CUSA AD talks about Big 12 schools

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I dont see whats so bad about a 20 team bball conference. 4, 5 team divisions. You wont play everyone every year, but we've accepted that for football, i dont see why we can't accept that for basketball.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I dont see whats so bad about a 20 team bball conference. 4, 5 team divisions. You wont play everyone every year, but we've accepted that for football, i dont see why we can't accept that for basketball.

At this point we can't be picky...but it is a downer to think about our MBB conference tourney being held in NYC! Won't be the same as some of the advantages we had in KC for sure...oh well!

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
At this point we can't be picky...but it is a downer to think about our MBB conference tourney being held in NYC! Won't be the same as some of the advantages we had in KC for sure...oh well!

agreed. unfortunately theres no conference that will be putting its tourney in KC at this point.

actually makes me hope we keep the KSU game in KC going, as it'll be our only reason to go down there anymore.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
I must admit, if ISU went to conference USA, it would be hard for me to maintain my 'rabid' fan status. I would still be a fan, but it wouldn't be such a big part of my life or provide me with so much enjoyment.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
CUSA- all the disadvantages of being a north school recruiting against southern schools in your conference (like the big 12) without the advantages of being in a BCS league. No thanks. Id rather not be the northern outpost again. Gotta think we'd have a shot at the BE or MWC before CUSA.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
I must admit, if ISU went to conference USA, it would be hard for me to maintain my 'rabid' fan status. I would still be a fan, but it wouldn't be such a big part of my life or provide me with so much enjoyment.

I'm sure a lot of people feel this way, which is why it would be such a disaster if we went there. I could live with the MWC but not the MAC or CUSA.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I dont think we want to be in a 20 team bball conference and the bball schools wont leave the BE, the negotiations seem to have hit a wall

Why the **** not? that is completely stupid. So you are going to give up basically your football program just so you don't have to compete against 19 other schools? That is stupid. I have been a huge GG and JP backer, but if we have the opportunity to go to the Big East and we don't take it and end up in C-USA, I'm done. I will always be a Cyclone but if the AD is not willing to help itself I can't support that.

CYVADER

Nov 16, 2006
Cornfields
I was speaking on behalf of who speaks for us

so you're telling me that gg and or jp told you that this was the case? if not where are you getting this? not doubting at all-after the flak i took for starting the cael to psu thread on here i understand what you would be going through, but can you tell us any more or elaborate?

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
Overall the C-USA is a worse case scenario for ISU than being in a 20 league basketball team...seriously. Bite the bullet if that is the case.

Not to mention, our program would get overall better by being in association with that kind of power conference!

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
CUSA? Better than the MAC but certainly not better than the Big East or Mountain West. I went to a Tulane MBB game this year at Tulane and I don't think they drew 500 people for the conference game against SMU.

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
CUSA? Better than the MAC but certainly not better than the Big East or Mountain West. I went to a Tulane MBB game this year at Tulane and I don't think they drew 500 people for the conference game against SMU.

Ok, just curious to know why you think being in the C-USA is better than the MAC. It isn't like we can move our school down there...we are still in Iowa. Both of these are bad options, but it really is a wash at that level.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
If we're not even trying to talk to the Big East or MWC, and only talking to CUSA, I'm done. It seems like the Big East is pretty open to the idea. JP is better than that.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
wow, I find that extremely hard to believe. The outfall of joining CUSA rather than the BE would be devastating.

I can't imagine anyone is talking to CUSA at this point too much. If that happens, it really is the end for ISU athletics. Attendance will drop to about 20K a game is Rice, East Carolina, UTEP and Central Florida make up the home schedule.

I am sure JP wouldn't mind a 20 team bball conference as oppsed to CUSA.

CUSA would be a disaster. Absolute disaster.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
Ok, just curious to know why you think being in the C-USA is better than the MAC. It isn't like we can move our school down there...we are still in Iowa. Both of these are bad options, but it really is a wash at that level.

Just look at the list of schools...CUSA is better from an academic standpoint, an athletic standpoint, and overall has a higher profile list of schools.

Athletically:

ECU - up and coming FB program
UH - solid FB program, great MBB history, solid T&F
Marshall - decent recent FB history
Memphis - top tier MBB
Rice - Top tier baseball
SMU - solid FB history and re-emerging
USM - solid FB history, good baseball
Tulane - very good baseball
Tulsa - good MBB history, FB emerging
UAB - good MBB history, FB emerging
UCF - FB emerging...new stadium
UTEP - great MBB history

Akron - ?
BG - Urban Meyer used to coach here
Buffalo - Turner Gill used to coach here
KSU - ?
Miami - Cradle of coaches...that go elsewhere
Ohio U - Frankie Solich
Ball St - has has some ok MBB
CMU - Kelly used to coach here
EMU - ?
NIU - very undersized RBs that gain lots of yards
Toledo - ?
WMU - ?

Academically...Rice, SMU and Tulane are very very good schools. The only MAC school maybe in their league is Miami.

Bottom line is the CUSA schools are just higher profile / better schools to affiliate with. The largest endowment in the MAC is Bufallo at only about $600 million. CUSA has several schools with endowments over a billion dollars...notably Rice at $3.6 billion and SMU at $1.4 billion.

I just think that the MAC is a bunch of second and third tier midwestern schools while the schools in CUSA have more cache'.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
If we end up in the CUSA when the Big East is openly campaigning (if the Big East wanted to, they could deny Jim Williams's story. They're not doing that) for us, Pollard and Geoffry should be fired.

That said, I really don't believe that they're putting that much effort into C-USA. Maybe just making sure there's and absolute worst case back up plan.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
If we end up in the CUSA when the Big East is openly campaigning (if the Big East wanted to, they could deny Jim Williams's story. They're not doing that) for us, Pollard and Geoffry should be fired.

That said, I really don't believe that they're putting that much effort into C-USA. Maybe just making sure there's and absolute worst case back up plan.

The basketball confernce thing is manageable. Just make two divisons of 10 teams...play most of your games in divison to keep the travel down, put all the east coast schools in one division...put Depaul, Marquette, ISU, KSU, KU, MO, Cinncy, Lville, ND, SF in the other....the east coast schools are happy cause they play each other, outisde of SF the travel is fine for everyone else

Basketball isn't going to drive this anyway, i think the Big East will let the bball schools go start their own conf if they want to, the big east needs 4 more football schools or they won't survive