now seems like a good time to drop it.

I will be getting a mortgage next year so I don't want to negatively effect my credit score which is excellent right now. I have two other cards and don't carry a balance.

Anything I should think about? Should I just pay $95 until the mortgage is secured or opt out?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
any recommendations for a good card that I would primarily use for Gas?

Have a long commute. Preferably no fee.

Thanks!
Try to stack them also. If you get a CC that gives 5%, then use that at a Caseys and use their rewards that is like 2-3 cents back in their rewards.

• Winner
Reactions: 1100011CS

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
I just returned from Alaska and had a notice in the mail that my Alaska Airlines CC is increasing the annual fee from $65? to $95. The main reason I got the card was for the trip I just got back from (it saved me over $1000 with the introductory offer/baggage fees). Now seems like a good time to drop it.

I will be getting a mortgage next year so I don't want to negatively effect my credit score which is excellent right now. I have two other cards and don't carry a balance.

Anything I should think about? Should I just pay $95 until the mortgage is secured or opt out?
Keep the card until your mortgage is secured.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Try to stack them also. If you get a CC that gives 5%, then use that at a Caseys and use their rewards that is like 2-3 cents back in their rewards.

I need to remember to do this with Casey's when I visit Iowa.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
If you're responsible, this is a good move for you.

Nerdwallet is a good starting point. A lot of the rewards depend on what you're targeting, whether it is cash back or travel rewards.

Ideally, the interest rate never matters to you as well.
I've never used a credit card, never borrowed money and therefor have no credit history other than bill paying. It hasn't impacted me in the least that I can tell. I pay cash for everything. If I don't have enough cash, then I wait until I do. I know, I'm odd.

Reactions: NWICY

cedarstrip

Aug 26, 2013
I've never used a credit card, never borrowed money and therefor have no credit history other than bill paying. It hasn't impacted me in the least that I can tell. I pay cash for everything. If I don't have enough cash, then I wait until I do. I know, I'm odd.
This seems impossible to me. How do you buy airline tickets, rent a car, or book a hotel room? I mean good for you, but it's not for me.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Probably only impacts your insurance, assuming you don't self insure.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
This seems impossible to me. How do you buy airline tickets, rent a car, or book a hotel room? I mean good for you, but it's not for me.
I don't buy airline tickets, but you can always use cash or at least you could the two times I did buy airline tickets back in the 70s. I've also rented cars without a credit card, but again, back in the 70s. I just stayed in a hotel this spring/early summer when a storm knocked out my electricity for four days. I had no problem using a debit card. I know some hotels won't accept a debit card for a deposit. I also know some car rental places won't accept a debit card for the same reason. I lead a pretty simple life and don't use them a lot anyway.

Reactions: Cupped and NWICY

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx

You don’t use the annual companion fare deal?

Pragmatic_Clone

Jul 25, 2021
USA
I've had a Navy Federal rewards Visa card for 30 years. No idea what my interest rate is, but I get around $500 a year cash back. Credit cards are a horrible idea in general, but so are hookers and blow, so it's the lesser of two evils for me. I'm sure I've been super helpful. LOL

Reactions: NWICY and cyfan21